October 22, 2020, 02:59:38 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Protagonist Litmus Test  (Read 892 times)

Offline Vacant

• View Profile
Protagonist Litmus Test
« on: May 22, 2020, 10:51:10 AM »
I loved Lego's idea of the Universe Litmus Test so much, I thought we'd do another version of it. So we're going to see just how well you truly know your main protagonist. Answer this 10 question quiz below and see if you can provide an answer for each.

Rules

1 - No consulting your stories before answering
2 - be as in-depth as possible. Make guesses if you don't know!

1.) What is your MC's dream job?
2.) At the halfway mark of your story, your MC meets a Genie and is granted one wish. At that moment in time, what would that wish be?
3.) What kind of gift would your Protagonist give for Christmas?
4.) If your character existed in our world, would they watch sports? If so what would be their favourite?
5.)  What would you say their best qualities are?
6.) What would you say their worst qualities are?
7.) Your MC wakes up on a desert island, what would they do first?
8.) Who is the first person to fall in love/have a crush on your MC?
9.) Whats a hidden talent of your Protagonist?
10.) What kind of music do they listen to. If they don't, what kind of music do you think would appeal to them?

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
Re: Protagonist Litmus Test
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2020, 02:23:36 PM »
At this rate we're just going to have to create a master topic for all of these various litmus tests.

Let's get a handle on Coryn Sken then (the character from Coryn's Saga, not me or my MR Canon representation. I apologize to anyone new to this, but I only had one good name when I started here and I used it for everything).

1. Adventurer and righter of wrongs, which is basically his life already so props there.

2. Ah man, if it's half way through book 1? Probably a sandwich, or like, a fully stocked buffet or something. If it's halfway through the whole thing (so like, halfway through book 2), then probably a radar to track down the immortal he and the other protagonists are trying to hunt down.

.... Things were a lot simpler in book 1.

3. Probably some sort of weapon? Maybe a sword paired with a nice bottle of whiskey. It's that kind of universe.

4. He would definitely watch sports. I can see him being into everything, but something fast paced like soccer or hockey would probably appeal.

5. He's a fun dude to hang out with, has a strong sense of respect for other people, and a lot of love for his friends. He's also got a huge zest for life, which by my rules are a forgone requirement for being immortal (the depressive ones find ways to off themselves).

6. If you're not like him (super powered or immortal), he has a rough time finding empathy for them. He struggles to find his own humanity sometime, even though he strives for it. At some point as an immortal, you just find it hard to be around people who aren't. It's not a hatred or anything, you're lives are just so different. I liken it to how movie stars can only hang out with other movie stars, because non-movie stars' lives are so alien to them.

He's also arrogant, and forgets that while he is mostly indestructible, most people aren't. Devil may care, you might say.

7. Enjoy a castaway fantasy until they get bored, then teleport on out of there.

8. Ah, that would be *redacted due to mysterious backstory spoiler reasons*. But honestly probably just some kid having puppy love for another. I don't go so far back that we would actually get to see that moment.

9. Over an immortal lifetime you get pretty good at a lot of things that don't come up in every day life, but he has definitely learned to sing a lot of pop songs in various alien languages. How many times could you listen to the Spice Girls before you start translating it into Martian on a lark?

10. Kinda like above, eventually you just learn to love it all. Why carry hate for a music genre forever when you can just learn to like it instead?

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline legomaestro

• High Chancellor of Righteousness
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2020, 04:56:23 PM »
This is so perfect because I get to low key get fed trivia I would die for in an interview for story on the forums. Definitely hoping more people jump on and heck yes if someone comes up with another Litmus let's just make it one fat workshop

That being said... I'm so bad at this lel

He is living it: A Fisher, looking for treasures in alternate dimensions

2.) At the halfway mark of your story, your MC meets a Genie and is granted one wish. At that moment in time, what would that wish be?

Things are not going well for him, but his sister is miraculously untouched by all of it. He wishes high-level protection for her

Food. Probably not made by himself

4.) If your character existed in our world, would they watch sports? If so what would be their favourite?

Oh he'd definitely be celebratory of trialathons. Any sport that isn't solitary. Fighting? MMA. Snow? Then they've got to do that skiing and shooting thing that they do. He wouldn't find something that quite fits his forte, but he'd enjoy comparing himself to others

Rex is very comforteable with being an underdog. It's not even that, exactly. He feels exactly like a professional fisherman would: Content with the job, understanding of its difficulties, but patient and ready to grow old doing it. He is not a shounen protagonist shouting to the heavens that he'll be the best at the job, no.

He is way, way too proud. If he were honest to his aspirations, he'd find a mentor. He also refuses to admit the obvious fact that he's in the center of a grand story: His clan and parents died for a reason, but he blocks it out and wants to be mundane. Spoiler alert it doesn't work for him.

He would assume that he's back home in his city, or he fainted in a rift. He'd immediately rappel himself across the landscape to find out where he is. Depending on which universe he's in (mine or Earth) he'd either have a short time before the rift closes and be stranded there forever, or he'd find help soon enough

I do not know

He can beat box - not in the rapping sort of way. It sounds sort of melodic. Nobody else can do it quite like him, but it's so useless practically because it's hard to sing or rap to.

10.) What kind of music do they listen to. If they don't, what kind of music do you think would appeal to them?

- I'm suprised that I don't know this one. He'd probably listen to fast paced industrial music for sure.

Offline Echo_River

• Mild Observer
  • Need Chips
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2020, 03:36:52 PM »
These would be great in a MR Podcast some time c:

From my story, Roun:

If he had a choice, Roun would love working with animals in some way, maybe as a vet or a zoo keeper.

If we're talking about the entire story, he would very much just wish to go home.

To his close friends? Things right off their wish lists to make them happy. To his family (sisters in particular)? He'll be pulling pranks. Clothes that don't fit. Dolls talking with his voice. Gingerbread men that look like them. All in the name of "Jolly", "Cheerful", and "Merry".

Totally! Growing up in a warrior clan has made him quite athletic himself and fond certain of competitive activities. His favourite would probably be soccer and dodgeball.

He's empathetic towards others, quick to evaluate sticky situations, and extremely loyal to his family. When serious about it, he's a capable and motivating leader.

He's indecisive and reluctant to choose his own path in life. A choice made today may be ignored tomorrow. When faced with deep decisions, he tries to cheat his way out of it. Avoiding the better choice sometimes results in being set on making a bad decision. Others tend to get caught up in those choices. In short, if he were to come face to face with himself, he'd admit he's a mess.

Scream. It isn't the first time this has happened to him. Once that's over, explore a bit to see if there's anything of interest around. If possible, phone for something to pick him up, or wait around till someone comes to to pick him up. Unfortunately, there's always someone looking for him.

Take a guess. Yep, that one classmate in highschool. Growing up in a family community didn't allow for many romantic encounters, so once Roun entered school he was in for some surprises.

He can play the violin (or the violin equivalent in their world). His mom sent him to take formal lessons. It's something he likes to do when alone to calm down.

A wide variety of genres I'm sure. Formal training would expose him to classical things, and pop music would be common too. In his hometown they have their own traditional music. His favourite would probably be something like ambient vocals though. Nothing distracting but calming.

P.S. so interesting to see the hidden talents have been music related so far XD
No one is perfect . . . that's why there's erasers and extra paper.
DA: http://neysun.deviantart.com
IG: https://www.instagram.com/neysun_hao/
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/noteriddler

Offline OhGodHelpMe

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2020, 04:17:32 PM »
1. An exorcist. Getting paid to banish spirits and save people is quite the deal for him

2. At this point, he wishes he could have the power to save everyone in need and goes to extreme, life-threatening lengths for those he thinks he can save.

3. Alcohol. It has to be alcohol

4. I think Osamu would enjoy himself some baseball

5. He's a mortal willing to throw himself into supernatural situations that could easily get him killed. He developed a way to connect with people, to dig at what makes them sad, and then bring out their inner joy. He's willing to do anything to protect his loved ones.

6. He's a mortal willing to throw himself into supernatural situations that could easily get him killed. He's willing to do anything to protect his loved ones. It's a double-edged sword. His altruistic heroism stems from a darker part of him that wants to die as penance for those he couldn't save. His heroism was little more than one big suicide attempt, or a game of Russian roulette where he just keeps squeezing the trigger in hopes the bullet will finally come out.

7. Panic, cry, and scream. Then drink the salt water until he dehydrates himself and realizes that was a stupid idea.

8. Yoko Akiyama, as early as elementary school

9. Cooking! He's a pretty good cook himself, but the girls usually handle that for him

10. Osamu's a jazz and fusion kind of guy for sure