March 29, 2024, 01:57:58 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: hi new to manga! looking for cool people for help  (Read 2002 times)

Offline Casi

• View Profile
hi new to manga! looking for cool people for help
« on: November 15, 2020, 08:00:08 PM »
Hi im new to manga I'm looking to learned how to write my own story from begging to end . Tips would be appreciated.

Offline NO1SY

• Resident Slacker
  • Will eat your cookies
    • View Profile
Re: hi new to manga! looking for cool people for help
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2020, 06:09:44 PM »
Welcome to MangaRaiders Casi :)

Best way to learn is to get stuck in and start writing stuff, and then people can provide you feedback that you can hopefully learn from.

I look forward to getting to read some of your writing and helping you on your journey to creating a full story!

Offline cosmbin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2020, 02:02:02 AM »
 hello! since you are new to story writing I think best way to practice is by reading stories and coming up with different outcomes. I myself started writing when I grew tired of same plot getting used everywhere. So read some stories, pen down some new/impressive scenes, scenes which you would have liked to see in the stories, endings which could have been much better than the story's, and then write a short story with all those points you have gathered. I hope it will be of  some help ^^     
@cosmbin wp

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2020, 06:51:05 PM »
Welcome to MangaRaiders Casi!

Like NO1SY said, the best way to learn is by doing! Most of us here learned to write by ourselves, so it's a tried and true method!

For just getting started though, if your goal is to write a story from beginning to end, you should start by doing just that! Start with a story that's only a page long, but make sure it has a full plot. If you can write a one page story, there's no reason you can't write one that's 500 pages long!

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline Hati

• The werewolf
  • genderqueer: he or she
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2020, 01:19:24 AM »
Welcome there Casi!
New to manga huh? So am I!
I suggest you get a flashdrive and fill it with pictures that inspire you or that you find cool. Download pictures from the internet and sort them into files. That way, you can always be inspired. Collect old posters, album covers, fashion, cityscapes, etc. Also dedicate a bookshelf to reference books. If you had already done that, you're off to a good start.

I also suggest that you watch this video:
https://youtu.be/aXgFcNUWqX0
Do it. Seriously. It will change your life. The video is about how to use color to tell stories and the role in plays in movies, that is if you want your manga to have a cinimatic effect. Of course, most manga is in black and white but color adds so much more to the story in my opinion. Please give it a look.

As for writing manga, just write. Don't care about what's popular or hurting someone's feelings. Set a time to write and write everyday even if you think it's crap. Don't rewrite anything. Try something new until you find something that works.

Daydream constantly. I daydream a lot. Daydreaming lets you be your characters and talk to them. Do it regularly because this will help you create your world. Live in it, and if it seems real to you, then you can write about it.
You can do anything ;)
Pink moon's gonna get you all.

Offline Vacant

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2020, 03:24:00 PM »
Welcome to MR! I'd echo the sentiments of everyone else and put pen to paper.

I'm guessing you have an idea already, but probably arent sure where to begin. I would suggest opening up a blank document and writing the following;

-A couple of sentences summarising your idea.
-What characters you'd like to incorporate and any ideas for Protagonists and Antagonists you already have.
-What kind of setting you'd like the story to take place in. Is it a fantasy world? 18th Century Europe? etc.
-What style of writing you'd like to try and the genre/s you're looking to write for.
-Think about why you want to tell that story? Does it have some important themes or powerful messages running throughout it you want to be present? Or is it a really fun and cool plot you'd like to explore?

This will give you maybe a page or two to hopefully spawn more ideas. Then add to it. Think about where you want the plot to go. Just bullet point down some major set pieces or beats that come to mind you'd want to include. If you're struggling for these, then think about stories in a similar genre or style and which events you really liked. If you loved them, try to figure out why they were important to you. Is there something within them you can incorperate into a narrative yourelf? This will also kick your brain into motion and get you writing. Before you know it, you'll be feeling ready to make a start on writing it.

Lastly, for more technical aspects or specific questions, head to the  Writers Discussion Board. Either search for a topic thats suitable or make a new thread in regards to your question and we'd be happy to help  :thumbsup:

Offline araithiel

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2020, 09:12:55 PM »
Heyo!

I would also echo all the above basically and generally recommend writing very short stories, makes you really confident about ending books and feeling good.
@nick on Wattpad