December 07, 2022, 05:46:58 PM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Chainsawman  (Read 1535 times)

Offline legomaestro

• High Chancellor of Righteousness
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
Chainsawman
« on: March 05, 2020, 09:18:23 AM »

Balls to the walls no nonsense action with a protagonist that's impressively shounen-like in a seinen world, only for you to discover he isn't the craziest of the bunch. People die when they are killed in this manga, and fast paced is its first name.

I was made aware of the mangaka after reading Fire Punch, a rawer version of the themes that show up in Chainsaw man. I recommend both of them. It's not everyones' cup of tea but I'm enjoying the heck out of it.

Also calling it: It's definitely getting an anime. And I'm going to watch it.

Offline araithiel

• View Profile
Re: Chainsawman
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2020, 11:55:17 AM »
My quickest version of thoughts:

1) It's not good
2) It's not bad
3) Somehow I read all of it
4) I don't know how to feel about that time. Like it's not like I lost that time...but also I didn't really enjoy it? It just sort of happened...

It's a bit all over the place. I think the shock value of the brutalist art style, permadeaths with no restrictions, and constant one-upping hype are enough to keep it together. I understand a lot of people really do love it and there's a lot of passion there, I'm curious if it will have any lasting value long-term or if it will be this adrenaline rush that ends and everyone moves on.

The main character loses his motivation pretty early on, there's a lack of any time to build meaningful connections between the characters (they're always constantly just fighting), and there's not really any larger narrative going on (Gun Devil is pretty flimsy). The last 20 chapters or so have been a constant barrage of "but wait!" type twists, like just twist after twist which certainly feel interesting in the moment but when you stack this many they start to lose their impact and they won't last longterm when you look back on them (like everyone remembers Ace dying, I can always remember the Claymore moments/twists many years removed, whereas I already can't remember most of the characters who died in this series or why the twists mattered to the larger narrative).

It will definitely get an anime though, I would be shocked if it didn't. The level of passion from the fans merits it alone, and I'd be very curious how they would work out the pacing of the anime (because the manga moves incredibly fast, has huge images, and almost no text) as well as the art style and translating Fujimoto's drawings.
@nick on Wattpad