March 29, 2024, 12:45:38 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Chit Chat 2020  (Read 52348 times)

Offline NO1SY

• Resident Slacker
  • Will eat your cookies
    • View Profile
Re: Chit Chat 2020
« Reply #105 on: June 30, 2020, 06:58:43 PM »
@Vacant - What got you so into Wrestling?

And @Lego - Where are you!?

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
  • Anyone need a wall of text?
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 01, 2020, 03:43:51 AM »
well my username is a pretty silly story but whose isn't I guess. I changed it from suupertramp which was the original.
I got branded as a tramp (jokingly by my friends) because I liked to pick up pennies off the floor. And for some reason I was way stronger than everyone else in my class, puberty or something I guess, and I had proper strong looking muscles, still no idea why, everyone else was just super scrawny and weak I guess? I didn't work out or anything. So I got labelled as a super-tramp. I didn't know the bandname at the time but I knew the song tho. In most cases the username supertramp was used so I added another u for effect. These days I'm trying to avoid copyright and so I kept the suuper bit because it sort of describes me I think, but added a -san because I'm into Japanese and stuff.

My other more public username is FlawlessParadox, I had a friend who had a cool username that was just two similar words stuck together that sounded sci-fi, and I thought hey I want one too. So I randomly picked those two. It sort of well defines me in my ambitions and my contradictions, but I think it sounds like I was trying too hard to sound cool.
Art: Illustrations / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other Art | Manga Stories & Projects
Other Stuff: Tutorials / Craft / Cosplay | Feedback & Critique Welcome!

Offline Manimal

• God Of Thunder & Rock 'n Roll
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 01, 2020, 06:56:01 AM »
Happy Canada Day to us. It doesn't really feel like July 1st, I don't know how it suddenly became July but hey, still went and got Tims for breakfast this morning. It was my power fantasy as well since the few times I've gone in the last few months there have been fat drive-thru lines but not a single car this morning. Celebration. 

Offline Vacant

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 01, 2020, 08:19:59 AM »
Before that my music taste was very informed by what my mum would have on in the car on the way to swimming lessons (Blue and Westlife...)

I know that struggle brother :P

Thats a cool story though dude, I had no idea you'd gone through a few instruments before you found your groove. I never knew you'd played onstage too, thats awesome!

but the TL:DR is that we have Nickleback to thank for No1sy :P

well my username is a pretty silly story but whose isn't I guess. I changed it from suupertramp which was the original.
I got branded as a tramp (jokingly by my friends) because I liked to pick up pennies off the floor. And for some reason I was way stronger than everyone else in my class, puberty or something I guess, and I had proper strong looking muscles, still no idea why, everyone else was just super scrawny and weak I guess? I didn't work out or anything. So I got labelled as a super-tramp. I didn't know the bandname at the time but I knew the song tho. In most cases the username supertramp was used so I added another u for effect. These days I'm trying to avoid copyright and so I kept the suuper bit because it sort of describes me I think, but added a -san because I'm into Japanese and stuff.

My other more public username is FlawlessParadox, I had a friend who had a cool username that was just two similar words stuck together that sounded sci-fi, and I thought hey I want one too. So I randomly picked those two. It sort of well defines me in my ambitions and my contradictions, but I think it sounds like I was trying too hard to sound cool.
I did always wonder if it was due to the band for your old name! Its cool to see how names evolve over time, Im glad youve got a part of it from so long ago still going strong.

Happy Canada Day to us. It doesn't really feel like July 1st, I don't know how it suddenly became July but hey, still went and got Tims for breakfast this morning. It was my power fantasy as well since the few times I've gone in the last few months there have been fat drive-thru lines but not a single car this morning. Celebration. 

Happy Canada Day all! To honour the occasion, I'll have maple cured bacon for lunch.

Offline Vacant

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 01, 2020, 09:00:00 AM »
@Vacant - What got you so into Wrestling?

Ohhhh now this is an easy one. So I had just turned 5 when I saw my first ever wrestling show on TV. Its one of my earliest memories as me and my two older brothers went around the next door neighbours house to play with him. They put the TV on and there it was, the Royal Rumble 1996. Our neighbour and my brothers were already into it so knew who everyone was, but to me it was like nothing I'd ever seen before. WWF/WWE was full on cartoony in the mid 90's and so many of the characters were straight out of a comic book. I was captivated by it. 

From there we started watching regularly and I became sucked into the world of wrestling. It had heroes beating villains and cool action to a kid like me thats all I needed.

I think I felt so strongly about wrestling as I have 4 siblings and we all vary wildly in our tastes, interests, hobbies and social circles. One of the very few things we all hold in common is an interest in Wrestling. That one thing we took from early childhood to now is something special for us in our family I think.

Naturally, we wrestled each other too. In fact, we roped in like half a dozen other kids down our street and created our own federation. We all had several characters we created to wrestle, made belts out of cardboard and would schedule shows and PPV's. How any of us avoided serious injury is a mystery, as our favourite matches were Hardcore matches (weapons allowed, no rules kinda affairs). I remember hurting like hell after we had a construction site match (they were building new houses not far from us and we snuck in on the weekend). I jumped off of the scaffolding and missed everyone in my failed Jeff Hardy mimicry.

I don't remember when it clicked to me that it was fake. This was pre-internet for me but it was probably when i got to around 11ish. Normally thats a good break off point for a lot of people. But it had the opposite affect on me. I became more interested in the inner workings of it. Who decided what, who did they compose matches and do the stunts they did. It added another layer of fascination onto it for me, as you started to learn and discover the real people behind the characters they played onscreen.

However, around 2004ish we no longer had cable at our house and that combined with puberty and the usual teenage interests took over. It wasn't until Christmas of the following year that it reared its head again. I got a PSP for Christmas and as part of the bundle it came with Smackdown vs Raw 2006 (a classic to this day). I didnt play it for the first few weeks, as I was far more interested in GTA. But then, one day I decided to have a look and I got pulled in again. I was enjoying the game and ended up playing the career mode. Although it had been less than two years since I'd stopped following wrestling, there was so many new faces and changes. Gone were The Rock and Stone Cold, to be replaced by John Cena and Batista.  I got so curious, I started buying the PPV DVD's with my paper round money.

I haven't looked back ever since. I always find that Wrestling scratches an itch nothing else can. It has a massive influence on my interests in writing as well. I'll be the first to admit that the writing in Wrestling (namely US promotions) is very hit and miss and it can feel like trying to find the diamond in the rough at times. However, its core is scripted athletic drama.

The best sports contests, be it boxing, UFC, Football or Baseball all have a narrative to them. It could be a rivalry, a players last season, your captains just returned from injury, the fighters are both undefeated going in etc. whatever it may be it builds anticipation for the event. Then there's the actual match itself. We all remember the drama of when Silva lost to Weidman, or when England snapped their penalty losing streak against Columbia in 2018.

What Wrestling can do is manufacture this artificially. Now it is no easy feat and it fails often. However, when the stars align, it can be pure magic. I'll never forget Daniel Bryan's Wrestlemania 30 title win, the culmination of 2 years of outcry from fans for him to be pushed, only for the onscreen authority figures to proclaim him not good enough. Or the Austin/Hart double turn. Through the story they told in the match, both men switched roles coming out of it, with Austin passing out in a pool of his own blood refusing to tap out, cementing him as a star.

What I mean in this long winded ramble, is that I like wrestling and appreciate both the stories they can tell and the athletic nature of the contests.

Offline NO1SY

• Resident Slacker
  • Will eat your cookies
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 01, 2020, 11:34:35 AM »

Happy Canada day my dude! Wishing I was with the family in Winnipeg drinking a Tim’s coffee and eating an A&W burger with a side of poutine! Have a good one :biggrin:

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 01, 2020, 03:51:28 PM »
Happy Canada Day to the great white north!

@Vacant: It's weird knowing what you mean talking about England playing Columbia (It helped that I was with you at the time, I'd say). Still feels like arcane knowledge for an American to have.

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline Vacant

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 04, 2020, 08:54:53 AM »

However you're celebrating my American brethran, I hope you have a good one!  :cheers:

And of course....it would be remiss of me not to wish the Forum a...................
:birthdaywish: :sporty:Happy 13th Birthday! :shotgun:  :bparty:
« Last Edit: July 04, 2020, 08:57:26 AM by Vacant »

Offline Coryn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 04, 2020, 01:49:59 PM »
Indeed! Happy birthday MangaRaiders! Our collective shining star in the horrid void that is the internet!

Offline NO1SY

• Resident Slacker
  • Will eat your cookies
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 04, 2020, 06:39:33 PM »
HAPPY 4TH JULY AMERICANS :cheer:

And Happy Birthday MR! Wow lots to celebrate today!

Offline Echo_River

• Mild Observer
  • Need Chips
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 04, 2020, 07:08:24 PM »
Oh yay! Happy Birthday MR! Hope everyone's having a good day >w<
No one is perfect . . . that's why there's erasers and extra paper.
DA: http://neysun.deviantart.com
IG: https://www.instagram.com/neysun_hao/
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/noteriddler

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
  • Anyone need a wall of text?
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 15, 2020, 12:59:02 PM »
whoops missed it haha
once again MR has survived another year
 :dance:
Art: Illustrations / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other Art | Manga Stories & Projects
Other Stuff: Tutorials / Craft / Cosplay | Feedback & Critique Welcome!

Offline Coryn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 15, 2020, 01:21:47 PM »
Can't keep us down! Hasith is if nothing else, punctual when it comes to paying the bills  :sleep:

Offline legomaestro

• High Chancellor of Righteousness
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 05, 2020, 07:24:47 PM »
That reminds me, I need to ask how Hasith donos' fish are doing at a point.

I'm learning quite recently and practically that not only is cooking worth the trouble, it is literally cheaper and is every bit as free form and fun as drawing or making music and stuff. I thought I had to be Gordon Ramsey to touch a pan but honestly so long as I have an idea of what I want things are going OK-ish

That being said someone plz teach me how to cook rice right! Mine is always either dry or porridge

Offline Coryn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 06, 2020, 10:03:44 AM »
Rice is hard man! I've seen a couple of good methods. I would check out on YouTube What's Eating Dan: Rice or the Basics with Banish episode on it. Dan's method is all about finding the right size of pot, and the correct rice to water ratio. Babish uses an oven and sheetpan method.

Personally I just found a lot that's the right size, and go with the classic ratio of 1 cup rice to 1.5 cups water (you can do the milligram conversion). But no matter what you have to be attentive to your heat.

That, or just give up and buy a rice cooker  :tongue:

Good luck! Everyone starts somewhere in the kitchen! Even Gordon Ramsey once burnt all his food.