March 29, 2024, 12:44:09 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Which Manga Art Styles Inspire You?  (Read 4674 times)

Offline CJMoon

• View Profile
Which Manga Art Styles Inspire You?
« on: April 09, 2021, 11:51:49 AM »
Which mangas are your biggest inspirations for art (even if your style doesn't resemble theirs?)

I really love Chainsaw Man personally for just how beautiful and iconic the art style is. The more realistic touches compliment the series amazingly. I also admire My Hero Academia thanks to how expressive it is and how well motion is portrayed; Attack on Titan is another. While characters look... kinda messed up... in some panels, the sketchy and loose lines are really pleasing to the eye for some reason. Demon Slayer has a very nice art style too, though a little more cartoony than I'd want (same with My Hero Academia.)

Offline MK

• I like to draw
    • View Profile
Re: Which Manga Art Styles Inspire You?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2021, 12:16:22 PM »
I don't really read much manga but WLOP is one of my favorite webcomic artists.

Offline Manimal

• God Of Thunder & Rock 'n Roll
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2021, 03:22:20 PM »
I don't really draw in the style but I always liked how My Little Monster looks. If I did draw in a more manga style that would be my inspiration. I like that the characters have that anime appeal with more realistic hair.

Offline CJMoon

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2021, 10:04:33 AM »
I don't really read much manga but WLOP is one of my favorite webcomic artists.

WLOP is one of my favorite artists- His art style and the way he draws is so nice. It's incredible the amount of detail in his webcomic.

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
  • Anyone need a wall of text?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2021, 02:14:04 PM »
"Inspiration" is quite the buzzword when it comes to me...it depends partly on how I interpret the word as to how I would answer it.

In terms of the fluffy feeling of "wanting to draw my own manga", almost anything I read that is half decent makes me think "what am I doing reading all this manga when I could be drawing my own....", and so it inspires me to get going with my own work.

As for particular art styles inspiring me...I would take that to mean styles that I really like, or really would like to draw as good as in my own work.
That breaks down into a couple of sections:
-Face/Body proportions
-Composition
-Backgrounds
and these can break down again and again into subsets like hair/eyes/hands etc.

Ao no Exorcist is a good example because I really like the backgrounds in it, but I don't like the face or body style.
Spoiler

D-Frag! I like the composition, as it is a comedy manga, but the face style doesn't interest me
Spoiler

Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear, I like the face style but not the composition or backgrounds too much
Spoiler

Really there is a lot to learn from pretty much any manga artist that is better than you even if, as you say, their art style is very different from your own. The better you get an analysing people's work the more you can learn from them.
Art: Illustrations / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other Art | Manga Stories & Projects
Other Stuff: Tutorials / Craft / Cosplay | Feedback & Critique Welcome!

Offline MK

• I like to draw
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2021, 06:00:57 PM »
Super, you should check out the tokyo ghoul manga, the backgrounds are insane
Spoiler

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
  • Anyone need a wall of text?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2021, 04:29:16 AM »
@MK wow!
I had seen the anime but I've never read the manga! partly because I didn't particularly like the story, but it looks like artistically it's got a lot to offer!
Art: Illustrations / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other Art | Manga Stories & Projects
Other Stuff: Tutorials / Craft / Cosplay | Feedback & Critique Welcome!

Offline legomaestro

• High Chancellor of Righteousness
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2021, 05:21:55 PM »
Tokyo Ghouls' artist drew the perfect experience of enjoying good coffee. I love even his more minimalistic style for Tokyo Ghoul:Jack because heck yes.

But off the cuff I'm always torn between Bleachs' minimalistic beautiful epic splash pages and awesome fashion and Narutos' precise backgrounds and nit-picky action.

Too many scenes to give examples off but here are two things

Chapter 403 Bleach (Deicide is a great series to read in general for epic moments. Or watch. Both were good)

And Naruto Chapter 13

I realize its more of an action scene that I posted for Naruto but Kishimoto-sensei really nails down on detail and stuff... And later down the line to the detriment of the epic character designs. But only a little. To be honest I find them to be twins on the same coin.

But I am finding new artists all the time and I beg all of you to try when it's right to look for complete Seinen manga. There are sooooooo many stories that have blown it out of the park in terms of art and narrative it's awesome haha

Offline RacherrieArt

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2021, 05:45:23 PM »
My biggest inspirations are Kohei Horikoshi sensei (Especially his work on My Hero Academia and Barrage) and Hiromu Arakawa (Fullmetal Alchemist). I really like their writing skills but as an artist myself, I really like how the two of them draw people. I'm still studying other styles for what to incorporate into my other things (props, backgrounds, etc.), and am getting pretty good at replicating other styles. One I really like replicating is the style that a YouTuber by the name of SakuraOpal used in an animatic she made based on AidaIro's series Toilet Bound Hanako-kun. I like the almost painterly style she used.