October 22, 2020, 02:22:05 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Urban Writing  (Read 863 times)

Offline legomaestro

• High Chancellor of Righteousness
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
Urban Writing
« on: November 10, 2019, 08:03:31 AM »
I'm playing around with the idea of something I'm calling 'urban writing.' Where I describe a room I'm in using words or short sentences.

As an artist I find myself always running away from drawing backgrounds, and that's a bit of the same in my writing to be honest, so I sort of hope this hobby helps.

(Plus I feel like a cool kid coining a term)

What do you guys thing? How good are you in general with backgrounds (whether artist or writer)?

Also some examples of what i've done

Spoiler

Train

Train carriage. Cieling lined with white flourescents. Passenger chairs with handles. Trays on their back. Nets at their seat. An electronic sign that displays date, time train info and direction o travel

Dentist: Waiting room. Clean. A red semicircle carpet with childrens' chairs. Big knock-off legos of blue, red and green. Puppets in a mass together. Can only see their legs.

Cups on a try with Eisbacher medium water (green label)

A modern metal shelf with boring medical magazines and one tabloid. A white rubber duck.

Dr J in a red baseball polo shirt. White collars. Bespectacled. He has a nice smile. Kind eyes.

Pictures on a wall set on the vague approximation of a star. Smiling personnell.

Comfortable with chairs w leather seats and wooden armrests

Light brown curtains with minimalist stripe patterns. One plant in the corner with long blades of grass and some stalks with white fluffy tips. Light hidden behind wood that splashes on plaster walls.

2 walls yellow - the rest white.

Near the water - Business cards. Another (plastic) shelf with "Für Sie zum mitnehmen" A heater made by Danfoss

The room is war. Glass door. "Wartezimmer"  in reverse. Clean floor. A bin with a step-on lever. An elongated dome. R2D2 Shape.

T's place

Table, cups and nail polish. Chocolate cigarette tobacco. Ashtray. Wooden bowl with self-made mushrooms. Flatscreen TV. Xbox. Wooden book shelves.

Kitchen

Checkered floor, posters of rockbands on the wall. A string with buddist prayers printed on cloth. Mickey Mouse with CDs for ears. A fridge with cutesey brown-white anime characters. Yellow smiley fridge magnets. Blue spice rack with Habu on it.

Offline Suuper-san

• Professional Overthinker
  • Anyone need a wall of text?
    • View Profile
Re: Urban Writing
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2019, 08:34:29 AM »
I have occasionally done this when observing the location I am in, which is good practice for observation, and also good for when you are short of ideas you can flick through your notes to get ideas of stuff to draw. Urban writing is a cool name, although it's more like notation than writing haha.

I find that it takes a very long time to draw backgrounds, especially with any level of perspective or accuracy, and so 3d programs are very useful for setting up a lot of the base lines, if not all of the background for tracing or use as-is. I prefer that to drawing it "on my own", since it's time and method that is the issue, not actual skill. Plus you can use the 3d model again for multiple backgrounds which is seriously time saving for repeating locations.
Art: Manga / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other | Manga Stories: Overdrive / Endlessness
Other: Tutorials / Craft | Feedback & Critique Welcome!!

Offline legomaestro

• High Chancellor of Righteousness
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2019, 01:49:11 PM »
Perspective and accuracy is a grand point. Actually, that's interesting to me. I should see if I even want to have backgrounds that are perspectively accurate and stuff. It's a silly thought, maybe, but I can imagine sacrificing backgrounds on purpose and making them stylistic and symbolic.

But if I want them to be accurate then I'm definitely using Google Sketch for them

Offline Suuper-san

• Professional Overthinker
  • Anyone need a wall of text?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2019, 02:27:07 PM »
One Piece backgrounds, for one, were pretty much drawn on the fly I think. While perspective exists, it's borderline accuracy. Enough that you don't notice anything wrong, but otherwise almost freehand. It's nice. I prefer the accurate kind like in Blue Exorcist, the details in the background items and so on is really nice, but it takes up valuable time haha
I think it's good to learn how to draw everything correctly, the methods and so on, but then the way you chose to draw afterwards is your style, same as an individual style for drawing a face or something. So it's your choice. Personally I prefer to draw accurate and detailed, but I would probably sacrifice it for speed.

Google Sketch is pretty much the fastest 3d design software out there in terms of workflow, but it lacks in functionality and tools, but extensions (if you can find free ones) make up that lack a bit. It's kinda like a motorbike compared to a tank. Sometimes you need the power of a proper awesome software like AutoCAD but when you don't, Sketchup is great.
Art: Manga / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other | Manga Stories: Overdrive / Endlessness
Other: Tutorials / Craft | Feedback & Critique Welcome!!

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2019, 04:14:46 PM »
I haven't concentrated on settings so much, but I will definitely find my inner monologue falling into Writing Voice TM at times. Usually when I'm bored and stuck somewhere (in the car, falling asleep, etc). I'll just start narrating *censored* out loud like I'm some sort of improv actor. If I'm lucky I can direct that into something useful that can be used later, but a lot of times I'm just a ranting crazy man driving down the turnpike talking to myself about bison or whatever, lol. Still, pulling off your surroundings is a good idea. It's real passive inspiration.

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF