June 15, 2019, 04:48:56 PM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Japanese Cinema  (Read 2948 times)

dawood

Japanese Cinema
« on: September 02, 2009, 07:58:27 PM »
I have always been fascinated with japanese cinema both young and old...  but it has always been difficult for me to find look up japanese movies cos of the names and stuff

What i would like to know is are you guys interested in japanese cinema? and what is it that you like about japanese cinema....        and you can include the works of studio ghibli for those anime enthusiasts

for me its been the cinematography... they way they take certain shots in a film... also the story american movies are usually too predictive or too melodramatic or theres too much action for the sake of it...

i've actually found a load of what seem to be really good movies which i've never seen before on this link... for both guys and gals.... lol
http://gaijinnosekai.wordpress.com/2007/12/15/the-very-best-of-japanese-cinema/

but please if there any movies you have seen which aren't on the list tell me about them... regardless whether i've seen them before or not i want to read your views or reviews

Offline SaiHawkeye

• Producer-san
    • View Profile
Re: Japanese Cinema
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2009, 08:43:41 PM »
I'm a huge fan of Asian cinema overall and not just movies. I really love the humor found in Japanese dramas and the heartbreak found in Korean dramas. Each country seems to specialize in a certain type but they have something in common: the directors are more willing to experiment with new ideas that directers here would be afraid of because ratings might drop. Their individuality and heart can clearly be seen in the film.

Instead of looking up names, try looking at movie review sites that specifically look at Japanese movies. There are plenty of sites that list movies by year.
I'm back~~~

dawood

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2009, 11:15:19 AM »
I found another list of japanese movies which i could watch this will keep me occupied for a few weeks....
http://gaijinnosekai.wordpress.com/2009/03/11/the-best-of-japanese-cinema-2nd-edition/
one the movies in this list is waterboys which i've seen.. its a funny film.... lol

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2009, 11:18:13 AM »
i enjoy the older japanese movies. especially the movies of Akira Kurosawa. who might be most famous for writing and directing Seven Samurai, which as you may have guessed was the inspiration for the anime Samurai 7

and yes the picture is huge because the movie deserves to have an oversized picture. if you havent watched this film, do it now.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 11:20:41 AM by Coryn Sken »

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

dawood

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2009, 11:25:59 AM »
i enjoy the older japanese movies. especially the movies of Akira Kurosawa. who might be most famous for writing and directing Seven Samurai, which as you may have guessed was the inspiration for the anime Samurai 7

Indeed seven samurai is certainly in lot of peoples top movies... certainly in mine... lol... the concept of this movie was ahead of its time which was shown in the anime very cleverly.... and for a samurai movie of its time it was certainly original....  which refers me to what sai said earlier its the originality of the director and their lack of fear of it not being a success which galvanises them to created such successful and longlasting movies

and for those fans of spaghetti western movies.....   magnificent seven was the western version seven samurai

Offline Coryn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2009, 11:31:27 AM »
yeah

dawood

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2010, 06:19:06 PM »
What type of Japanese films would you guys be interested in?? do u have a specific genre you like.... or are japanese generally more creative??

personally i like japanese comedy and action films.... 

Offline binary otacon

• colorles
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2010, 03:47:20 PM »
yeah i'm a fan of Japanese cinema, particular errie/horror movies, or anything really
\lo l dis bishhje int no jenk///..,[

dawood

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2011, 09:00:09 PM »
hey guys.....   any reccomendations of stuff to watch???? cos i'm gonna add to my list of japanese/asiain movies to watch after i finish uni..

no point mentioning any of Takeshi Miike's films they are already on my list... i am yet to see  ichi the killer, audition and zebraman, great yokai wars and 13 assassins

Takeshi Kitanos new yakuza flick is also on my list

aswell as Minoru Kawasaki's film calamari wrestler

you guys got any other ideas of films i can watch please.. or any films you've enjoyed in the past i would like to know...  and why did you enjoy them?

Offline SaiHawkeye

• Producer-san
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2011, 09:02:04 PM »
Water Boys the movie. xD
I'm back~~~

Offline Coryn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2011, 09:03:46 PM »
if it has Toshiro Mifune in it, watch it.

dawood

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2011, 09:04:43 PM »
Water Boys the movie. xD

seen it! lol.. awesome movie very funny

if you've seen that i'd recommend watching "swing girls" by the same director.. also a very funny film

dawood

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2011, 09:06:08 PM »
if it has Toshiro Mifune in it, watch it.

the mans a genius actor.. lol