April 04, 2020, 01:09:05 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Suuper's manga (+digital and 3D)  (Read 106406 times)

Offline legomaestro

• High Chancellor of Righteousness
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
Re: Suuper's manga (+digital and 3D)
« Reply #1500 on: March 07, 2020, 05:40:19 AM »
XD XD XD XD

Offline Suuper-san

• Professional Overthinker
  • We'll see.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #1501 on: March 09, 2020, 04:44:49 PM »
new sketch style I'm trying out. not sure if I want to do the shade "by hand" hatching it all, but it certainly doesn't look too shabby.
I'm developing 4 sketch styles simultaneously because why not. The first is my daily sketch style, when it was good and also coloured. I want a pencilly sketch style and a fat cartoon style, and a rough sketch style. Also 4 colouring styles to match. More to follow later.

some fanart in this style wouldnt go amiss. the fanart project keeps threatening to start up soon. which is also a headache because I don't have that many characters in my memory at all, so it's going to be quite study heavy, which I didn't really want it to be.

I'm thinking this style would look nice with monochrome shading, but not grey, like blue shading with blue lines, or red shading and red lines, as if it's been drawn and shaded with a random colour pencil.

super tired all day basically did my daily sketch and this, and now I'm going to bed.
My projects are all over the place but I'm doing stuff.

I think I'm hitting a bit of stress from taking a lot on at once, I've gone in 4 months from doing some art every couple of days, to doing 3+ hours of structured learning and projects every single day. It's possibly my second largest jump in a small space of time.

Literally I'm almost certain now that it doesn't matter what you are doing at all, as long as you are doing something, and you will improve in your art.

EDIT: rambling warning
So I've been getting a bit annoyed at the quality of my WIPs being all over the please but I'm realising that my WIPs aren't really for producing final pieces, it's more a huge improvement project, which happens to generate [mixed quality] pieces. So I shouldn't really be happy or sad with any of my pieces, because the end result is " I learned something", not " I made something". So I think with my improving in skill, I forgot that my WIPs are meant to be stepping stones for me to improve my art to the point of not needing WIPs anymore- that is, producing final pieces form nothing (like my daily sketch when it got good)
I say "not needing WIPs", but no doubt my work will break into different stages of producing ideas and finalising them, but I imagine it will be closer to a 2 part method only, "generating ideas", and "finalising ideas". The large number of WIP steps at the moment are for me to sharpen my skills in each area that I need to produce art, but they aren't necessary to split them up all the time. Like with my inked hands regime, I'm cleaning and inking on the same page, so it's skipping a WIP stage of storage. The hand sketches are going from "concept" to "inked". I'm still doing a cleaning stage but it's contained within the project page itself, and I don't export said cleaned stage as a WIP page. So I imagine my art will eventually take a similar form. Because once you have an idea that's basically all there, there's no point just moving it forward one single stage and then putting it back inot the pile again. It's actually a slightly slower process as you come to each stage fresh and not familiar with it. it's good for noticing mistakes, but as I improve in skill, I'm hoping mistakes will be reduced.

Also my finishing stage and cleaning stagea re starting to highlight errors in my workflow. I draw the figure twice, one in each stage, but as my masterpiece method showed me, it's better to draw both figure and improved figure one after the other, then the clothes are in the right place and almost you don't need a cleaned stage. I'm not sure how to resort my WIPs or changemy workflow but I'm thinking that a rework is in order, and it should improve either efficiency by removing uneeded stages, or increase quality, by having the stages of work in the correct order. I don't think it will get faster and better at the same time, but either one would be great. Also I'm realising that my general purpose WIPs are not really illustration style pieces, they are more manga scene pieces, like, I can't quite explain but they are just too normal - not interesting enough. that's a style issue as well, but a manga pages is by default more simpler than a single illustration as i'ts drawn up much faster generally.

So I'm thinking that my WIPs are reaching an end of an era, and a beginning of a new era, but until I know exactly what that means, I won't change anything I do. I'm still working to whittle down the number of unfinished pieces, and also study stuff and also work on projects for future things. I think I need to be patient with my own progress, but also impatient in my attitude to getting work done. Basically I've got to work harder than before, because I have so much I want to do, and my goals are stupidly huge and numerous haha.

Like really sets of WIPs should be contained in a better structure than doesnt let 1000s of images sit around just waiting to get finished, but producing 100 sketches, finishing them and inking them , and then you've got 100 finihsed pieces done with no WIPs left over.

whatever I'm feeling a bit better now
XD
« Last Edit: March 10, 2020, 01:05:04 PM by suuper-san »
Art: Manga / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other | Manga Stories: Overdrive / Endlessness
Other: Tutorials / Craft | Feedback & Critique Welcome!!

Offline Suuper-san

• We'll see.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #1502 on: March 12, 2020, 11:46:57 AM »
Gave up on my linearts regime. Got to 161/200. Actually that's wrong because a page of my masterpiece cleaned sketches got caught up because they looked like linearts lol
My remaining WIPs dropped below 50 and some I want to save until I'm a little bit better so it was a decent place to stop anyway, and I've cleared out everything to ink more than 6 months old, so I'm quite caught up as far as linearts go.

Here's the full lot, click to zoom a little more.

Spoiler

I don't have too much to say other than I've certainly learned a lot about my own art style and the direction I want to take it, as well as the level that I can consistently work at, which is about 25% my maximum. meh but bearable.

Overall quality was alright but proportions were pretty bad because the undersketches weren't up to scratch.

Doing the masterpiece level really helped to point out where I'm skimping on quality and what my current skill level is at, and produced some top notch linearts as well which is nice.

I tried out a few other inking styles of different qualities as well and I have a couple that I will carry forward into my new projects and regimes, so the WIP processing really helps for trying out ideas with sketches that aren't so important.

I've also learned to control my quality and how to deliberately put in the correct amount of effort for the desired quality, which is a control issue that has been nagging at me for ages. So that's a big plus for the future. I think it's not just the inking project that did this but really the efforts I've been putting in the last 3/4 months.

I'm not too sure what my next project or regime is, but I'm thinking I want to lean away from WIPs as a main for a bit, and develop my illustration style, as well as figure out my manga page workflow. At least for now. The WIPs, especially the older ones, are starting to lose momentum as I'm shifting into a new gear of productivity and inspiration, and they are becoming a little irrelevant now I think.

I'll be trying more self-contained versions of my WIP processing that generate and develop ideas in the same page, rather than just one or the other. And I'll try and go for more themed pages as well.

Onwards and upwards I guess XD

...I have a sneaky suspicion that my entire direction in art is a strange gamble at hitting a super high target. Like I'll either succeed awesomely or fail amateurishly. I made a huge jump in skill from Jan 2019 to Jan 2020, so I guess by next year I'll have a better idea of if I'm just having artists blues or I'm actually in danger of shooting myself in the foot with my bizarre ideologies and methods/workflows.

Edit:
Made yet a new statistic visualisation.
Spoiler
Basically right side=3 months ago, left side=today, 2 month width
darkest blue is when I opened one of my canvasses, the fade is just for beauty, probably doesnt help. I made a gradientless version as well lol.
each row represents one of my open-canvasses.

Gradient Version
Dot Version

I don't think it's useful at all really but it's pretty so there you go XD

I'm nearing 100 open-canvasses now that I have a more efficient method for working through them. So I'm sort of doing quite a few parallel projects at the moment.
Some open-canvasses are doubles, like experiments where I work on really bad sketches and I'm a bit more carefree and loose, and the normal version, which I'm a bit more serious and work on my standard sketches. I keep my carefree sketches to myself haha.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2020, 02:10:27 PM by suuper-san »
Art: Manga / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other | Manga Stories: Overdrive / Endlessness

Offline Suuper-san

• We'll see.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #1503 on: March 21, 2020, 07:08:55 AM »
Another lace pattern using my instant lace tutorial method. Quite a specific method but results are great for something like a detail of clothing that will keep popping up like in manga panels.
I think it doesn't look too bad.
I've got half a dozen different methods for lace that I've got to try out to see how they work, and then come up with some nice patterns for me to use later XD

I'm thinking of writing a program that works in tandem with GIMP, rather than writing my own art drawing program from scratch (which I will do sometime anyway). So it sort of stores patterns and brushes or something for when I need them, and even picks a random one for me, even changing colours and randomizing certain elements, and then I can use it in GIMP. Because otherwise I will have 1000's of brushes to sort through all the time. A lot of my masterplan is really setting myself up to generate illustrations very quickly by offsetting the workload into different areas of my life. like designing a lace pattern before I need it.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2020, 07:32:44 AM by suuper-san »

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1504 on: March 21, 2020, 09:27:09 AM »
WIth your clothing work this'll be a boon for sure. How did you make this pattern? I'd love to try it out just for fun if it's easy to download.

Offline Suuper-san

• We'll see.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #1505 on: March 21, 2020, 11:45:45 AM »
Nothing to download - this was just a normal method with the standard GIMP tools, and one custom brush preset (but not needed)
Since you ask, I'll make a tutorial sometime, but until then, it's similar to my quick lace tutorial on my tutorial thread.
it's so easy once you know how to do it, the possibilities really open up.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2020, 12:03:13 PM by suuper-san »

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1506 on: March 21, 2020, 12:14:48 PM »
I'll check it out. PS Saw your colouring tutorial again and for 4 minutes super informative. I know you can't churn them out like a regimen but it's really cool to have it out there. Wish I could teach something like that.

Offline Suuper-san

• We'll see.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #1507 on: March 21, 2020, 01:13:16 PM »
Meh, teaching is just conveying information. If you have it then you have it. I overthink things so it's easy to put down my thoughts into exact steps, because that's my entire being. Plus regimens, or anything if you look hard enough, are also just series of very simple commands. "Draw a figure" "Draw a face on the figure" "draw clothes on the figure" etc.

Oh I've made my Lace tutorial in the Tutorials board now anyway.

And, well, at mach speed it takes less than 10 minutes (5 at top top speed) to churn out a coloured sketch so it's well within regime territory. Plus working in bulk speeds things up really well.

I've got 4 I think colouring pages in my project list, 2x colouring old sketches for practice (1 at the fastest speed known to man, the other in a generic low quality style), 1x redrawing and colouring in different sketch styles and 1x colouring linearts, and 1x colouring linearts masterpiece, so that's 5 I think. wow I have so many projects haha.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2020, 05:13:49 PM by suuper-san »

Offline Suuper-san

• We'll see.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #1508 on: March 31, 2020, 01:58:54 PM »
I haven't done much in terms of showable output since my last post tbh but I've been majorly busy in my art nonetheless.

logging off from MR helped with staying away as it made it harder to reply to something when I lurked, and so I eventually stopped lurking after a couple of days. I don't know how often I'll post now but at least at the end of each month you'll all hear from me.

I did another page of coloured sketches, took less than an hour to colour this time. I'm doing 20 to a page now because I try and keep my pages lasting longer than an hour.
I need faster ways of making patterns and stuff.

I managed to hit 80 hours of drawing this month which is great considering I almost didn't draw for a whole week when I temporarily did full-time to cover at my work. Like mostly everyone else I now don't have to go in to work, and it's Easter holidays anyway for 3 weeks for me. So it's been full go for the art.

I've been pushing my boundaries in workload to get to about 6 hours drawing in a day, but it's not perfectly consistent yet. I tend to sleep a lot when there is a major change to my routine or I'm learning something big, so I've been sleeping a bit more than normal.

I rambled a little back about how I'm starting to change the way I see my WIPs and what their purpose is, well I'm still not 100% sure, but I've made a couple of big changes. First of all, I've dropped over 1000 unfinished drawings from the different stages because they were not interesting enough - just a girl standing or something. So I'm aiming to increase the diversity of my output, and by taking out all the non-interesting sketches I give myself a challenge with harder concepts, and also produce more varied work as well.

It was an absolute pain to sort them out - I had to go through each sketch individually, and I've got 3000+ sketches.
I now only have 2.2k WIPs remaining. It was 4k a couple of months ago so it's getting a lot more manageable.

Secondly, I've made a big adjustment to the levels of quality that each stage of WIP processing generates. I've doubled the time taken for the "finished sketch" stage, and made it more of a resolving sketch stage - with a higher focus on getting proportions right - there is a triple figure iteration to get them really good and then it's easier to clothe them and get the face proportions right. My cleaning stage is now a sharpening stage - although I can't start it until I have enough sketches finished to the new quality. But I suspect it will be similar to inking, but less neat. I'll be trying to add more details etc.
The finished stage now produces the same quality pieces as the original cleaned stage, which was meant to be after it but has now been made obsolete. So a huge jump in quality per time as the 2 stages have been combined. Saves processing them twice too, which is nice.

Here's how the quality differs:
Left - Finished sketch from January
Right - finished sketch from today.
The figure has been erased where it goes under clothes and overall everything is a lot more confident.
It comes with a +100% time spent price tag. But it's worth it, as it's now a much higher quality.
Incidentally this workflow was stolen straight from my masterpiece workflow, so it helps to try and work at a very high quality to see what actually makes a difference to consistently producing high quality.

I've also added an extra stage of "Finalizing concept" - i.e. you might have a good idea, and it's clear what the diea is, but the lines and proportions are so all over the place it's not clear how to actually execute the idea. I'm not sure how to deal with this stage so I tacked it on to the start of my finishing sketch phase. I'm also doing more towards backgrounds in my sketches as well, keeping it simple for now but working on the best methods to build up details.

Also because of the confusion and work being up in the air over the Corona, I kinda dropped all my regimes. Not cancelled them mind you, but I'm not doing anything at the moment. Still been doing tons of drawing though, so all's good.

I'm almost able to consistently get into the zone for drawing. It's a funny one but basically you've gotta have a good control over your thoughts and focus. And not trying to rush can help.

I'm almost getting it together with my mid-long term projects and should have something to show for it next month.

I upgraded my timer app, obviously. Nothing like a bit of programming to boost productivity.
Now I can choose different types of timer, one is a grid as normal, one is a stack of categories, and one is a grid with categories. So it records the time spent for each sketch but also the time spent on each individual iteration of the sketches. Very useful for spotting where my time is being spent the most, and probably much more useful than knowing how long it took to do an individual sketch. I don't think I even want to record the time spent now and just record the average once I have my total time. It's a bit too micro-management, especially as I can time the stages themselves now. I've future-proofed it a tad as well so I can grab more statistics later down the line when I can be bothered to write the code.

The box at the bottom you can select what stage you are on in the sketch and it will put the lap times into that category.
Also see how one box has a thicker outline? that's the last box I clicked on. So it's easier to see what box I should click on next as I always work along the rows. And when loading the project I can quickly see where I left off last time, sometimes I've had to skim each one to see what hasn't been done yet.

A stat report for how much time is spent on each stage, and the average for each sketch.

Just a category version, mostly for my very fast WIP pages where it actually slows me down to measure each sketch individually.

I've been playing with brushes and line styles a bit more as well, making new dynamics and brush settings for when I work in different styles. but so far, I'm still working with my normal styles.
I've got quite a few tutorials for GIMP and general workflow that I'll make sometime.

I've got super high plans for the next month. I'll hopefully hit over 100 hours of drawing a month for the first time ever. If I'm lucky I'll hit 120 or something stupid.

Also a super useful thing I have been doing and something that I would totally recommend to my past self, is to take a huge collection of inspirational art, photos, wallpapers and stuff, and go through them, copying small elements and seeing how to get the same effects and look as what you're copying. So it might just be the glint of a sword or something, but you're trying to work out that one detail and make methods to create stuff. Pretty much how my lace ideas spawned. I'll do the same thing for patterns later as well.
I mean this can be applied generally or very specifically, looking at something that's too complex for you, picking a tiny manageable detail, and saying "now how on earth can I do that?"

And I'm on 103 ongoing projects, be it feet studies or WIP pages, I'm opening each one on average once a week. Very good for keeping up with studies and knowing what studies you've been slacking on.
Once my manga gets going it'll jump by another 10 projects as I do more studies and manga wip pages. haha smh.
I'm not sure if I'm going to start doing a manga soon because I have a huge amount of time to tackle a project, or just use this time and just do more of everything that I was doing already.

Talking of manga, here's a batch of random page concepts. There's no solid idea for each page, although I had a sort of idea when I was creating it. The idea is to go over these and finalize the concept with text/speech, and then finish it in stages like my normal sketches, but in a manga specific bulk page.
Took 45 minutes to finish the page once I decided what quality I was aiming at. I'll probably work in a higher page count next time, and also do a tiny bit more sequential like 2 page story fragments and just keep working up.

edit:
forgot to mention that I adjusted my end of month sorting so rather than having to be done on the last day, it can basically be done at any time, so every 2/3 weeks or every 8/10 doesn't matter, the same statistics will get made. So I can sort when it's convenient to me.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 12:59:28 AM by Suuper-san »

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1509 on: April 02, 2020, 09:05:40 AM »
Boss-level stuff that you're doing here dude. I knew this situation would bring out the best in some of us haha. I really wish I had this level of control over my routines. I have a lot more dead hours in my day than I anticipated, and getting into bulk work would be so useful now. Love those pages first and foremost - They beg to be completed. Nice sense for panneling and expressions too.

Also pretty ballsy tossing out a lot of unfinished sketches. It's hard to do but it's every bit as useful as learning a new skill. In fact  a lot of my slow-down is related to me being hung up on past projects that I absolutely do not want to throw away, but when all is said and done I probably should (I won't, but I should haha.)

Awesome stuff all round dude, with programming to boot.

Love the colourwork too. I'm still on the fence about getting into colour because it always turns out so not-cool, but it's inspiring to see nonetheless.

All praise the bulk-lords! And good luck on getting those hours in, take care and see you around. Great stuff, suuper.