August 20, 2019, 02:34:12 PM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Story Brainstorming  (Read 139 times)

Offline Krislalev

• View Profile
Story Brainstorming
« on: August 03, 2019, 01:07:15 AM »
I'll try and keep it brief. I am brainstorming story ideas and want to share them with everyone, see what you guys and gals think. Which are good, which are not, why, can you combine this idea with that etc. The more brains i am thinking, the better chance for me to come up with something amazing!

Here are my genre preferences:

Mystery, Reality, Adventure, Suspence, Supernatural or SN if you preffer)

Motivational Shows:

Death Note, Code Geass, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, Monster, (Brase yourselves!) H2O: Just add water...yeah, that!, Limitless.
So far those are all I could think of.

Without further a due, here we go:

1.Reaper (Pitch:None that comes to mind)  - A person has near death experience, in his coma dream he meets the reaper who offers him a contract. The reaper will tell the person exactly which day and time he will die and until then no matter what he will not die and all close-to-death situations will seem luckily and naturally avoided. In exchange, when the person dies, the reaper takes/devours his soul. No one except Me, the writer, and the main character will know that date, until it actually happens.

2.Serial Killer (Pitch: Death Note meets Jojo's B.A.-Diamond is Unbreakable)  - A man works in a bank with a fantastic work ethic, very tidy and pedantic, charming and charismatic. However, he has an unusual hobby: killing. No one knows about it and whenever he kills he absolutely makes sure no one ever finds out anything at the crime scene. He would even clean the floor, the body, put in in a certain tidy posture etc. One detective, quite te opposite of him (untidy, rough tongue, intense life, tired eyes, talks lazily) wants to use his steampunk gadgets and find the killer. Its like Light vs L situation.

3.Telekinesis - (Pitch:Death note meets H2O)At a beach/sea/ocean related setting. Person finds s strange looking shiny pearl as he has an evening walk on the beach. There is a strange octopus shaped head drawn on it and it looks like made of silver. He makes it into an earing and puts it on. whenever he touches it, he can move inanimate objects with his mind. This will take some practice chapters to get used to. It turns out this pearl is Cthulu's.

4.Flat Earth Archeologist Professor(Indiana Jones meets The Two Earths from Bakuman Episode 6 at 10.55 minutes) - After accidentally stubling on top secret government(let's say) files, Archeologist(Name) finds out the Earth is Flat and what everyone knows as Earth is only 10% of it. The other 90% is behind the polar Ice walls surrounding the now known as the "Experimental 10% of Earth". He takes on a Journey to uncover the secret of everything. On his adventures he stumbles upon the most unusual things.

That's all so far. I will keep updating this post since My ideas are ongoing and I want to share them with you all!
 :read: :tongue: :heart:

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
Re: Story Brainstorming
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2019, 08:54:21 AM »
To start, I'll give you a popular refrain around here: A summary tells us little. It's how you actually write the story and what happens in it that makes it good and unique. So just remember that us looking at something like this can only ever really be a surface level evaluation (after all, they are surface level descriptions). There is no substitute for actual written work!

That being said, let's get down to business.

1. Reaper definitely comes across as having the most potential of the three. Although one must question that if this is the grim reaper of grim reaper fame that we're talking about here, why they need permission to take the protagonist's soul. It reads much more like your classic deal with the devil sort of situation. Maybe than just a generic "eat your soul" threat, the reaper should be making an actual deal here. Cause right now it sounds like death is really not getting anything out of this. Maybe in exchange for the rest of their natural days, the protagonist must accomplish a task for death that death cannot. Y'know, on account of them being death and what not. That way you're also introducing your actual plot right away. Whereas right now I have no idea what the story would actually be.

2. Remember what I said above, but at the same time, this idea has also been done to death already. So to elaborate on a previous point, it's not that I can't be made new and interesting, but it will take 10 times as much work. Plus, I generally find it a bad idea to couch your new idea as "blank meets blank". If possible, you should never draw from a recently dried well.

3. Do Cthulhus make pearls? I digress. Seems like it could go somewhere, but as with 1, you're kinda lacking a plot to take us away with. My only real critique I'd that just putting a Cthulhu face on the pearl is pretty cliche. Peals in real life are odd, organically formed things. In their natural state they are often oddly shaped and a variety of colors. Put some thought into making it unique amongst pearls, while still leaving it in the organic realm. A touch of realism like that is what breaths life into a story.

4. So this is actually a good set-up for an adventure story. However. I wouldn't set it on Earth. Two big reasons for that: Using "undiscovered science" in a story is great. Real good fun. But using straight up "anti-science" isn't, especially Ina the when a lot of people aren't overly trusting of academics. This is especially true if you plan to incorporate actual parts of flat earth theory. Second reason is that you will have a lot more room to play if you set this in a fantasy (in the generic sense, I'm not suggesting high fantasy) world. A lot of stories (Chronos Ruler and Dragon Ball immediately spring to mind, are set on earth, but not on Earth so much. They use 'near earths'. They call them Earth, they're like Earth, but taking a look at it, it's clearly not capital E, Earth. Using a setting like this leaves you free to invent, without having to invest time in researching actual earth. You can leave hard truths of geography and politics behind and get on with the good stuff.

Anyway, that's my two cents spent. Hope you got something from it.

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline suuper-san

• I have no idea what I am doing XD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2019, 10:02:06 AM »
I'm definitely getting a Death Note vibe from the story idea so far!!
Hunter x Hunter was also a nice world with "undiscovered" parts that was "similar to Earth but not Earth". I agree with Coryn, leaving the flat earth out of our actual Earth. And yes, a great advantage of using your own fantasy Earth is that you don't have to do a lot of research into specific locations ie what houses look like in America, or Japan - you can make your own countries and their own fashions and designs for things (depending on who you are, that might be a bad thing haha)
Art: Manga / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other | Manga Stories: Overdrive / Endlessness
Other: Tutorials / Craft | Feedback & Critique Welcome!!

Offline KeanFox

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2019, 11:25:23 AM »
@Coryn When you are trying to pitch your manga or comic to a magazine you are often required to add the "it's like a blank meets blank" It just makes the pitch much easier, go faster etc  Especially for the person that has to read a bunch of story pitches. I think studios and publishers don't want to gamble on new ideas and if they must, it better be big-name brand meets big-name brand.
I been in groups where people pitch their ideas like that so I personally don't mind seeing people use the pitch format more for manga/comic ideas. 
I agree with the rest.

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2019, 04:22:19 PM »
@Kean: Your point is taken, but just because it's common practice, doesn't mean I shouldn't be allowed to disagree with it conceptually. Like I said though, I'm thinking about it less in terms of selling it to someone, and more in terms of thinking about the thing yourself. A story needs an elevator pitch, but your story can't use an elevator pitch as a foundation.

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF