December 03, 2022, 12:54:35 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Dune... confused me...  (Read 2501 times)

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
Re: Dune... confused me...
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2021, 08:54:46 PM »
Having had a few weeks to ruminate on it myself, I'm glad to say I also had a good impression of it. I understand cutting out a lot of the world building in order to tell the story just surrounded Paul. As much as I love all that nonsense, it definitely feels like it would have completely steamrolled people.

I won't say I thought the music was too loud, but that could have just been a personal preference. I won't give Zendaya any crap about the Chani performance though. She was only on screen for like five minutes, and I didn't think she was bad at all for what she did. I think the real test will be part two when she will actually get to be a character. But for now she sufficiently performed the roll as "weird desert chick".

My biggest thing was with Jason Mamoa. Now, I will say that a lot of it had to do with them smashing Gurney and Duncan's characters together, but he was clearly playing a nice gym-bro type, whereas in the books Idaho is a lot of an aloof soldier who doesn't take on much importance until the second book.

I will give him credit for wanting to turn it into a trilogy though. I think Dune Messiah would be a great basis for a movie, especially if they get the face dancers the metal eyes right. My biggest concern would be somehow getting Timothy Chamalandingdong aged up appropriately, lol. He did a good job a being the fish-out-of-water in the first half of the movie, but he definitely reads closer to 15 than to however old Paul is supposed to be in book 2.

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF