July 05, 2020, 08:38:24 PM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Trace & Draw Medibang Competition  (Read 801 times)

Offline legomaestro

• High Chancellor of Righteousness
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
Trace & Draw Medibang Competition
« on: March 21, 2020, 10:41:40 AM »
https://medibang.com/contest/tracedrawing/?Adm

Found this interesting competition going on. I won't be joining it, but I'm definitely liking this software a lot more. Every time I install GIMP something always goes amazingly wrong haha. This one works out quite well for me though.

Anyways I love that the tracing aspect is being encouraged in this context. This is the sort of thing I wish I'd gotten into earlier during my art career. Right now I'm so scared of tracing and using references it's become detrimental to my visual library.

I wonder if there are other nice competitoins out there that I haven't been paying attention to.

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Trace & Draw Medibang Competition
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2020, 12:20:03 PM »

PS I lied and accidentally joined. Medibang was too fun, and seeing those sweet undrawn models just really got to me. I think I'll be downloading dolls shamelessly now to practice stuff like this. It's such a time saver on the mental faculties.

Also I wonder if I could do this for backgrounds somehow... I guess Sketchup is the obvious start, but I'd need to work with base models that don't force me to follow them too much, but are enough to make me have a skeletal frame to work on.

Offline Suuper-san

• Professional Overthinker
  • We'll see.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2020, 02:03:10 PM »
I'm still working on a sketchup tracing method. Really you just want a nice set of vanishing point lines and you're good to go.
Well I went the hard way and drew 1000 figures of my own to trace haha. It's certainly amazing what you can do when half the work has been done for you, either by yourself previously (my go-to ideology) or someone else's base.

I think it looks great, well done for entering!!

Yes tracing is often seen in a negative light because you are using someone else's work, but if you are in the learning stage then anything that helps you to improve should be encouraged. it's like learning how to kick a curved shot in football by watching your favorite player on TV, if you don't try and copy how will you ever achieve the same goal?

Also shouldn't this be in like one of the art threads?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2020, 02:04:59 PM by suuper-san »
Art: Manga / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other | Manga Stories: Overdrive / Endlessness
Other: Tutorials / Craft | Feedback & Critique Welcome!!

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2020, 02:35:21 PM »
Hmm, I suppose you're right. It's no biggie, but I'll put it in discussion since the theme is relevant to art in general.

Haha the hard way is actually pretty cool too because the sense of achievement is doubly there. And it's definitely worked out for you.

And cheers, thanks. Was fun to draw.