March 29, 2024, 09:13:15 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Chit Chat 2022  (Read 16385 times)

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
Re: Chit Chat 2022
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2022, 02:06:43 PM »
Hey, walking it more than nothing! You definitely need a lot of distance for it to add up, but thrown on a podcast, go for an hour (or 4 if you've really got the time), and enjoy nature.

I can't recommend finding a local nature trail that you can hit up. Great way to connect with the environment in a tangible way, and also learn something about the local ecology. Walk out there with a tree identification guide, if you really want to get mad at how many invasive species there are  >:(

As for shoes, I recommend thr Xero brand. They're a brand of "barefoot" shoe that have very little sole. It's definitely something you have to adjust to (striking on your forefoot and not on the heel), which is a lot more natural, but does a number in your calfs if you don’t gradually warm up to it.

I know that sounds counterintuitive to all shoes ever, but your calf is your natural shock absorber. Obviously the species came up on the plains of africa without Nikes or arch support. Barefoot shoes are just training all those foot and leg muscles that don’t get used when you're essentially walking on a cloud.

(This is not medical advice. I am not a doctor. This is a personal testimonial. Don't buy something just because someone on the internet said you should.)

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
  • Anyone need a wall of text?
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2022, 02:47:22 PM »
I walk 5+ km a couple of a times a week anyway just in my commute to work, so I get a fair bit of walking exercise.

Yeah I've been wondering about what shoes to get next, I know nothing at all about types and stuff, so I was going to go for something sturdy and comfortable that's labelled a running shoe XD
I've always gone for the cheapest shoes possible in the apst, but that doesn't work out well for running comfort and health.

Interesting about the calves, I've not really thought about that before.

To be honest my diet is a higher risk than my exercise at the moment, I'm comfort eating more than I used to and I'm slowing putting on weight, very slowly but putting it on all the same.

Just got a mucked up mindset at the moment, but hoping it clears when I have summer holidays in a couple weeks time. A lot of time where I dont have to think about work and I can recalibrate myself
Art: Illustrations / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other Art | Manga Stories & Projects
Other Stuff: Tutorials / Craft / Cosplay | Feedback & Critique Welcome!

Offline Coryn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2022, 12:21:52 PM »
Yeah, I've learned over the years that paying for good clothes up front will pay off in the long run. With shoes you really get what you pay for up to an extent. I doubt that paying 100+ dollars for shoes only buys you fashion clout, not a more structurally sound piece of footwear.

Ah, diet is important. I need to be better myself. Could do with fewer alcoholic drinks on weeknights and fewer trips to the office candy bowl. Don't even get me started on macros ToT

My fiance willing, I'm going to try and start meal planning each week around the concept of being able to make, say, 5 different dishes from the same 10 ingredients. That way we can plan ahead for healthier dinners and lunches without much effort. But she's a different eater than I am. I'll happily eat the same meal for lunch and dinner every day for a week from a big batch I make on Sunday. But it's a fight to get her to eat the same two meals in the same week. I can't count the number of times I meal prepped lunches for a whole week that went uneaten because she decided to get fast food instead on a whim.

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2022, 12:59:08 PM »
yeah I'm quite happy to eat a small range of meals quite frequently. I must admit I ought to make larger batches and save some when I cook for myself but I tend to cook just the one portion every day when I want it. I enjoy cooking and I don't spend a lot of time doing it, so it's like an enjoyable hobby rather than a task.

my family has had a weekly planner for meals for about 2 years now, it's pretty good, and we can look back to see when we last had a chinese or special meal or something to see if we're "allowed" another one XD

when I cook I'm pretty healthy it's just snacking that does me in, and McDonald's...I live about 30 seconds from a McDonald's lol can you imagine the temptation....
Art: Illustrations / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other Art | Manga Stories & Projects

Offline Coryn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2022, 05:54:08 PM »
Well, after multiple set backs this year due to sickness and other physical set-backs, I have made another milestone towards my running goal! As of last week I have hit the two mile mark on my way to a 5k (3.1 miles).

I know it's not a lot compared to any marathoners who may come across this thread, and it's definitely under prime conditions (easy pace, indoors, flat grade), but damnit when I started running only 1/4 of a mile would leave me without breath so I'm pretty happy with where I'm at.

As usual, the mental game is the hardest. I can do okay with not looking down at the little timer in the treadmill for about 10 minutes, but after that it's a slog. Although admittedly less of a slog than it used to be. At this point I feel confident in my physical ability to push the whole way through, but the main thing holding me back is fear of overworking my kness or giving myself shin splints.

Nevertheless, I will push on. Following the ol' 10% progressive overloading advice, the jump between mile 2 and mile 3 should be much shorter than getting from mile 1 to mile 2 (and gods willing, I don't get COVID in the middle of it again).

Offline Coryn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2022, 10:46:30 AM »
Welcome back online everyone! The site outage was caused by power failure at the data center from where we're hosted.

Offline Operative13

• Self-Proclaimed Writer and Anime Enthusiast
  • Writer of Caesarea
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2022, 06:07:23 PM »
Ah I was wondering about that! What would I ever do if MR were to permanently shut down?  :ninja:
“To give of oneself is the noblest of all acts.”

Twitter: https://twitter.com/Ope1ativ3
Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/OPHolden

Offline Coryn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2022, 12:05:05 PM »
Oh, probably build MR 2: Raiders' Big Day.

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2022, 04:40:36 PM »
Glad it's back again *phew*
Yikes, scary how something like that can happen.
I would indeed be saddened if MR ever came to an end, although the Discord at least keeps most of the active members linked together just in case.
Definitely a v2 rebuild would be in order if the worst of the worst were to ever occur.

oh @Coryn nice milestone, keep it up! it ony gets better from here.

I wish I could be on here more often but lately I've been super busy with redecorating as well as getting my life in gear. So my art has taken a back seat for now, the first time in about 3 years in which I haven't drawn for over a week.

Not to mention I'm finally making a cosplay :D
« Last Edit: July 18, 2022, 05:00:42 PM by Suuper-san »

Offline Coryn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2022, 10:28:09 AM »
Yeah! Excited to see that take form!

Real life pressures are the real killer. Oh how I sometimes wish for those halcion days when I was broke, dumb, full of energy, had a lot of time, my back didn’t hurt, I had zero personal responsibility, I had a bunch of roommates to bull*censored* with 24/7.

Then I remember the crushing stress from having zero money and trying to get through college, and I thank my lucky stars I can now afford to feed myself and not worry about ending up on the street or that my car will work when I start it....  :sure:

Sometimes it's better to just have the memories, lol. Although a few extra hours in the day would be welcome.

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 21, 2022, 09:52:46 AM »
couldnt agree more, with all of that :D

Offline Operative13

• Self-Proclaimed Writer and Anime Enthusiast
  • Writer of Caesarea
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 19, 2022, 01:38:03 PM »
Huzzah! The site is back again  :dance:
“To give of oneself is the noblest of all acts.”

Twitter: https://twitter.com/Ope1ativ3
Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/OPHolden

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 19, 2022, 04:24:42 PM »
IT LIVES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Coryn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 20, 2022, 02:00:41 PM »
We live! We die! We live again!

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2022, 03:41:39 PM »
not one to brag or anything, but I've just dug up my never used Raspberry-pi and finally plugged it into all the cables and stuff it needed, and I'm making this very comment on my brand new Raspberry-pi PC 8)
I have big plans for my next year's cosplay (which is probably maybe happening) which may require lights and/or sounds, and I figure this berry boi is up to the task :P

And as a huge side point, it uses my third screen which I could never quite get working with my current PC, so technically I have a triple monitor setup now ahahaha.
not sure if I'll be using it as a PC for much longer or switch it to function more like an arduino, which basically turns LEDs on and off. But the advantage is that I can probably play audio or run higher power stuff a bit easier since it has USB ports I can plug into. A lot of possibilities opening up, finally. Always wanted to get this thing running.

Could even be the start of an IOT (For those who dont know, an IOT (Internet Of Things) is typically an interactive house with connected devices, like turning your lights or heating on from your phone, but that's just the beginning :D)

honestly, it's super XD