November 20, 2019, 08:02:04 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Manga Artist  (Read 985 times)

Offline Florence Agnam

• Writer & Artist
  • NANI!!
    • View Profile
Manga Artist
« on: April 27, 2019, 07:24:18 PM »
Hello everyone! My name is Florence and I'm an aspiring Manga artist/writer. My primary strength is sketching and creating characters; their personalities, backstories, and interpersonal connections. I am currently creating my own fantasy world and have a general story laid out, however I am struggling with the details within the story line and am stuck. I came to this forum to possibly find a co-writer as well as aid anyone else who is in need of an artist for character creation. I'm also able to read and edit written pieces of story line if you need assistance. I'm looking forward to meeting all of you and sharing in your enjoyment of Anime/Manga :) I can do different manga art styles and will be posting some samples of my work soon.

Thank you!
- Florence Agnam
If ya ever need help with the creation or development of characters for your story, send me a smoke signal.

I'm more than happy to lend you my help :)

Offline Ryan

• View Profile
Re: Manga Artist
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2019, 07:26:32 PM »
Welcome to the forum Florence!

What are some manga you like? Who do you look up to?

Offline suuper-san

• I have no idea what I am doing XD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2019, 07:33:52 AM »
welcome to the forum. I'm totally bad at giving characters backstories, or even names for that matter.
looking forward to seeing your art!
Art: Manga / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other | Manga Stories: Overdrive / Endlessness
Other: Tutorials / Craft | Feedback & Critique Welcome!!

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2019, 10:27:23 AM »
Welcome to MangaRaiders! Names are often the hardest thing g, so if they come easy to you, that's a great boon! I hope to see you stick around and lend a hand to our community.

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline Florence Agnam

• Writer & Artist
  • NANI!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2019, 04:00:10 PM »
Thanks everyone for the welcome! I have to transfer a lot of my works onto my computer because I'm pretty old school when it comes to sketching. Gimme a pencil and paper over an electronic drawing pad any day. However, I've recently acquired an electronic drawing pad so I've been playing with it and tracing in some of my work so I'm hopefully planning to get some of my work up as soon as possible! If any of you need assistance with fleshing out characters (or creating them) don't hesitate to ask. I'm happy to help :)

As for the Manga/Anime I like, I tend to dabble in everything. Though the majority of what I tend to read are the Fantasy/Supernatural, Action, Adventure genres. It really depends on the story, but I've gotten around to a lot of different manga. If anyone has any suggestions, I'm always ready to experience a new series. As a person who is trying to create their own manga, I'm always reading/watching new things to expand my own ideas. 

My all time favorite series has to be Berserk. Though crude, the artwork is beautifully detailed in almost every panel and once you look past all the gore and R-rated things, the story is just so heart wrenching. I have a ton of other series I love, but if I start listing all of them I think I'd be flagged for spamming xD 
If ya ever need help with the creation or development of characters for your story, send me a smoke signal.

Offline suuper-san

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2019, 05:44:19 PM »
haha well you're not alone in having huge lists of favourite anime/manga.
I'm sort of 50-50 when it comes to pen and paper or digital. With digital something can always go wrong but you have a lot of options and freedom, with paper you're safe but you need the extra effort to get certain effects and whatnot.

regarding creating characters, do you rely on inspiration from books/movies/manga that you have seen for backstory/personality ideas? I think my lack of knowledge makes me weak when it comes to creativity.
Art: Manga / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other | Manga Stories: Overdrive / Endlessness

Offline Florence Agnam

• Writer & Artist
  • NANI!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2019, 02:34:41 PM »
Reading/watching/playing a verity of genres has definitely has broadened my horizons when it comes to developing characters. It’s   interesting to see how the creators of a series make their characters and how complex some can be beneath the surface. There are character types that all fall under some categories and you can see similar traits within character types throughout different genres, (the self-sacrificing hero, the lone wolf, the innocent flower, and etc.). However, there are elements to a character that make them different than the others similar to their personality. Their past and relationships (or lack of) are another key element to how their personality develops.

I’ve always found personalities and psychology fascinating. Though it’s not something I want to pursue as a profession, I still have dabbled in it to get to understand a little of how people think. It’s so interesting how different everyone’s mind set is. 5 people can experience the same exact event all differently. Though I can’t truly understand someone, I always keep my mind open to how others think. Even terrible people. I try to think from their perspective and that helps me with my characters. There are a lot of things I know I would never be able to experience, so reading/watching/playing different things allows me to get a good idea of how someone in that position would react. I don’t know if that makes any sense, but it’s something I find interest in. A friend of mine writes stories too, and I often help him flesh out his characters because I like to think from different angles.

Wow, I should stop before I keep prattling on xD I was going to start writing a ton of tips I use, but I think that would be suited for another post, rather than on my introduction post. While character making is my strength, the biggest thing I struggle with is story writing. I can write a few chapters, and have key piece events down, but putting everything together is a struggle for me. It’s one of the reasons I’ve reached out (beginning with this site), because I’m tired of being stuck with my story >:( I hope to find some assistance, and in turn maybe help someone else in the process.

Offline suuper-san

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2019, 05:03:00 PM »
ahhhh cool. yeah I struggle with evil/angry/moody people or antagonists, for example Bakugo from BnHA because I'm quite reserved myself and it's hard to imagine why someone would start fights or arguments XD it also feels unpleasant when I try and write anything negative happening at all haha.

Tips and Tutorials board is >here< if you fancy posting any tips and stuff!

Offline Florence Agnam

• Writer & Artist
  • NANI!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2019, 06:00:03 PM »
Sweet! I'll post there as soon as I can. They aren't quite tutorials, but methods I use frequently when writing or sketching. Okay, so I've poked around the site a bit but honestly since this is my first time doing anything like this I'm a little nervous and have no clue where to start =_= any other suggestions on where this newbie should start?

Offline Coryn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2019, 06:56:11 PM »
Well, it's pretty straight forward as far as art goes. Depending on your perceived skill level, there is either Manga Gallery or Starter Gallery. If you think you're in a place where you would want a little more help, go to the starter, but if you're confident in where you're at, manga gallery is the way to go.

For writing, it's a similar story, except that you'll be expected to have a single topic per story (as opposed to art, where we want you to have a single gallery where you keep everything). Develop Your Story is for stories that are still in flux/ stories you want input for so you can decide the course it will take. Then there is Manga Creations. This is where you out stories that you have set in your head. They may not have the level od polish you want, but you won't be rewriting chapter 1 five times here.

I hope that helps to get you started! Or course if you start in one place and later decide to move to another, a mod or admin can always help you do that!

Offline Florence Agnam

• Writer & Artist
  • NANI!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2019, 10:58:13 AM »
Alrighty then! I'll check those out x3 This gives me a general ball park of where I can start. I didn't even see the Develop Your Story board so thanks a million, I'll just mosey my way over there and give it a peak.

One last question, so for the Art Gallery thing, you said I should keep all my art in a single gallery (which makes sense, you don't want it all spread out). What if I have, like, a ton of art pieces I want to share. Though I have a primary art style I started to use, my art style is versatile and I want to show the different art styles I've done/can do. Would a single gallery be just a post, or is it done differently? I don't want to end up accidentally making a weird giant post.

Offline Coryn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2019, 09:43:05 PM »
Well, we do have the Comics & Other board if you want to have a place to post your more different pieces, but in general there is no trouble with keeping things together. Check out a few galleries to see how it's done. But it's not like you have to post everything in one go. But you've gotten the gist of things with keeping things central. The most important thing is that people can find you easily, not to curate the perfect gallery. These things are very much living, evolving topics. Don't worry about taming them too much.

Offline Krislalev

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2019, 02:48:23 AM »
Its really nice to meet you Florence! I am Kris. Just joined the forum and I am looking for awesome folks like yourself to engage with. I myself did some writing for a few stories. My main story is not drawn even though its the one i worked on the most but the other three are even uploaded online as a manga as well. I am currently improving my art so that by the end of the year i will have a greater level. Can't what to see what you will show us!!