April 17, 2024, 11:49:33 PM

------------------------------------------

PLZ READ THIS ALL ACTIVE MEMBERS

CLICK Here.

Author Topic: Bulgarian Elements in my Manga: Studying  (Read 3735 times)

Offline Krislalev

• View Profile
Bulgarian Elements in my Manga: Studying
« on: August 08, 2019, 12:13:05 AM »
Hello once again!

I'm currently reading bulgarian folklore myth and legend stories or just some fairy tales that my country has developed and created over the years. I was thinking that this would help me understand more about how a story is made and maybe I could take an existing Idea and turn it into manga by bending the story so that if the original idea is in the medieval age my story could be switched in today's modern world OR if there is a mythical creature or a talking animal, I could make it a human with,  perhaps, some of those creatures' elements or some similar behaviour. Stuff like that.
Is that a good method of understanding storry telling? Will that Help me create my own manga story? I already got inspired by reading some of them.

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
  • Anyone need a wall of text?
    • View Profile
Re: Bulgarian Elements in my Manga: Studying
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2019, 06:32:11 AM »
I think a lot of people get inspiration from legends and myths so there's no problem in that at all.
And since they are such old stories they don't have any copyright on the use of the characters in them, I assume, so playing with the base of a legend story to make a manga is probably quite a safe bet.
Looking at manga and anime that already exist, a lot are clearly based on mythology, especially Japanese gods and whatnot, the same characters of legend often appear in different animes, but styled to the writers whims (like if they are a cute girl (way too overused!) or an old man or an animal or whatever) (as an example, in Noragami, one of the Four Heavenly Kings in Japanese Buddhism, Bishamonten, is male, but appears as a female in the manga/anime. Noragami heavily uses Gods from Japanese religion/mythology in it's character lineup and story concept)
I think if you're already thinking that you're inspired then that's your answer right there, it's a good method.
Art: Illustrations / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other Art | Manga Stories & Projects
Other Stuff: Tutorials / Craft / Cosplay | Feedback & Critique Welcome!

Offline KeanFox

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2019, 10:52:32 PM »
Dragon Ball is Journey to the west. I just learned that Jiraiya, Tsunade, and Orochimaru are from folklore. Most of Naruto is.

Offline Krislalev

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2019, 01:11:12 AM »
@suuper-san that's a relief. I'm glad you said that because i wasnt going to stop until i found a genuine method or way to create a story with which I will be happy for. Thanks for that! If there is anything that's not right I'd love to hear so that I may reflect on it.

Offline Krislalev

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2019, 01:11:59 AM »
@KeanFox Well I just learnt that from you as well xD. Thanks, thats awesome info! Now i need to know more!