March 29, 2024, 01:15:29 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Writing Log  (Read 46307 times)

Offline Echo_River

• Mild Observer
  • Need Chips
    • View Profile
Re: Writing Log
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2020, 10:13:08 PM »
November 21: Finally finally finished the next chapter for Charred Life after, hm, a month and a half? So happy it's doneeee QAQ Struggled with getting it out because I was worried about dialogue, pacing, chapter length and so on... which was solved by deciding to put everything I wanted to in the chapter and be over with it. Most likely will have to fix pacing and whatnot anyway later on. Included some interesting research of if old japanese houses had chimneys or not....

I just want to whip up the chapter that comes after this - a long awaited part for me. Hoping not to get burnout/block/frustration at the style of inconsistency :thumbsup:
No one is perfect . . . that's why there's erasers and extra paper.
DA: http://neysun.deviantart.com
IG: https://www.instagram.com/neysun_hao/
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/noteriddler

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2020, 05:27:45 PM »
Good luck Echo! Getting to those long awaited chapters can be stressful. I'm sure you'll do what's in your head justice!

November 22nd (and like, the last two weeks): I put together both a short story for the War Arc (which is the part that lasted the last few weeks), and I basted out a 1500 word short story this afternoon for the Christmas story topic that Vacant just posted! It's complete nonsense, but that's kinda the idea, so I'm happy with it. I definitely need to give it an edit or two before posting, but look forward to that! Not that it's Christmas time yet anyway. December or bust!

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
  • Anyone need a wall of text?
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2020, 03:25:33 PM »
I'm hoping to start writing one-shot scripts soon, although I am working on a large manga collaboration project I'd still like to do my own stories on the side, so I'm sort of posting just to guilt trip myself into starting :P
Art: Illustrations / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other Art | Manga Stories & Projects
Other Stuff: Tutorials / Craft / Cosplay | Feedback & Critique Welcome!

Offline Coryn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2021, 12:14:06 PM »
Feel the guilt Suuper!

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2021, 03:34:27 PM »
Ugh too soon Coryn!!!!!
Art: Illustrations / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other Art | Manga Stories & Projects

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2021, 07:33:08 AM »
I don't know if it will keep up, but I managed 30 minutes of writing.
In my own WIP obsessed way I'm working on writing short random chapter synopses, to first get used to writing a correct flow of events, and then I'll start taking those ideas and filling them out more. An exact as possible workflow to my art WIP method :P

Offline Coryn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2021, 11:15:38 AM »
Don't get too trapped in it Suuper. It's always best to actually get some writing on paper to see where the holes are. Things always turn out different from my the synopsis.

Meanwhile, after not getting much at all done during my vacation writing wise, I'm back on the horse and getting some forward progress on War Arc.

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2021, 11:24:35 AM »
@Coryn ahh definitely no worries there, I hope. what I mean is just to loosen myself up and get used to expressing myself loosely first (even that is difficult!) and then get tighter and tighter with adding the detail. I'm not aiming at perfect plots or anything like that in the slightest, more like learning to just not be embarrassed about seeing my ideas written down I think ahaha :P In terms of sketches, it would be a super rough scribble.
Sort of just playing with plot points like children's building blocks at the moment, learning how to stack them and not have them fall over. I have a relatively solid plan of how I'll develop my writing ability so it's not me being tentative about writing, it's more a (very slow) controlled decent into the deep end :P And of course my own blend of learning methods unique to me :D

and sometimes you have to get away from it all on a vacation and just do nothing at all :P
I've been both very productive and not productive at all art-wise on holidays so there's benefits to both.

Offline Echo_River

• Mild Observer
  • Need Chips
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2021, 09:35:20 PM »
January 26: 1-2 hours. Began writing the next part of Overseer Hall (another story project). Worked on descriptions of the setting. Reference material includes The Dark is Rising (Susan Cooper) and Neverwhere (Neil Gaiman).

January 27: 1-3 hours. Wrote little scene snippets for the next chapter of Charred Life. Thoughts - "What's a good balance between pacing and painting a clear enough picture?". Inspiration material - Baccano! Vol. 10 1934 Peter Pan in Chains: Finalte (Ryohgo Narita)

Current music playlist: Genshin Impact OST
No one is perfect . . . that's why there's erasers and extra paper.
DA: http://neysun.deviantart.com
IG: https://www.instagram.com/neysun_hao/
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/noteriddler

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2021, 01:37:25 PM »
@echo you can never have too many projects ;)

I'm doing quite a bit of script processing for the manga I'm working on. Quite a lot of the suggestions I make get taken on board by my writer which only serves to make me more nervous :P

Probably 2-4 hours spent reviewing the first chapter and noting adjustments and suggestions.

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2021, 01:27:40 AM »
did an hour writing this morning, not a bad warmup to drawing actaully when I'm still drowsy.
did random plots/scenes/arcs.
I've written 100/1000 so far, most today tbh so it's quite a short project.
Afterwards I'll try and squish and stretch each idea (or multiple) into a one-shot and then write them up to turn into a manga.
I've noticed so far it's a lot easier to write fantasy/action ideas than slice-of-life/romance. That's partly why this practice is helpful because I'm starting to notice areas I can improve in already.

also I just created a new method for drafting manga that is around double the efficiency of my previous method. it's suited for longer projects and works with developing a script too. actually once implemented it should be ridiculously awesome, stay tuned.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2021, 01:36:04 AM by Suuper-san »

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2021, 02:58:14 PM »
1 hour writing random plot points.

also kinda a 180 but I'm writing a one-shot now
sort of the inspiration hit me and I'm just riding it to see where it goes.
4 hours writing the synopsis and script so far. About halfway through the script. It's probably going to be about 50 pages of manga long....meh could be worse. I'm using a quicker art style as well so that should save some time.

I think possibly the writing random plot points helped to loosen me up, perhaps.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2021, 03:17:22 PM by Suuper-san »

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2021, 04:05:47 PM »
Another 6 hours and I finished my first draft.
Writing is seriously not to be underestimated :P
Not that word count means anything but 6500 words.

Offline NO1SY

• Resident Slacker
  • Will eat your cookies
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2021, 06:49:47 PM »
Getting back into the swing of things with writing finally...

Dec 2020 - Jan 2021: Wrote a 2000 word piece for MR Canon to kick off the year with (forgot to log that...)

28 February 2021: Managed about 750ish words in around 2 hours worth of writing, reworking the next chapter in this Sentai side project for MR War Arc. I always find it slower to rework something - deciding which bits to keep and which bits to chop and change, and then fitting it all together coherently again - than creating something new from scratch, but that may just be me being overly particular and perfectionist... as per usual... Having attention seeking puppies clambering over me and trying to force me to pet them didn't help either...!

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 02, 2021, 09:29:34 AM »
Started working on my new writing projects to get them off the ground. Not sure what direction to go and how much effort to put into them since I have limited writing skill.
I'm thinking to go the short one-shot route to try out lots of different genres and draw them all out roughly to get the drawing practice as well. I'm hitting the writer/artist combo dilemma of what do I do next, drawing or writing?
I think I need to build up a lot of experience of "failure", quickly, rather than spending hours on something and it still comes out bad lol

In fact I'm having a miserable time trying to figure out what I need to do to get good at writing. I'm suspecting even my vocabulary isn't up to scratch, I might need to pick up reading again just to get some standard of writing in my head.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2021, 11:55:20 AM by Suuper-san »