March 29, 2024, 07:07:03 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Greebles (Visually interesting details)  (Read 4419 times)

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
  • Anyone need a wall of text?
    • View Profile
Greebles (Visually interesting details)
« on: March 22, 2019, 07:36:40 AM »
here is a wiki page I ran into while googling star wars stuff
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greeble

Quote from: Wikipedia
A greeble or nurnie is a fine detailing added to the surface of a larger object that makes it appear more complex, and therefore more visually interesting.

And here is a greebled cube from the Wiki itself.

Quote from: Wikipedia
The detail can be made from simple geometric primitives (such as cylinders, cubes, and rectangles), or more complex shapes, such as pieces of machinery (cables, tanks, sprockets).

This appears to be useful in vehicles, buildings, cities, props and almost anything you might draw, even outfits.
So the challenge is in several parts, which ever you fancy:
-Take an old drawing and add a lot more details to spice it up and make it more interesting
-Take a simple shape (cube, cylinder) and add details to make it look cool and interesting
-Take a normal object, prop, item of clothing, and add details to make it look cool.

Details can just be features of a similar theme, ie spacey parts in a spaceship, simple shape such as extra cubes and whatnot, or even a different theme to add a subtle extra layer of detail.

Steampunk is full of this kind of thing, and could almost have it's own workshop.

You could even post an image of an item for the next person to try and draw with extra details.
That being the case, if someone fancies it here's the first image. No restrictions on how you change it as long as it resembles the original item. It could even end up as a different object if you want (ie. vehicle/spaceship etc)
Spoiler
« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 07:39:08 AM by suuper-san »
Art: Illustrations / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other Art | Manga Stories & Projects
Other Stuff: Tutorials / Craft / Cosplay | Feedback & Critique Welcome!

Offline legomaestro

• High Chancellor of Righteousness
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
Re: Greebles (Visually interesting details)
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2019, 02:20:44 PM »
Mwahahaha! Great minds think alike! I think it was looking into Ralph Macquarrie that made me learn about this and make a workshop for it back in the day.

http://forums.mangaraiders.com/index.php/topic,17561.msg277566.html#msg277566

Didn't pan out, but if there's at least one person interested in this then totally. Would definitely at least make my blank backgrounds more visually interesting.

And gawd I haven't read steampunk in too long.

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
  • Anyone need a wall of text?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2019, 05:41:09 PM »
wow that's like 10 topics down and I didn't see that lol. Funny when I posted I wondered if anyone had posted something similar already and thought "nahhhhhhhh" so I didn't check lol. pretty sure I was around at that time but must have missed it when you posted. I'm probably going to get round to it next month or so along with my 3d stuff. Learning to add details in both 3d modelling and also by hand in sketching is a nice idea because they will get used in different ways.
good to have you on board, even though you were on board already >_<

we need more steampunk. actually it'd be worth writing a steampunk story just to draw it.

great minds indeed :D

I'm not sure which topic to post in now haha
maybe merge them or delete my one or something?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 03:23:20 PM by suuper-san »
Art: Illustrations / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other Art | Manga Stories & Projects
Other Stuff: Tutorials / Craft / Cosplay | Feedback & Critique Welcome!

Offline devola

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2019, 08:55:33 AM »
I'm really bad at this but I'm definitely interested in this sort of thing. Steampunk is an aesthetic that I really enjoy!