July 15, 2019, 04:41:59 PM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Aspiring Artist "Almonds" Aquaints Anime Audience  (Read 120 times)

Offline StoutAlmonds

• View Profile
Aspiring Artist "Almonds" Aquaints Anime Audience
« on: July 05, 2019, 11:59:54 PM »
Hey everyone, I'm the new guy. Well, one of them. I've used forums before, but I haven't scratched the urge of an manga/art forum yet. I don't really know how this specific forum works, but I've lurked around and read the rules, so I guess that's a start. So here are my answers to some of the stickied questions:

03. How did you find the forum ( Google, FaceBook, Hi5, Other Forum etc )
I looked "anime art forums" on Google. This seemed to be the best one.

04. You are an artist, writer , just Manga/Anime Fan or Webmaster
I would say I am an Anime Fan and a Manga Connoisseur.  8) More seriously, though, I have some rough experience in writing, but 0 practical drawing experience. I'm hoping that by surrounding myself with a creative community inspires and motivates me to get off my butt.

06. Where are you from ( Country, City )
America is as precise as I'll get.

07. Your Favorite Manga and Anime
  • The Monogatari Series
  • Land of the Lustrous
  • A Silent Voice
  • Fate
  • One Punch Man
  • My Lesbian Experience With Loneliness
I haven't seen that much Fate, though.

08. Your others interests / Hobbies
Not much. I'm majoring in Information Systems, but it's not like I'm in love with it or anything. I do play a lot of video games, too, but a lot of them I just play to blow off steam. Some games I have played are: The World Ends With You, Bioshock, Borderlands, DOOM 2016, Killing Floor, Payday, League of Legends, Rainbow Six: Siege, and Vermintide 2.

09. what you like to do in forum .. ( Post your drawings, Stories, Talk about Manga/Anime etc )
Well, I haven't got a good enough feel for this forums to say for sure what I'm going to do, but hopefully I'll be able to post my writing/works. It's a dream of mine to be able to just draw stuff and post it online for others to become inspired by. Who knows.

What about you? What kind of works have you done? How do you keep yourself motivated to write/draw? Any tips are welcome. I'm kind of a sensitive person when it comes to criticism, but I know it makes us better people. I'd love to see what you guys have done.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2019, 12:01:52 AM by StoutAlmonds »

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
Re: Aspiring Artist "Almonds" Aquaints Anime Audience
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2019, 02:24:35 PM »
Welcome to MangaRaiders!

It can definitely be hard to stay motivated. Personally, I'm motivated by a strong guilt response to keep myself busy. Like, if I quit now, then all that effort before is just a waste isn't it? But at the same time, being a writer is a big part of my own self conception. If a writer doesn't write, then what do you become right?

Of course, when it comes right down to it, we all love being creative on a base level. It's that, more than anything else, that keeps us all moving forward.

Good luck!

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline StoutAlmonds

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2019, 05:14:44 PM »
Welcome to MangaRaiders!

It can definitely be hard to stay motivated. Personally, I'm motivated by a strong guilt response to keep myself busy. Like, if I quit now, then all that effort before is just a waste isn't it? But at the same time, being a writer is a big part of my own self conception. If a writer doesn't write, then what do you become right?

Of course, when it comes right down to it, we all love being creative on a base level. It's that, more than anything else, that keeps us all moving forward.

Good luck!

Thanks for the reply. Is there a specific way to reply to people on MangaRaiders? On this other forum, we would usually quote or @mention somebody to get their attention.

Also, I saw your writing, and I'm really interested in it! I'll read more into it when I get the chance. I see you mentioned something like "it is writing, but is meant to be a manga", and I feel the same way about my writing; in other words, I write like a novel but I'd rather it be a manga. I kind of suck at describing the environment and characters, and I don't like pulling attention from the plot to do so.

Hopefully I'll see you around. Thanks again for your time.

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2019, 10:12:09 PM »
Oh believe me, you stick around here, and you won't be able to avoid me ;)

As far as replying directly goes, it's basically as you've just seen. You hit the quote button, cut it down to what you want to say, and then reply. We also do use the '@name:' format as a framing device in our posts, but there's no like, notification system. If you want to get someone's attention you can always PM them though.

Oh wow! That's a real deep cut quote of mine. I'm honored you went digging. Yeah, that was definitely my framework at the time. These days I would say I'm looking more like "manga inspired prose". I want to transpose the feel of it into words. A big part of that is both my own moving on in life (going from college to working full time), and just he general betterment of my writing skills.

You can't rely on art as a crutch though. Building your setting is super important. Even if you don't think you're good at it to start (and let me tell you friend, none of us are), one day you will be good at it. And what's more, you're probably better at it right now than you think. Half the battle is confidence.

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF