April 18, 2024, 11:05:25 PM

------------------------------------------

PLZ READ THIS ALL ACTIVE MEMBERS

CLICK Here.

Author Topic: [Project Cairlann] Writer's Short Story Contest - $100 Art Prize (Concluded)  (Read 11902 times)

Offline Operative13

• Self-Proclaimed Writer and Anime Enthusiast
  • Writer of Caesarea
    • View Profile
Welcome to Project Cairlann's Short Story Contest!

THE CONTEST IS OFFICIALLY OVER. THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR YOUR PARTICIPATION!

If you're interested in more contests and prize pools, sign up to our email list here. We are currently offering a free sketch of your character for a random draw each month!

Winner - Suuper-san

From January 30th to March 1st, post a 5,000 to 10,000 word short story here or PM me here or @Ope1ativ3 on Twitter to enter for a chance to receive $100 worth of character artwork from the artist of your choosing! The $100 art prize will cover either 1 full body, 2 busts, or 4 headshots. You may pick however combination best suits your needs should you win. When you submit your work, please select one artist from the list provided below, as well as a list of references for your character design*! The more specific, the better!

*No excessive nudity or gore. General rule is to keep it PG-13.

Please note that the character artwork will be property of Project Cairlann as we'd own the rights from providing the original commission. However, you will be permitted to use and distribute this artwork as you see fit, and you will still retain rights to your story upon submission.

Artist #1
Artist #2
Artist #3
Artist #4
Artist #5
Artist #6

Final submissions are due March 1st, 2022 at 11:59pm Pacific Time. I will select the best story out of the submissions within 1 week of the contest's closing and announce the winner here! Best of luck to everyone out there!  8)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2022, 05:27:38 PM by Operative13 »
“To give of oneself is the noblest of all acts.”

Twitter: https://twitter.com/Ope1ativ3
Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/OPHolden

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
  • Anyone need a wall of text?
    • View Profile
Re: [Project Cairlann] Writer's Short Story Contest - $100 Art Prize
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2022, 11:12:25 AM »
nice one!!
Being an artist myself I don't particularly have need of art, but I might enter for the spirit of competition rather than to win. In the catastrophic unlikelihood I actually win then I concede my prize to the 2nd place.
I do have a couple of sacrificial stories to burn for practice.

What are we being judged on? (what are your favourite genres so I can skew the odds in my favour??!!)
Does the format have to be a novel format? I typically write in manga script format.
Actually can I do a comic?
Art: Illustrations / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other Art | Manga Stories & Projects
Other Stuff: Tutorials / Craft / Cosplay | Feedback & Critique Welcome!

Offline Operative13

• Writer of Caesarea
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2022, 12:36:01 PM »
There are several criterion that will be used to judge the best story, but in general think about what makes a good story and write based off that. I want to ensure that whatever you come up with is truly the kind of story you would want to make, and so I won't be revealing any strict criteria that might bias the way the story is written.

As for comics, I suppose that could be permissible if you are the artsy type that prefers storytelling through that medium. Just ensure you can complete it by March 1st. I might decide to hold a contest specifically for your group in the future if this takes off.  :-\

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2022, 02:20:33 PM »
it depends how much free time I can set aside as to whether I can actually make a comic or not, but it's definitely doable within a month. as always, we'll see what happens :P

we haven't had a contest with a prize for absolutely ages XD
Art: Illustrations / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other Art | Manga Stories & Projects

Offline Operative13

• Writer of Caesarea
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2022, 02:37:36 PM »
All the more reason to jump in! If I get a good amount of submissions, I'll consider it worth the effort to do this more in the future  8) So spread the word and let everyone know this contest is up! The more, the merrier! And of course, the more prizes I'll give out!  :thumbsup:

Offline Operative13

• Writer of Caesarea
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2022, 04:26:40 PM »
Last minute update, a new artist had opted to join, so I'll be including their artwork as part of the draw (some of you might recognize the style  8) )

Offline Richard Scepton

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2022, 02:54:12 AM »
Duh. I already have a 20k+ word story posted. It's called Final Frontier, and is a Halo x KanColle crossover.

I'll send the link over Twitter.
Richard Scepton, Dev, Sins of the Abyssals team, aiming to bring to life KanColle/Azur Lane/Halo/BSG together all in one mod for Stellaris

Link FFFN: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/13678946/

Offline MistyRPhillips

• Aspiring Author
  • Writer of Fantasy and Adventure
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2022, 09:49:17 AM »
I am interested! I am wondering how you would like the submissions formatted. Just post the whole story as a reply, or link to a google docs, or add attachments?
Misty R Phillips
@mistyauthor on Facebook

Offline Operative13

• Writer of Caesarea
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2022, 10:39:11 AM »
Welcome MistyRPhillips!

The answer is whichever way you most prefer to send the story! Some people prefer to keep their story only between themselves, and so they PM me a link. Other people don't mind sharing their stories with others, and so they might post here for others to see. It's all up to you on how best you want to submit your story! :D

Offline MistyRPhillips

• Aspiring Author
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2022, 12:30:37 PM »
Great! I have a story made, just gonna clean it up a bit then post it. Thanks!
Misty R Phillips
@mistyauthor on Facebook

Offline Operative13

• Writer of Caesarea
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2022, 12:55:51 PM »
Day 3 is here! We're 1/10 of the way there! If you're hoping to make the bare minimum for the story, you should be at 500 word count at this point. Looking forward to all of your submissions come March!  8) And of course there's nothing stopping you from submitting something early. I do allow resubmissions as long as it meets the 5000 word minimum criteria before the deadline.

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2022, 12:09:37 AM »
Yikes, nothing like some early pressure eh?
I'm probably gonna dish out an entire story in the last couple of days lol
My skill is too low to rely on actual planning and pacing I think XD

Offline Operative13

• Writer of Caesarea
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2022, 06:29:40 AM »
Well, of course Suuper! A slacker will never get things done if they put it off to the last minute!

I assure you, 500 words is easy to grind out in just 3 days. There's actually a Reddit post detailing how professional copywriters have to plan out 1000 words in a single day and have it ready for publishing (https://www.reddit.com/r/writing/comments/si2rt3/my_new_job_wants_me_to_write_1000_words_a_day/). That's 1-2 hours of research, 4 hours of writing, and another 2 hours of editing. If there are people out there doing that kind of writing as a job, then 1 hour of you putting out just a little over a 100 words should be nothing! Especially if what you're writing is completely made up  :D

I've decided on short stories as part of this writing contest since I know it's something completely doable for most people in a month, as opposed to writing an entire novel. It only seems daunting because you only see the "5,000" number. Trust me, when you start typing things on paper, you'll see just how fast 100 words can go by. If you really want to put into perspective just how little the writing per day actually is, I've torn out a piece of my writing from Project Cairlann over here, and included an excerpt from a short story titled "The Lottery".

Battle of Garagil Pass (173 words)
Lord Cuthred had a devilish smile upon hearing the news, and while any sort of joyful reaction from him would’ve been welcomed by now, Captain Halan and Chaplain Master Gebhart could sense the unease around the table.

“So the man wants to fight,” Lord Cuthred chuckled rather insidiously as he turned to the knights gathered before him. “That goat-sucking idiot thinks he can take us all on in an open field! I’m going to enjoy riding into Graehinstel with his head mounted on my banner.”

“We’ll send the heathen and his vile scum to Hell, my Lord!” a knight proclaimed. The others likewise concurred, though only through halfhearted cheers and nods.

Halan exchanged glances towards his master Gebhart. It seemed the others would not confront Lord Cuthred about the glaring issue of his overconfidence: they too were cutting eyes back at Gebhart to answer for them.

Gebhart cleared his throat. “My Lord, if Olvek is presenting himself to fight us here, then it is clear he intends to strike us with an advantage.”

The Lottery (171 words)
The morning of June 27th was clear and sunny, with the fresh warmth of a full-summer day; the flowers were blossoming profusely and the grass was richly green. The people of the village began to gather in the square, between the post office and the bank, around ten o’clock; in some towns there were so many people that the lottery took two days and had to be started on June 26th, but in this village, where there were only about three hundred people, the whole lottery took only about two hours, so it could begin at ten o’clock in the morning and still be through in time to allow the villagers to get home for noon dinner.

The children assembled first, of course. School was recently over for the summer, and the feeling of liberty sat uneasily on most of them; they tended to gather together quietly for a while before they broke into boisterous play, and their talk was still of the classroom and the teacher, of books and reprimands.

Quite frankly, hitting that 5k word mark only becomes a problem if you allow the deadline to approach without any real work done. Trying to mash out 5k words in a single day is much harder than 5k words for 30 days, so don't procrastinate!  8) You most certainly have the power to finish this story!

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2022, 02:24:54 PM »
aye I got a fair bit of writing done in my manga scripts I did a while back, I documented my time quite meticulously and got some nice stats from it. One such being that I type 12 wpm for final script (i.e. words/total time writing & editing). In total I wrote 52k words over about 12 weeks, so I'm not too bothered by actual output, it's more just doing it that's the issue. as I'm in an art phase at the moment :P

One trouble is I'm only used to manga format, so it's scrappy quality. Writing an actual story/novel is more poetic and neatly written, you have to be quite careful with word choice for descriptions and so on. That's not really bothering me but I'm not confident in it tho.

I've been coming up with plot ideas the last couple of days, I'm generating a bunch of ideas from random prompts and then I'll see which ones have the potential to actually become a story. Also difficult is keeping the entire story short, I'm used to thinking of long running manga plots so it's hard to constrain an idea down to stay a short story. Half of my ideas are failing because their scope is just too large to shrink down. I think if I had more experience all these steps would be a lot easier like it is with art for me.

That's amazing how short 150 words really is looking at it like that, I hadn't really realized.

Also very interesting about the daily breakdown of time into the different aspects of writing. Research in particular interests me as I know very little about all the things I want to write about but also don't know how to research effectively without it just becoming a random Wikipedia binge. I've got a sort of idea on that but haven't tested it out yet.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2022, 02:32:43 PM by Suuper-san »

Offline MistyRPhillips

• Aspiring Author
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2022, 03:18:34 PM »
Question about the art prize. What exactly does $100 cover? Is it one person full body, or can it be a couple busts, or multiple people's headshots? I have a couple things in mind, but not sure what would be included.
Misty R Phillips
@mistyauthor on Facebook