March 29, 2024, 12:46:39 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Writing Log  (Read 46303 times)

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
Writing Log
« on: July 06, 2020, 10:31:30 AM »
Alright, so I'm putting this out there for everyone to participate. It's a simple idea to help try and encourage more engagement between members of our writing community, as well as a way to keep ourselves on track and thinking about or own progress. I'm totally stealing this from my own routine where I keep track of my weight and do calorie counting. It's easy to understand where you stand once you're actually keeping track.

Simply: When you write or do something related to writing, let us know what you did and for how long. Hopefully this will help everyone learn where they may have room for improvement, and see if others are doing things that they may be forgetting to. Hopefully it will also be a fun way to let others who read our stories know that we haven't abandoned our projects!

Sunday, 7/5/20, 3 hours: Reformatted Arcs 1 and 2 of Coryn's Saga for easier reference while writing Arc 3. Arc 1 reformatting completed. Arc 2 reformatting expected to be wrapped up next Sunday.

Happy logging y'all.

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline Vacant

• View Profile
Re: Writing Log
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2020, 05:55:03 PM »
This is a good idea!

Also the absolute density of Coryns Saga  never fails to astound me.

I'll join in though as I've actually done a bit of writing this weekend. (If we're supposed to start our own thread, as opposed to piggybacking off of this one just let me know).

July 4th & 5th: (Roughly 4 hours combined) Started tweaking a lot of the beginning of Heavy Rayne. Decided to do a drastic revision of the first arc and several character introductions. Then decided that some changes felt forced and for the sake of it, so found a nice middle ground. Then decided to run with the name "Absolver" instead of Heavy Rayne, since I'd been meaning to change it for almost an eternity. Then decided I'm not decided on the name Absolver, but will use it in the meantime see if it resonates with me. Finally, decided that I'd need to rewrite a fresh start since the tweaks necessitated a major overhaul of the existing work.

July 6th: (2 Hours) Started the first chapter over. It feels like its flowing a lot better now. I'm enjoying writing it at the moment, so much so I spent an hour longer writing than I intended.

Offline Coryn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2020, 09:42:18 AM »
No no! This is 100% a group thread! I want it to be a central place for people to show off their progress. That way it becomes more communal for everyone.

Offline NO1SY

• Resident Slacker
  • Will eat your cookies
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2020, 12:39:41 PM »
I probably need this... I'm aiming to do 2-3 hours of solid story-writing done per week at the moment and I feel like I should track it.

June 2020: I managed roughly 4700 words for "MR War Arc: NO1SY" over the course of the month. It's not an incredible feat of productivity, but I am uncharacteristically happy with the choice of words and story so far (much to the credit of Coryn). That brought the project to a prologue and 3 complete short chapters.

8 July 2020: Wrote 300 words for chapter 4 over the course of about an hour. I feel like I should have been able to write more in that time, but I entered the chapter having absolutely no clue what I was going to write, which led to a lot of stumbling around to find a decent direction and sentences to realise it. On top of that I got completely distracted with some worldbuilding for DnD...

9 July 2020: Roughly 900 more words for chapter 4 in about 2 hours or so of writing. Still in a "discovery writing" phase with this chapter (went into it with no plan and just took it line by line to see what I came up with out the other end). Probably going to overshoot my chapter length soft-cap, but I'm decently happy with what I've written so I don't mind a slightly longer chapter. Will definitely have this chapter finished by the end of the week.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2020, 07:10:50 PM by NO1SY »

Offline NO1SY

• Resident Slacker
  • Will eat your cookies
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2020, 02:36:28 PM »
11 July 2020: 650 words + editing over the course of about 2-3 hours. I think the chapter is in a good enough place to end. Final edits should be quick once I get feedback, and then ready to post!

Offline Coryn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2020, 08:49:47 PM »
July 12th 2020:
- Reviewed and gave commentary for Noisy's War Arc story.
- Came within five chapters of the end on Arc 2 reformatting, while taking notes for future changes. Expect to wrap up at start of next writing session.
- Began in earnest on the story bible for Coryn's Saga. Story bible to contain all difinitive facts about the universe and characters to keep all writing under the Coryn's Saga banner internally consistent. Started as just a way to keep character traits in stone, but is now expanded to be about the wider universe as well.

Offline NO1SY

• Resident Slacker
  • Will eat your cookies
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2020, 05:48:08 PM »
13 July 2020: 1 hour of writing today to finalise the edits for chapter 4. Amounted to just under 200 extra words... as if it needed more!

Busy work week this week so not likely to be able to keep up the pace, which is a shame, but I think it will be a more realistic writing schedule.

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
  • Anyone need a wall of text?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2020, 01:00:43 PM »
Writing done this month so far - 30 minutes, mixed prompts/manga chapter ideas.
I had a target for 15 minutes a day but that went out of the window :P
Art: Illustrations / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other Art | Manga Stories & Projects
Other Stuff: Tutorials / Craft / Cosplay | Feedback & Critique Welcome!

Offline Coryn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2020, 09:40:32 AM »
Week of July 13th-19th: Added a few paragraphs here and there to CS Arc 3. Performed some light editing to same chapter while I reread it and brought myself back up to speed on order to finish it after hiatus for War Arc.

Was unable to take normal Sunday writing session. Instead helped girlfriend create a character for upcoming Cyberpunk 2020 campaign I am running. So we'll count that as a minor creative activity.

I hope you keep working here and there through the week, and have a normal writing session again next week, although may have to move to Saturday, on account of minor social gathering with girlfriend's family (girlfriend is already in my quarantine circle, girlfriend has maintained contact with family out of necessity, ergo: I'm not creating risks that weren't already there.)

Offline Vacant

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2020, 08:45:12 AM »
July 19th: 40 minutes of writing done. Mostly restructuring some dialogue i really didnt jive with upon second reading.

July 20th: 1 Hour  of writing. Strayed off the actual writing path to update some plot points in the plot skeleton I have of an upcoming arc. This is my worst habit by far and how I procrastinate instead of writing chapters. I'll do some notes about the story lore or jot down ideas instead of writing.

July 21st: 1 hour of writing achieved. Finished the first scene of chapter one, now weighing 7 pages in. I'm happy with this  as its cut the original drafted first scene down by 5 pages and I feel better about it not being so bloated. 

Offline NO1SY

• Resident Slacker
  • Will eat your cookies
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2020, 05:47:42 PM »
21 July 2020: Just over 100 words in 30 mins of writing for chapter 5. I was dead tired so couldn't manage more, but I just wanted to get the chapter started when I had an idea of what to write, as I always find it easier to continue with a piece of work than start it.

Didn't manage any writing last week due to work and family commitments, but definitely going to be getting on with it this weekend.

Offline midsummer_feast

• Let's drink and enjoy our lifes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2020, 03:24:02 AM »
finds it difficult to tell how long since I jump between things very much... :ohmy:
But I try to spend at least one hour before sleep to write on a REALLY rough outlining to one novel(writing by hand)...
but I might join in a better way when the vacation ends and I get some routines in the days again. =^,^=

:ohmy:
I am a somebody, that ainĀ“t nobody. In different from everybody... anybody?..
my work:
https://midsummerfeastnovel.rocks/
It might be bad, but it's MY BAD... =^,^=

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
  • Anyone need a wall of text?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2020, 02:08:32 AM »
did another 30 minutes in the last 2 weeks. I need to work on writing some dialog/narration, to try and make some manga pages.
Art: Illustrations / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other Art | Manga Stories & Projects
Other Stuff: Tutorials / Craft / Cosplay | Feedback & Critique Welcome!

Offline Coryn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2020, 10:19:05 PM »
@midsummer: That's just what this topic is here for buddy! Keeping track of what you're doing will help you recognize where you could stand to improve (as long as you don't get so sucked into the data that you forget the actually write, lol)

@suuper: Good luck! You've definitely got solid artwork, but dialogue and storytelling is a beast to learn in its own right, and much harder to critique.

August 2nd, ~2 hrs: Good in a couple solid pages of writing. Not moving super fast, but I'm happy with what I came up. It's nice to make some legitimate forward progress on Arc 3, even if much of my last month of work was in service to the story.

Bit of a tangent, but I realized just before making this post (hours after I stopped writing, which is of course typical of me), that a much better synopsis of Coryn's Saga than any I've come up with in the past 13 (*censored*!) years is: "An immortal and his immortal friends adopt a bunch of magical girls." Because at the end of the day that's really what this whole thing is about, and somehow I've been blind to it for almost half of my life.

Offline NO1SY

• Resident Slacker
  • Will eat your cookies
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2020, 06:45:34 PM »
1 & 3 August 2020: Just over 2300 words in about 5 hours worth of writing total over the 2 days. Chapter 5 is about a page and a half longer than I thought it would be when I started it... Waiting for review comments to see what editing needs to be done, but otherwise pleased with the productivity for the amount of time. Unfortunately getting the free-time is pretty inconsistent at the moment.