October 20, 2020, 01:51:22 PM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: How Has Your Music Changed  (Read 438 times)

Offline IndigoDoll90

• View Profile
How Has Your Music Changed
« on: March 03, 2020, 12:59:48 PM »
I'm just curious how has you're interest in music changed over the years. Growing up I would listen to whatever my parents would listen to which was country. As I got into middle school I got into pop. Back then pop was very different then what it is now. By around 2012 I stopped listening to pop as much except for some of the pop I listened to in middle school and switched to rock.

Online Manimal

• God Of Thunder & Rock 'n Roll
    • View Profile
Re: How Has Your Music Changed
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2020, 08:10:37 PM »
I've basically just added to my music taste without casting away anything I liked before for the most part. What follows is an over long and detailed account of my musical journey to date because I can't help it.

The first music I remember liking was Techno and Classic Rock. This started when the Sponge Bob movie came out and I loved the Goofy Goober Rock song and was amazed when my Dad told me it was an old Rock song and made me a mixed CD of Classic Rock and gave me Twisted Sister's greatest hits. I got out of that for a while for my phase of "music from things" when I was 10-11. Bionicle songs like "Move Along" and "Creeping In My Soul". Smosh and Robert Benfer songs (it was 2006-7 man) like "Boxman" and "Treeday", random things like the Knight Rider 2000 Theme, You're The Best, Man Behind The Mask, the Transformers Masterforce theme, whatever I picked up on. "What I've Done" made Linkin Park my favorite band for a while when Transformers came out. In Grade 6 I had perhaps my weirdest musical combo which was a simultaneous obsession with Michael Jackson and Sonic music. 

Then KISS came into my life in 2008 when my Dad showed me Phantom Of The Park and nothing was the same after that. The following year when I listened to my first full KISS album Psycho Circus my life was changed in a way. I became extremely obsessed and listened to every KISS song and over the years I've learnt all I could about the band. Following was Ac/Dc again, who are always my second favorite, Hair Metal bands and other Classic Rock. I was 70's and 80's Rock only and nothing else for a while. I was not a "born in the wrong generation" type but I was a "all modern music is trash" type for a while.

and then Katy Perry's "Teenage Dream" came out and I was like "oh". I slowly realized I can like Pop music to. So I became more open to things. I got into increasing more "heavy" music from KISS to W.A.S.P. to Iron Maiden to Metallica to Megadeth and I stopped there. and then I started listening to J-Pop in 2013, first anime songs for a good while then albums by the artists who had songs I liked. Yui, Aya Hirano, Mami Kawada etc. Then came artists like Utada Hikaru, Mika Nakashima, Shiina Ringo, SCANDAL, Perfume and the more I got into it came Seiko Oomori, BiSH, BAND-MAID, and Maison Book Girl.

In 2014 I started listening to my musical hero Bruce Springsteen and that led to The Rolling Stones, Eagles and Jazz because I really liked Clarence's sax solos. Then I came to love The Beatles and Bob Dylan and I went back to the 50's and 60's. My Rock world changed when I started becoming more open to 90's and Alt Rock. Paipis changed my musical landscape forever when he casually mentioned Sonic Youth which opened my mind and led to Punk and true Alternate Rock. Highlights being The Misfits, The Smiths, The Clash, The Replacements and My Bloody Valentine. I was led to think I had to hate this kind of music, but it was misguided and I figured this out over time. I even came to like Rap with Ice Cube's early stuff and Kendrick Lamar, though I don't listen to much anymore. 

I always want to add and never take away. I listen to KISS and still love them as much as I did before, but also feel that joy when I listened to Daydream Nation or TOKYO BLACK HOLE or Emotion etc. I have a history of being stubborn and then blown away when my misconceptions are shattered. I haven't expanded my tastes much at all in the last year or so however.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 08:27:38 PM by Manimal »

Offline Suuper-san

• Professional Overthinker
  • Anyone need a wall of text?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2020, 08:17:08 AM »
I used to listen to a lot more classical music and English pop ,which my parents were into, but I started listening to more jpop when I got into anime, and now that's basically all I listen to on my own. I think the feel of music I like has always stayed about the same, not too heavy but not too light. Stuff that I can sing along to is nice.
Art: Manga / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other | Manga Stories: Overdrive / Endlessness
Other: Tutorials / Craft | Feedback & Critique Welcome!!

Offline Echo_River

• Mild Observer
  • Need Chips
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2020, 03:28:41 PM »
I've actually thought about this before, because the music I listen to now is much different on what I was raised on - here's a list of how music progressed for me (this is over a period of time).

1. Classical music - My parents used to play it on the radio a lot, and I was also classically trained on the piano.
2. Ghibli Soundtracks - I loved them as a kid and they're saved as a separate thing in my mind c:
3. Jazz - At first I thought it was a bunch of nonsense, but it's really grown on me.

4. Game music/soundtracks - (Period of time where all I wanted to do was play LOZ on the piano.)
     - Other games included: Ace Attorney, Professor Layton, etc.
     - Since games included other music genres, I started to like jazz and rock through them.
5. Movie/TV Show Soundtracks - Doctor Who, Forbidden Kingdom and so on.

6. Vocaloid - I had a whole vocaloid phase. Wasn't a hug fan over the characters, but the whole synthesized voices and digital music intrigued me.
7. Utaite - People who sing Vocaloid covers (Still listen to a bunch of them: Soraru, Mafumafu, amatsuki, Eve, and more)
8. J-pop - But of course, you can't watch anime without bumping into this!

(Period where all I listened to was J-pop...)

9. K-pop - I was introduced to this late in the game (compared to some people that I know >_>) It was so bizarre to me at the time (like, what the rap?).  And ngl (don't kill me for this) I think I prefer J-pop better.
10. Rap - Not even sure how this happened. I was browsing on Youtube, watching music reaction videos, and yeah. Went through a phase listening to that.

And here we are. My playlist isn't completely subject to one genre. It's more like a compilation of all the songs that I've enjoyed from different areas. Heck, I actually don't know how to properly categorize the genres. :noidea: Who knows, my preferences might change in the future...
No one is perfect . . . that's why there's erasers and extra paper.
DA: http://neysun.deviantart.com
IG: https://www.instagram.com/neysun_hao/
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/noteriddler