January 22, 2021, 01:32:23 PM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Things that should NOT be considered weird if you are a writer  (Read 959 times)

Offline facs666

• View Profile
This is an update from the last topic.
Things that you do when you are writing

Here's the list of the habits most of us writers do base from the previous thread and should be considered norm.

Listening to music in the middle of the night while writing is completely normal.

Music sets the mood while writing, it helps you focus to a certain emotion and/or idea. And night time amplifies all of that effects.

So the next time you hear someone singing at the middle of the night completely out of tune.
And when you tell him to shut up and he replies
"I'm writing dude!"
That is completely logical and you should forgive him.. (Well I hope it goes that way.. in the near future or something...)

#2!
Taking alone in public places or in the bathroom is totally normal!

Inside the mind of writer; there are multiple characters. And the only way to confirm if the lines are the correct one or not is by voicing it out. That way, the emotions the writer is trying to build inside his mind is given form in the real world.
By doing this, we can tell if the line is too long or too short. If it's overly dramatic or not. And most of all, it is the affirmation if we had written the correct story, the one that has an impact.
This way, we can elude the everlasting dillema of any writer or artist has -- "This needs revision"

You can write a story of someone who is about to take revenge. But sometimes, the only way you can tell if you are writing it wrong or not is by shouting. "D I E ! D I E ! ! D I E ! ! !"

...And yes, we know, that by itself is well.. not normal to other people. We know that. That's why we often do this in a place where it's completely normal to be alone
which is the --- the bathroom.

In here we can immerse ourself in our own world and try to discover the secrets of the universe.

Food for thought.
Never wonder why a writer is taking too long when he/she is in the bathroom. Inside that room, he is uncovering secrets, developing theories, and hypothesize conclusions on how the human race could end.

If a writer is in the zone. , he/she can be inside that bathroom for an hour. And that is actually the minimum.
When he finally goes out and when you ask what was he doing.
"I was trying to find out if there's something wrong in the theory of relativity".   Trust me, that's the best explanation we could give you. Otherwise, you will be standing there for another hour listening.

#3!
Writers generally wants to be alone.

Don't get us wrong if we say no to an invitation to a party. It's not like we are going to a different party we didn't tell you. We're not in a different place hanging out with a different friend either. (well technically.) We are in a different world. We want to find meaning in pretty much everything.
By chance you see a writer during this time. You can often see them in the corner of their room, with the lights off, in some weird Zen position.
I wouldn't recommend talking to a writer in this kind of moments. There are only 3 possibilities that could happen.
a) You will be completely ignored.
b) You will be considered as one of the characters in their story. You might be able to have a conversations with him in this case. Good luck comprehending what he is trying to say though... You could probably understand half of what he is talking about, at best. And~ there's also a big chance that he is actually not talking to you, but to one of the characters in the story and the conversation just happens to connect in some way..
or
c) He'll tell you to go away. Please retreat once you hear this. Otherwise, you might hear the longest cursing word in your entire life that he is saving for the final boss... for the final episode.. in the very final seconds when the protagonist shouts when he defeats the enemy....

..Please don't get the idea that we hate the world either. (Well some of us do, including me but definitely not all of us.) It's just, the world in our imagination is a lot more interesting than the real one.

That explains why you often see a writer with an expression you can never see when you are together with then, when they are alone.
Like crying or laughing alone... ( Basically, we are no different from a person who has gone menta-. Ok, I should stop here

Finally, for all the writers, I leave you a quote from Alice in Wonderland

The Mad Hatter: Have I gone mad?
Alice: I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are.

Ok, this ends the list for now. Dem, wasn't my intention for it to go dark at the last part but - oh well.  8)
Hopefully we can update this list in the future.

Feel free to write those weird quirks you have when you are writing, below. Please don't hesitate to write your thoughts too regarding this topic.
It might help us writers how we can look normal in public. (We can practice before this lockdown ends. Yeah it would help us, maybe.. well maybe.)

Stay safe everyone!
For those who read this topic and was confused from all the weird stuff I'm talking about - Congratulations, you just wasted your time!... blame quarantine for that, not me. I'm bored here too!
And for those who was able to relate to it
Now awaiting responses.

Online legomaestro

• High Chancellor of Righteousness
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
Re: Things that should NOT be considered weird if you are a writer
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2020, 05:12:01 AM »
I've lost a lot of my weird habits when writing because I've been self-conscious. But you've got to see the weird stuff that writer groups have done over the ages. When they found a trend they totally went wild with it. I like the futurist manifesto for example.

I think music is the go to for any art, really. I've done a lot of good writing listening to one song that particularly did the trick for me, so that should never be considered weird.

The 'craziest' i've done is dialogues with myself, but I'm super careful not to have people hear that haha

Offline facs666

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2020, 12:08:35 AM »
What? Why?!
A wise man once said. "You're human intensity falls when you make friends."

Throw that self-consciousness away. It will soften you up  :sure:
If not , peace will cost you your strength.
Victory will defeat you.

Offline midsummer_feast

• Let's drink and enjoy our lifes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2020, 06:57:55 AM »
That was a funny list to read =^,^=

agree somehow with some points, especially the part with spending much time by yourself. I'm guilty of that one most of the time.  :blush:

Another point that I think many can be "suffering" from is that some might be in a daydreaming like state while walking or being out. It's not that we are ignoring the world, but we might be planning and thinking about where to go with the writing. =^,^=

Might need to mention to that we are some that have our special times when we rather be in the middle of an event while writing. In my case it's sweden rock and during the cherry blossom in Japan. It's a wonderful time to talk with and see other people during those time. And I find it more enjoyable if they are curious about the work, it's fun to talk lightly about it =^,^=

that's all from me  :tongue:

:ohmy:
I am a somebody, that ainĀ“t nobody. In different from everybody... anybody?..
my work:
https://www.facebook.com/novelmidsummerfeast/?eid=ARAyCXf3CG9fpTKu_S56vdbuYs4geoIy0wXTo7QLjF3K1C9NbwiKcKS2L9hb3lNs6JZPhNU_3YNMlT0I
It might be bad, but it's MY BAD... =^,^=

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2020, 01:32:35 PM »
While I definitely agree to an extent, you have to also stay self conscious of yourself like Lego said. Good writers are not made by always being weird reclusives that never interact with the world and despises it. It's also very dangerous to see other people just as characters in your story.

Good writing does not arise from these things. Good writing arises from experience, and a wealth of it at that. A good writer can certainly be eccentric. I think maybe it's a requirement of the job. But if you don't talk to others, see them as real humans, get to know the depths of them, fall in love with them, be with them on a real person to person level, then your characters will always fall as flat.

If you don't get out and see the world as well. Experience as many facets and as many places and cultures and things as possible, you will end up with mere set dressing of locations. None of your worlds will feel as if they live or if they breath.

In my eyes, the actual goal of the writer. How they should be, how they should act around others, what they should strive to become, is the most well rounded person imaginable. Be a true polymath, the one who has seen and done and known it all. The more rounded you are, the more well rounded your writing will be.

The more you LIVE, the more your stories will LIVE.

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline facs666

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2020, 02:16:21 AM »
@midsummer
Man, you're so lucky to have that time. To walk around in Japan to watch people look at the cherry blossoms.

@Coryn
I just wish we have many titles with those well rounded stories available in main stream media. But then again I'm not really updated right now when it comes to movies and series. My impression about today's stories are getting more simpler and simpler to make it accesible to everyone.

And I'm not gonna deny that I often look at the dark side of things. It's been a habit, and worse I developed some kind of pride of being this way. One thing I always make sure of though; I don't forget that I'm the one who is wrong. And it's up to the viewer to prove me wrong. And oh boy you immediately did >..<

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2020, 11:48:02 AM »
Well don't look at it like an attack. We are all lacking in some way, that's why it's important to strive to be better. Even if your progress is only made an inch at a time, it's better to progress than regress.

The media has always been flooded with simple and accessible stories. How many literal dime novels do you think got written back in the day? But the great works always float to the top eventually. Both have their place. Even the great writers of history would pump out cheap nonsense to pay the bills. One is not inherently more valuable to society than the other. They serve different purposes to different people. The same person (including myself in this generalization) can love a deep and interesting novel which touches on the human condition, and also find themselves finding joy relaxing with some cheap trash. They do different things, and that should be respected. And maybe it's the vapid works of art which will inspire someone to look for something more meaningful. There's a lot of complexity at play.

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF