March 02, 2024, 03:59:15 PM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Writing Log  (Read 45663 times)

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
  • Anyone need a wall of text?
    • View Profile
Re: Writing Log
« Reply #90 on: June 06, 2021, 07:29:34 AM »
@coryn go for it! sometimes stolen moments are the only moments, take what you can when you can :P

@No1SEY epic! hitting a productivity high is an awesome moment. keep it going as long as you can!

I'm steamrolling down to the end of my project now, so my writing is dropping off as there's only the art remaining now. Got a lot of plans for writing a lot when that's finished.
Art: Illustrations / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other Art | Manga Stories & Projects
Other Stuff: Tutorials / Craft / Cosplay | Feedback & Critique Welcome!

Offline Vacant

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 12, 2021, 07:16:18 AM »
Been neglecting this, but have been writing. For the last three weeks I've been using a program called Plottr to help draft my stories. When plotting a story, I used to do a timeline of the key events, between 7-15 beats of the story. Then i'd go in and flesh out what scenes i needed and then get a rough idea of where the chapters fall in and what scene went where. I used to use Excel to do this and move the cells around, but it was hard not to just see walls of text in each cell and super easy to lose track.

But Plottr has a time line function you can use that's essentially gives you that kind of virtual whiteboard. you have your timelines going horizontal, then the vertical columns that intersect. I currently have columns for each chapter, then broken down further into scenes. I give each scene a one sentence title and then you can fill in the notes for it with the entire breakdown. But on the timeline, i can easily slide them around into different places.

I also have a second one for each plot thread running through. So far i've really liked it. Its made planning much easier and I've enjoyed it.

I've also set myself a pretty hefty challenge too. I want my scene by scene breakdown done by the end of this month. Then from July-November I want to of finished the first draft in time for NaNoWriMo!

That way, I'd be happy to take a month off from my current work and try my hand at something a bit different. What that is, I have no clue :P but its a nice thought all the same :P

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 13, 2021, 03:58:33 AM »
nice progress!

that sounds like a really cool program, and bizarrely similar to the program I was going to write to solve that exact problem with moving stuff around and needed something better than Excel. I don't fancy paying out for a license though ahaha so might still make my own program :P

ahhh awesome you're doing NaNoWriMo? I might as well this year, I need the practice for sure. Dunno what form it'll take though, I might even start my own self-event earlier given the productive flow I've been in lately.
Art: Illustrations / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other Art | Manga Stories & Projects

Offline Vacant

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 13, 2021, 05:01:24 PM »
nice progress!

that sounds like a really cool program, and bizarrely similar to the program I was going to write to solve that exact problem with moving stuff around and needed something better than Excel. I don't fancy paying out for a license though ahaha so might still make my own program :P

ahhh awesome you're doing NaNoWriMo? I might as well this year, I need the practice for sure. Dunno what form it'll take though, I might even start my own self-event earlier given the productive flow I've been in lately.

The struggle of Excel is real brother! That sounds awesome though with your own program, hope it works out nicely  :thumbsup: I'll happily purchase a license to it if you ever release it to the public :P

and yeah, its weird to think of it already, but Nanowrimo will be here before we know it.  I feel like really pushing myself to it this year.

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 14, 2021, 03:38:12 AM »
tbh although I considered it I never even started with Excel because of the faff that I saw it would be to manage, I just use Word lol and hope that I remember stuff :P

ahaha well my programming takes quite the back seat these days, it'll probably be a while before anything takes off the ground :P
I generally only start programming when I see the value in investing the time into the program, otherwise you can put a lot of time into something that doesn't give much back. So until I'm a better writer and NEED good organisation, I doubt anything will change :P

Offline NO1SY

• Resident Slacker
  • Will eat your cookies
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 14, 2021, 05:50:31 AM »
11 June 2021: Made a few corrections to the draft - probably no more than 150 words worth, but they were very important changes that had large implications for the villain in the narrative. Once again, having someone there as the editor/project manager really helped put me back on track. Also, super proud of my new chapter titles!

@Vacant - I haven't heard of Plottr before, but having an adjustable timeline sounds useful for planning plot. I've been tempted by Campfire for D&D and story writing, and I also have Scrivener on my iPad that I never use but I know that many people do. Glad to see you are getting back into writing again! Can't wait to get my eyes on some of your work :biggrin:

@Super - I really like your progress charts that you make on your profile thread thing! If I were a more organized person then I think I would steal those! :sure:
« Last Edit: June 14, 2021, 12:26:45 PM by NO1SY »

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 14, 2021, 02:00:18 PM »
@NO1SEY
thanks!
partly I make these because they're just pretty to look at, but it's helpful at a glance to see where you're at. Obviously your entire workflow has to be in definite separate stages if you're going for a similar format to mine.
at the end of the day, if you know what you've done and what you're doing next then that's all that matters :P

Offline NO1SY

• Resident Slacker
  • Will eat your cookies
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 03, 2021, 06:41:27 PM »
3 August 2021: Finally sat down and written again. Has been longer than I'd like away from the keyboard, but I fell behind at work again after having to isolate and then falling ill myself, so mentally have been a bit drained from trying to catch up. Only managed about 300 words this evening as I'm finding it quite a challenge to write other members' Canon avatars without their in-the-moment input... I don't feel like they are my own characters in the same way as original or fully fictional characters in any of my other stories, so I feel that I need to be extra careful and accurate with how I write them.

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 05, 2021, 09:53:30 AM »
True, true. It's especially difficult if you don't know them all that well. There are some people around here who I've conversed with for years, so they come fairly naturally, but I think all canon writers eventually fall into the trap of making someone a bit one-note because they lack the personal experience needed.

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 08, 2021, 03:58:45 PM »
ah that's so true, even though I've not done that I can totally imagine.
I dont know if it would help, but try writing generic phrases without considering their character, to just get the main bulk of the story down, and then adjust the lines afterwards to suit their personality? unless you're alright getting the bulk out in which case it probably doesn't make much difference.
I'm sort of using a similar method for my own characters' dialogue. Just writing the general jist of what they say so that I can force the entire chapter out, and then fixing everything that's wrong.

I've not done any writing since my manga project ended. It gave me a massive lump of experience that I can now lean on when doing new stuff. I needed that experience so badly, having not written hardly anything previously.

In the next few weeks, I'm hoping to write quick short stories, maybe one a week, just to get used to expressing different ideas and characters, and hopefully crack on with some new manga plots sometime in the next few months.

Offline NO1SY

• Resident Slacker
  • Will eat your cookies
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 09, 2021, 12:49:58 PM »
@Suuper - it’s good advice, but for whatever reason I struggle to use generic placeholders… to me character actions and dialogue are almost entirely contingent on their character, so how I develop and write the moment to moment narrative within the plot depends on knowing the characters.

In my head my method of writing is very much if A then B then C and so on, or if A and B then C, with most aspects all building together and hopefully contributing something to the narrative. If B is missing or too generic then for whatever reason… most likely neuroses… I just cannot move on to C, because I don’t fully know the things that lay the foundations for C, if that makes sense. Outside of difficulties with characterisation, in general, if I get stuck on a line, I will almost never write on past it until I feel I have sorted it out.

That all said, I will continue writing this dialogue to the best of my efforts, and then I think my plan is to invite everyone with a character to comment and suggest changes to make sure that it is properly representative. It will be slow, but I prefer quality over speed.

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 09, 2021, 03:52:44 PM »
that's a super fair point, and I sort of thought that might be one of the reasons to not to. I only work with quite generic flat characters at the moment so even though I dont know what they are saying or doing exactly I can ballpark it enough.

but yeah even if it's just one line, progress is progress, and you'll move forward fast enough.

Offline Coryn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 10, 2021, 04:46:37 PM »
This Last Week (ish) - I'm pushing forward slowly with War Arc. Curse my brain though, but I'm getting sucked back in to the Bleach MR world. My brain started firing in it randomly, and now I got three more stories planned out of nowhere  :ohmy:

Offline NO1SY

• Resident Slacker
  • Will eat your cookies
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 22, 2021, 06:08:11 PM »
22 August 2021: Finally added another 500 words to this Sentai chapter draft. I'm relatively happy with how it's shaping up. I spent some of this week watching compilations of Super Sentai fight scenes for inspiration, but all this really prompted in me was the realisation that there is no real good way to capture that choreography to the same level in a light novel narrative form... Which also reminds me that I wanted to have a discussion on here about writing and abstracting combat/action at some point...

Offline Coryn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 30, 2021, 12:39:31 PM »
Have at it in that case. Although the general writing discussion topic is probably the prime spot to do it in.