March 29, 2024, 02:05:49 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Hello all! New here!  (Read 6870 times)

Offline RobinVie

• View Profile
Hello all! New here!
« on: October 06, 2019, 09:33:59 AM »
Hello MangaRaiders,

I'm new here, I stumbled upon the website after looking for writers for an undefined personal project.

I'm a 2d digital artist/illustrator from Portugal. At the moment I'm not doing anything so I thought to take the time to work on personal projects. Before I worked in a couple of companies, mainly illustration jobs or concept art.

I gave up on drawing manga when I was 16 to work on fundamentals after a streak of poor interviews at events like ifcc and thu and some advices given back then, and never came back to it until now. I mean I still sketched occasionally, just never took it seriously.

For those curious about my art, my portfolio is on revisions atm but you can probably find my twitter/insta/artstation by google searching robinvieart.

Hope to get along with you all!

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
  • Anyone need a wall of text?
    • View Profile
Re: Hello all! New here!
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2019, 09:59:57 AM »
welcome to the forum!
true, even when drawing manga, the fundamentals are the most important haha
looking forward to seeing your art :)
Art: Illustrations / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other Art | Manga Stories & Projects
Other Stuff: Tutorials / Craft / Cosplay | Feedback & Critique Welcome!

Offline RobinVie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2019, 10:21:45 AM »
welcome to the forum!
true, even when drawing manga, the fundamentals are the most important haha
looking forward to seeing your art :)

Thank you!

Yeah fundamentals are super important, I lost almost a decade thinking practice would make it perfect while trying to draw manga, now thinking back I don't regret it but I was basically copying poses and stuff instead of trying to understand it, and that can only be done through traditional means. Not only that but I was limiting myself to characters, and a bunch of stuff that came later on (edge control for example) came in handy when drawing manga. I wouldn't think it would matter since manga is essentially drawing based but it actually plays a big part.

I think I need to post 20 something comments first before posting links right? Is there a way to attach pictures to a comment instead?

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2019, 10:30:06 AM »
Yeah I almost went the same route, I still draw mostly manga but I reference real poses and photos a lot more than I used to. I'm tackling one skill at a time.

You first have to upload your image to a hosting site, like imgur
To insert an image, you can use the {img} tag (with square brackets) around your image link, like so:
Code: [Select]
[img]www.website.com/image.png[/img]
A lot of image hosting sites offer a BBCode button that you can click, and it will add the tags for you and put it on your clipboard.
You can also click on this button to insert the tags
Art: Illustrations / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other Art | Manga Stories & Projects

Offline RobinVie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2019, 11:03:38 AM »
Thanks!
Aight let's try it with one of my fanart daily sketches

Edit: Thanks for the help suuper-san, seems to have worked properly ^^ Hope to post more in the forum galleries.

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2019, 11:25:23 AM »
awesome!
Nice bold colors and shading!
You draw daily?
Looking forward to seeing more :)

Offline RobinVie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2019, 12:39:30 PM »
awesome!
Nice bold colors and shading!
You draw daily?
Looking forward to seeing more :)

Yea this year I'm taking a daily sketch challenge so I do one of these every day at least. It helps a lot to loosen up.

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2019, 05:33:42 PM »
I imagine it does help a lot :P
I draw weekly but every day doesn't work for me unfortunately XD
tackling new challenges is a nice thing :)

Offline Hati

• The werewolf
  • genderqueer: he or she
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2019, 07:12:05 PM »
Salutations my friend. Looking forward to see more art. ;)
Pink moon's gonna get you all.

Offline RobinVie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2019, 06:38:50 AM »
I imagine it does help a lot :P
I draw weekly but every day doesn't work for me unfortunately XD
tackling new challenges is a nice thing :)

Ofc I don't know exactly your situation but I said the same when I was younger until some people started pointing out "you always have time to draw, you can pretty much draw everywhere, in transports, while eating, even in the toilet".

And at least for me that was true, I always made excuses that I didn't have time to draw or paint and that wasn't the case. In my case it was painting in specific, I claimed that I didn't have time and couldn't just paint in oils because it would be a mess to carry stuff around, so I just bought a small gouache case and started painting everywhere, even in the place I worked back then. For places where I couldn't really paint well because it was overcrowded like subways I used a brush pen instead. It helped a ton.

All I'm trying to say is that for most people they actually have the time, they just don't use it properly. This might not be your case but I highly doubt it, at least you have to go to the toilet sometime :v

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2019, 02:11:54 PM »
thanks for the tips :P
no worries I do use my time pretty well, it's just I can't draw EVERY day, as work days I'm tired and I do house work on other days.
I mean I just completed 365 nearly-finished sketches in 5 months in my sketch thread
I do spend a lot of time travelling but drawing while travelling is not convenient so I do Japanese study or other useful stuff.
I don't want to obsess with art like drawing with every little moment I get like in the toilet lol although I understand how useful it would be to be immersed. I'm a bit of a Jack of all trades when it comes to interests :P
On my holidays I draw for hours every day which is great, and working at a school means I get school holidays and I do extra drawing on the days that I would have been working :P
« Last Edit: October 09, 2019, 02:15:09 PM by suuper-san »

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2019, 02:19:50 PM »
Welcome to MangaRaiders! Glad to see you're already engaged in a spirited conversation with Suuper!

I totally agree that you can always find a little time to be creative! I'm a writer first and foremost (or, entirely one might say), but my world was revolutionized when I discovered google docs for my phone. It definitely took some time to get used to (and I am certainly slower with my thumbs than a real keyboard), but being able to work anywhere I have signal really is life changing. The real hurdle is just committing to it at any one moment. You have to make the active decision to write instead of just looking at memes for 5 minutes.

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2019, 02:25:51 PM »
You have to make the active decision to write instead of just looking at memes for 5 minutes.
Why are you attacking me Coryn

XD

With regard to that though, it helps to preemptively have 5-minute tasks (or tasks that you can easily jump in to) lined up for when you have 5 minutes free otherwise you will very easily take the easiest route of mindless browsing and youtube. You have to be strict with yourself to be the maximum level of productive, and I am nowhere near where I want to be for that :P

And I agree, I do a lot of writing and memo-ing on the go, especially ideas for sketches and studies and so on.

Offline RobinVie

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2019, 01:15:03 PM »
Welcome to MangaRaiders! Glad to see you're already engaged in a spirited conversation with Suuper!

I totally agree that you can always find a little time to be creative! I'm a writer first and foremost (or, entirely one might say), but my world was revolutionized when I discovered google docs for my phone. It definitely took some time to get used to (and I am certainly slower with my thumbs than a real keyboard), but being able to work anywhere I have signal really is life changing. The real hurdle is just committing to it at any one moment. You have to make the active decision to write instead of just looking at memes for 5 minutes.

Thanks!

The trick to committing is understanding that motivation doesn't just come out of nowhere. That's what changed my life, I'm really lazy, so when I was younger I'd always procrastinate and think "I'll just watch this series until I get in the mood for drawing", I'd get really mad because I had no motivation, which lead to depression and anxiety but one day, I went to a talk in a private convention and some director was talking about the motivational issue and how our generation's thinking on that subject is flawed.

He mentioned that motivation comes after doing something and it snowballs after that, things as simple as cooking your lunch could snowball into a finished work. That's how I see motivation, if you just stay still and don't commit to something you'll never find motivation, you have to start something no matter how simple it is to get the will to do something else that requires more motivation. This was something that was hard to understand because people just kept saying "you just have to push yourself to do stuff", and my answer would always be "how do I do that if I have zero motivation?". Until I understood that motivation is something you create, not something that comes naturally, I couldn't commit.

With that line of thinking I started to have a day plan that pushed my motivation. For starters I treat myself to a coffee every single day, but while I did it at home usually which lead me to just chill watching something on tv, I changed it to going to a coffee shop, takes some money but it's worth it, I bring my sketch book and brush pen every day, and without even thinking about it I resort to drawing "just to pass the time" as I say because I limited every distraction possible that I had at home.

This usually leads to ideas popping off or finding something interesting outside, yesterday I encountered a man with a crazy beard style so I drew a bunch of characters based on him and wrote some stories. Whenever I come home I don't even want to watch tv shows, if I start to watch them or read stuff online I get really triggered because I have the itch to draw or paint based on what I achieved previously during my coffee.
In case that doesn't happen in the morning I have other plans that put me in a spot that makes me draw unconsciously. Motivation is also a product of the environment.

What made me realize these things was actually looking back. When I was in school whenever the teacher was talking I was doodling, but I can't do that at home because there's too many interesting things to pass the time.

Knowing yourself is important in that regard, I never feel tired because I'm always motivated, whenever I feel tired   instead of taking a break from work I just work on a different thing (I always have 3 projects that I keep separated at the same time), that way I always feel refreshed. Took me a while to actually do this because I'm bad at organizing stuff, but I keep everything about each project written down, that way I can juggle between them without the fear of forgetting something. I can dive right in to each project because I can read my notes about it. I used to do it in docs like you, but I switched to a traditional format, since information piles up when I look at them I can see the amount of work I already done, which also gives me motivation. That said for scripts and the likes I use scrivener, but I always print them out when I'm done.

My issue now is actually the opposite, my sleep schedule is really bad because every now and then I just work 2 days straight without sleeping, it got to the point that it's unhealthy (I lost a lot of weight) and I have to take pills to sleep.

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2019, 01:54:35 PM »
The trick to committing is understanding that motivation doesn't just come out of nowhere.
I have a power up routine that I have to get maximum power but I often overshoot and become hyperactive so it's not all that great haha :P

I changed it to going to a coffee shop, takes some money but it's worth it
This is true, I pop to coffee shops with my family for a bit of down time for lunch when I can. I don't draw though :P

Knowing yourself is important in that regard
Hard agree on this one, what works for one person may not work for others, you have to figure out your own strengths and weaknesses.

information piles up when I look at them I can see the amount of work I already done, which also gives me motivation.
I can also vouch for this, although at some point motivation switches to disbelief :P

Sounds like you've figured yourself out pretty well, which is awesome.

I wonder though, when drawing in public do you get much attention from people? I don't really like drawing in public because I don't like attracting attention to myself very much, but I wonder if it's a bit of a false fear. I know Legomaestro has had people approach him when drawing in public so I'm wondering if it's a universal thing for artists.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2019, 01:56:51 PM by suuper-san »