March 29, 2024, 11:10:00 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Interesting Revelations by getting a job offer  (Read 5015 times)

Offline legomaestro

• High Chancellor of Righteousness
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
Interesting Revelations by getting a job offer
« on: February 18, 2019, 05:23:00 PM »
Gotta be a bit careful with this one because I'm still gathering my thoughts about it and building up upon it, but it's interesting and relevant enough to share. At least I hope.

TL:DR Waited centuries for acknowledgement that was already being freely given, but was too hung up on it and didn't want to move forward. Moving forward now.

Ever had such an out of experience happy moment that you get pissed off about things in the past as a result? No? Just me? Well exactly that has happened. Pissed off isn't even the word just a sort of deep dissapointment and something akin to disgust? At my past self and hang ups.

I was urban sketching as people with too much time tend to do and having a horriblefun time of it, alternatively zoning and cursing my drawing - proportion-sama why are you so cruel - and just doing what I've done a bunch of times with no big expectations. This was one of those great sunny winter days where the air is fresh and the sun is bright (but as effective as a light bulb) and the colours are so much richer, somehow. If I had colours with me I'd paint something.

Anyhow I was almost done and this crew of 3 unassuming arabic dudes - sneakers jackets 30-40s types walk past me. One of them walks back and says 'Yo dude that's sick. You drew that? Nice!'

I appreciated it quite a bit. Said as much. But that wasn't the end of the conversation. "You want to draw my restaurant? Can you do interiors?"

I'm like "Well yes I'm *censored* but I can draw interiors. I like drawing. I know the place."

Hand wave. "Come."

And we go. Smalltalk along the way and I'm pretty bemused by the whole thing. He's super friendly. I set myself outside and start drawing the restaurant. I'm just having fun and this dude offers me tea on the house and even gets me a free meal. Somewhere along the line I find out this guy is a legit shop owner and stuff, and the drawing will be for sentimental reasons, but he also offers me instagram followers and a book commission, even at the very least the chance to sketch a fancy cocktail bar where at least one free drink will be on the table. I'm bemused as all hell and getting excited even.

Meeting ends and I'm in the present, reeling from all of this. I have one last exam to write before I truly chew over this but I'm thinking, more than the phenomenal validation of some amount of marketablility of my work, that I've wasted a hell of a lot of time seeking approval when I could've just been going along getting stuff done.

This is literally a self-made problem. It's the same cheese I hit myself with when it came to writing. I had no idea I had it in me to write paid commissions until I did it and got cash for it. And now this. I thought my realistic perceptions of my level of art were on point, but they were a bit too pessimistic, and I should've done a lot more to push myself and do what I wanted to do and risk what I wanted to risk without waiting for approval. I can see about 8 or more wasted years of wasted farting about at a minimum because of all this foot dragging.

I'm not saying my ish smells like rosy flowers of the field, I'm just saying I should've focused on my stuff while ignoring the noise. And while I'm happy as heck to be free of that rut (never getting hung up again) I'm so, so bitter about it all. This is not a lesson I'm having fun learning about, but it's important all the same.

To close off this particular revelation: I am my own watcher. Seen dudes do one drawing a day minimum as a regimen on their IG that led to some great results. I'm doing something like that. My writing needs love. 1,000 words a day may be crazy/not crazy enough. I'll need to see, but I'm definitely making a self commitment to myself on that.

I'm still on the improvement circuit, but there are some stories and comics I need to wrap up and slam dunk. They're going to be worth something to at least one person out there, and I'm going to finish them as a commitment to myself and on the off chance I'll reach one person I will miss if I don't get to work on that.

God I'm pissed as all hell. I'm hoping when I get to terms with it I'll be able to look at this all positively, but now I just want to sucker punch my past self. Or make him deaf.

Second part of the revelation is: Marketing is a completely other thing than Creativity. It's a circuit that needs to be practiced and cultivated somehow, and I'll look into it tentatively. Really, I don't want (and can't. I know myself) to be an entrepreneur. Heck, I don't even want fame. But I can at least make a front that isn't cowering under a blanket under a carpet in a basement under an Igloo in the North Pole. I can be ninja, but I don't need to deny my existence. That's going too far.

Did I mention proportions are frustrating to learn? K.

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
Re: Interesting Revelations by getting a job offer
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2019, 05:53:47 PM »
Well Lego congratulations. This is a lesson most people will never learn. They'll give up long before they do. But you've made it this far now. You just gotta keep looking at that road ahead. Sure it maybe took longer than you would have liked, but you're hardly an old man. You've got a lot of time to capitalize on this!

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline KeanFox

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2019, 01:00:29 AM »
I had a similar revelation when I colored a drawing for a friend and he made a poster out of it. it was a line art of his characters that I just colored for fun but seeing it as a poster gave me what you having now. The revelation I mean. That poster drawing meant something to someone. Is that what we talking about? Drawing that guy shop meant something to him.
Yea, marketing and promoting is part of being an internet artist. It feels like a hassle tho. Posting on Twitter and Insta I mean.

Offline L.K. [Taikichi]

• The Cel Shader
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2019, 04:23:21 PM »
If your past-self doesn't make you cringe, then you're doing something wrong. That goes for everybody. This is just the side effects of you growing as a person.

Offline legomaestro

• High Chancellor of Righteousness
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2019, 08:24:19 PM »
I'm not necessarily cringing at my level of the past. I'm cringing at the wasted time and the way I was approaching things. I haven't really imporived that much between then and now, but yeah, I get what you mean.

@Kean yeah it's also not my thing. Gonna fix it though.

@ Coryn will do

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
  • Anyone need a wall of text?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2019, 04:37:42 PM »
If your past-self doesn't make you cringe, then you're doing something wrong.
Painful life lesson there :P

Forgot to post earlier.
Cool experience. Coupled with your other ones you've mentioned before, you seem to be good at coming into contact with people by accident XD

I've wasted a hell of a lot of time seeking approval when I could've just been going along getting stuff done.
Been there done that. Some people's personalities are suited to getting things done without that need to sort of double check that it's right, but others dont want to "waste time" if you think you might be going in the wrong direction, which often means you don't go anywhere if you don't know what direction to go in. That's partly why my request thread died, I started to question the efficiency of my workflow and at that point it just froze up.

I'm just saying I should've focused on my stuff while ignoring the noise.
Yep. It's natural to seek approval, but it can indeed slow you down, in my case it's constantly checking my Youtube or DA "just in case my views have gone up", like it makes seriously no difference but you can't help wanting to check if that art you've posted has got favourited yet etc.

I am my own watcher.
A lot of artists end up creating art to please the crowds, which may or may not be a good thing, but it's good if you can always be your own person when it comes to what you do, to stay original and unique.

I'm going to finish them as a commitment to myself and on the off chance I'll reach one person I will miss if I don't get to work on that.
Two very very good reasons there. Often we forget the small groups of followers for the larger more reachable groups. And self commitment is something you have to have otherwise self doubt starts to creep in. it's good for getting self respect which in turn helps to keep positive on the art front.

Marketing is a completely other thing than Creativity.
Yes. Although I think writing and marketing might have a bit of an overlap, at least more than art does.

I can be ninja, but I don't need to deny my existence.
True true. I noticed that your DA would probably be quite popular if you posted regularly, you have quite a lot of views and watchers. Just a thought.

It's a good idea to make sure your goals are clear, and plan what steps you plan to take towards them, even with a timescale as well. That being said I have no idea what I currently want to do lol.
Art: Illustrations / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other Art | Manga Stories & Projects
Other Stuff: Tutorials / Craft / Cosplay | Feedback & Critique Welcome!

Offline MahluaandMilk

• MagicKal#6370 / Fanservice with Legs
  • Resident Witchipedia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2019, 08:50:43 PM »
Major breakthroughs on all accounts, man. I'm both happy for you and I feel for the struggle you went through to get them. Reminds me of some of the ones I had to have during my little dark phase at the end of last year.

It really is a huge boost to the ego to actually work with people, and I can see how that would be surreal. Marketing is still something I'm trying to learn, but I keep putting it off because I delude myself with "productive procrastination". You don't really learn how to make money until you start actually making change. You may even feel like you understand everything in principle, but the world just shatters the moment concept meets external physicality. That's how it is for me, anyway.

Most of my chapters are 1,000-2,000 words a piece, so if you start doing that crazy 1,000 words a day ish, you'll overtake even Reset in a little less than a couple of months.
Haha signature go brr.

Offline JackOfArtAndProse

• Webcomic writer
  • Looking for a fantasy artist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2019, 05:42:26 AM »
Thank you for the tremendously useful lesson. I got a major revelation out of it. This is why we ought to share our experiences more often - we never know what the guy/girl next to us might actually need in their current situation.

I'll share my own experience: Just a short while ago, I realized that by conducting myself professionally, I could enter the sphere of professional people. I even managed to make professional contacts simply by maintaining high standards and not working with the first artist that came my way(that used to be my Achilles' heel...).<

EDIT: Also, I've found that all big realizations tend to come in similar ways; usually, I'd be struggling with a thing(writing or art or whatever else) for an extended period of time, and then I'd have a realization that changes the way I perceive that thing/discipline. That realization is almost like a "level up", seeing as it allows you to perceive the world from a higher - heh - level.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 06:22:25 AM by JackOfArtAndProse »

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2019, 10:45:52 PM »
That is a great way to put it! I'm no doctor, but I can only guess that it's not too different to how our brains 'rewire' themselves when they learn something new. I can speak from my own experiences with writing. Some days you just wake up and know what you need to do. Somewhere on the unconscious level, your mind was puzzling out the way forward.

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2019, 01:57:47 AM »
Yeah I've had my share of leveling up, mostly it's a sudden realization of something that I always knew, but now I see how it affects my abilities or my art.
Art: Illustrations / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other Art | Manga Stories & Projects

• Webcomic writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2019, 04:15:04 AM »
Yeah, I've found the whole "I wake up one day and know what to do"-thing to be very true. We oftentimes underestimate our unconsciousness and its workings - in fact, I think that less than 50% of our learning is conscious(and I'm HEAVILY overexaggerating towards consciousness here). I think that we need to respect our daily art/writing practice more, since we never know when we finally reach "the day" - and until then, we struggle.

And then we realize that there's even more depth to the discipline... XD

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2019, 05:35:47 AM »
Yep, and that is yet another reason why I advocate getting plenty of sleep, so you can properly process things you have learnt in the day.

• Webcomic writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2019, 07:00:23 PM »
Ain't that the truth.