May 21, 2019, 06:41:01 PM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Reading = Writing ?  (Read 492 times)

Offline Baruden

• Blackens
    • View Profile
Reading = Writing ?
« on: April 04, 2019, 10:15:14 PM »
Good morning citizens,

As usual am lazying around in my writing recently. I already have the major events, characters, small details, background stories and the universe set in my mind, but still not writing. It's not because am not excited about finishing this up, i have been re-tuning this story since as long as i remember and now i got the final plot which makes more excited to write more into it and let the characters "speak to me" into new ideas (Hope this make sense).

So I have been wondering does this slacking of writing i have is because of me not reading books? which makes me impatient with writing? most of my ideas comes from LOAD OF TV series/Movies/Animes/Mangas/Games/Science(Majoring in Geology).

When i write i love to detail everything out which is tiring, most of my beta readers are people around me and i come from a culture where English is a second language and reading is not our strong suit, which makes me try to write less details and get straight to the points when i share with them, to get them into reading and give me a feedback on the "Story" not the writing.

Tell me what do you think? does not reading much effecting me slacking to write? keep in mind i already work from 8AM to 5-6PM and sadly writing in a hobby for me...sadly.

P.S: Am a bit of a Game-addict specially to online gaming (Non-stop life) and Watching TV series is my bedtime stories.  :sheep:

Offline suuper-san

• I have no idea what I am doing XD
    • View Profile
Re: Reading = Writing ?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2019, 07:30:44 AM »
I find I get inspired to draw when I see good artworks or read manga, and often I take influence from what I was just reading as I sketch. So for me it's a good thing to have a bit of input from elsewhere to keep me sharp and inspired.
I imagine writing and reading is a similar thing, although I'm not a writer so I can't say.
Art: Manga / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other | Manga Stories: Overdrive / Endlessness
Other: Tutorials / Craft | Feedback & Critique Welcome!!

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2019, 07:45:26 AM »
It might be fair to say that reading equals research.

I write prose myself, so I'm always reading novels. Not only am I taking in ideas from other good authors, but I'm picking up on grammar, spelling, new words, sentence structure, formatting, etc. So many of the questions you have about writing can be answered by just reading with an eye on learning.

Books also tell different stories from tv and video games. It is a different medium after all, and you can't tell the same story the same way between three different mediums. If you tried to, you would be ignoring the potential they each uniquely have.

I guess what I'm getting at is: read more books! If you're not writing a video game or a TV show, then don't look to them as your main source of inspiration! Study your medium. A painter doesn't watch a sculpture all day after all.

And frankly, books have a better effect on your human brain. They're more in line with what it knows evolutionarily (ie. No screen) It's a seemingly simple yet beautifully complex piece of technology. It will give your eyes a rest and let you relax in a way games won't.

And believe me, I love me some video games. But you really should learn to step back when you can. As with all things: Everything in moderation.

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline KeanFox

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2019, 04:39:29 PM »
Does this apply to audiobooks? Or you think it has to be a paper book in hand to get the book reading experience.

Offline Coryn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2019, 08:24:29 AM »
Both are useful for deliving into plot and writing frameworks, but you really need the visual aspect of a book to help with the grammar, spelling, formatting, etc part of it. You can't glean these things from thin air as it were.

Offline suuper-san

• I have no idea what I am doing XD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2019, 10:07:30 AM »
the written form is certainly helpful for spelling, grammar, layout and so on, but audio books are also a good way to boost your knowledge of words and sayings etc. It also depends on if you are a visual/audio learner as to how much you pick up.
Art: Manga / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other | Manga Stories: Overdrive / Endlessness
Other: Tutorials / Craft | Feedback & Critique Welcome!!

Offline Baruden

• Blackens
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2019, 09:57:46 PM »

Grammers, Sentences and wording. when it comes to those let's say i always have this fantasy that i will the magic wand called an "editor" where he'll fix all of those for me if needed.

I do listen to audio-books all the time but mostly are bio-biographies and lately i've been listening to Percy Jackson as well. Still cannot help me visualize the sentences like a real book (I read 3 books of Percy Jackson and now listening to the rest).

But we're talking about they useful resources from books, am struggling with when i write i tend to go straight to the point i wanna skip details but at the same time i wanna write them up.  :sadbye:

Offline Coryn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2019, 07:50:55 AM »
Editors don't come cheap or easy I'm afraid. And they aren't really there to fix grammar and spelling besides. You'll need competency in those realms if you want to get an editor in the first place. So don't ignore your own editor role!

If you can, you can always listen to an audio book while having the physical book at hand. That way you'll still progress at the same rate as the audio, but I could free up your mind to study the physical words some. Just something to try.

Offline DeAngelus

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2019, 12:26:54 PM »
Good morning citizens,

As usual am lazying around in my writing recently. I already have the major events, characters, small details, background stories and the universe set in my mind, but still not writing. It's not because am not excited about finishing this up, i have been re-tuning this story since as long as i remember and now i got the final plot which makes more excited to write more into it and let the characters "speak to me" into new ideas (Hope this make sense).

So I have been wondering does this slacking of writing i have is because of me not reading books? which makes me impatient with writing? most of my ideas comes from LOAD OF TV series/Movies/Animes/Mangas/Games/Science(Majoring in Geology).
Yes and no. Too little reading (or researching), and you'll wound up against blocks constantly. Too much reading, then you're probably channeling your passion in the wrong area and that you're better being a bookworm as opposed to being (currently) a writer.

Find the right balance and priority. My advice is to take a breather, recollect your bearings and then... resume writing.

When i write i love to detail everything out which is tiring, most of my beta readers are people around me and i come from a culture where English is a second language and reading is not our strong suit, which makes me try to write less details and get straight to the points when i share with them, to get them into reading and give me a feedback on the "Story" not the writing.

Tell me what do you think? does not reading much effecting me slacking to write? keep in mind i already work from 8AM to 5-6PM and sadly writing in a hobby for me...sadly.
You could write them in the language they can read if you need their feedback on the story part. As for the spelling and grammar of your English, we can help, if we had that time (we had day jobs as well). Look around and ask for one. Otherwise, polish on your English better.

Since this is a hobby for you, best take your time instead of stressing too much about it.
PM me if you wanted a critique. It takes time for one to come to you, so please be patient.

If you wanted it to be public or private, do tell me.

Offline Baruden

• Blackens
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2019, 11:36:49 PM »
Editors don't come cheap or easy I'm afraid. And they aren't really there to fix grammar and spelling besides. You'll need competency in those realms if you want to get an editor in the first place. So don't ignore your own editor role!

If you can, you can always listen to an audio book while having the physical book at hand. That way you'll still progress at the same rate as the audio, but I could free up your mind to study the physical words some. Just something to try.

Audiobook for me = my way to work/ my way back from work. so mostly am walking/driving :x

Yes and no. Too little reading (or researching), and you'll wound up against blocks constantly. Too much reading, then you're probably channeling your passion in the wrong area and that you're better being a bookworm as opposed to being (currently) a writer.

Find the right balance and priority. My advice is to take a breather, recollect your bearings and then... resume writing.

Material wise, am not finding issues. But when i write i think like "This time am using now i could play few rounds of this game or finish this game or maybe i can watch this and that!"  :ohmy:.

But you are right i need to recollect my bearings and pull out my head out of my a$$.

You could write them in the language they can read if you need their feedback on the story part. As for the spelling and grammar of your English, we can help, if we had that time (we had day jobs as well). Look around and ask for one. Otherwise, polish on your English better.

Since this is a hobby for you, best take your time instead of stressing too much about it.

It's not the language barrier for them, it's the length of the writing. it's too long and detailed for them.  :noidea:

Offline MahluaandMilk

• Queen of Lurking Losers / Ms. Fanservice
  • Resident Witchipedia
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2019, 09:20:28 PM »
I'm going into English education here in the United States (whenever I get confirmation from my University that I have been readmitted anyway) so I am familiar with all sorts of readers, from non-readers to people who find reading to be a hassle to people who love reading.

But, if there's anything my three and a half useless years at uni has taught me, it's that reading and writing go hand in hand. However: while you can write a book like you'd talk, it wouldn't sell. They're different dialects of English. Some dialects are harder for people to understand given their native dialect or the dialect they prefer to use. For example, being where I'm from, a thick Southern dialect is common, and I can understand people who speak with it just fine. But, someone from another region would have immense trouble figuring out what my grandmother is saying, and if I dared try to talk to my mother like this post is written, she would say that college has made me arrogant and that I'm talking down to her.

All that to say that writing prose is its own dialect, and if you want to gear your audience, the dialect gets more specific. The best way to learn that dialect is to immerse yourself in it. Notice the difference between when your buddy is telling you a story and when you read a novel. The difference can be immense. I think that's what you're noticing now.

Offline Coryn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2019, 10:16:43 PM »
There is of course a time for dialects to shine through. Mainly in dialogue, but they are a tool. A specialized tool to be sure, but still a tool for when the moment calls for them. There is something to be said for choosing a narrative voice where you can drop the sophistication and just narrate plainly for a moment.

Offline Baruden

• Blackens
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2019, 01:14:09 AM »
Now a new point is risen, if the story narrated by the "Protagonist" for example here where we can use dialect of that protagonist through the story telling just as Coryn said since it's basically a dialogue from the Protagonist to us. However, if the story is told be a 3rd party it would have to be proper English as @MahluaandMilk stated. But am not facing an issue there.

It's not having the "urge" to write usually i used to have it, but now since i started to count time i prefer doing other things but that really killing me inside. That why my question is does not getting used to reading in my early days is effecting me in writing now since i believe that i would rather play ranked games than writing?

Offline MahluaandMilk

• Queen of Lurking Losers / Ms. Fanservice
  • Resident Witchipedia
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2019, 01:41:14 PM »
Depending on how much the protagonist's dialect differs from the standard English dialect of literature, even in a first person perspective novel, it could still be detrimental to the audience.

I'm not sure I understand fully what your question is, but I can say that heavy research suggests that a greater familiarity with books often correlates to a better understanding of how to write well. That can't really do much as far as your motivation goes. If you would rather play video games than write, there's nothing wrong with playing video games. Unless, of course, you were a paid professional with a deadline. That might be a little problematic. But if writing is a hobby, there's not really a need to force it.

If you want to start writing again despite this hesitation you seem to be experiencing, it doesn't really matter if you read books all the time or not. Books can only help as another path to ideas if you so choose it to be. All that's really required is to sit down and write. I often get ideas for my writing through video games or tv shows or manga or film--not always books as one would commonly think of them.

I hope that clears up and expands upon my previous response in a way that's a little more helpful to you.

Offline Coryn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2019, 02:52:39 PM »
I'm somewhat of an opposite example, but it's a similar tact. Personally I find that taking in other story telling media while I'm trying to think of writing ideas is detrimental. If I really want to get the juices flowing, I gave to disconnect myself. Cut away anything that could be distracting you in the moment, and just let your mind wander where it will.

My suggestion if you feel the same way, would be to just go out for a long walk. I usually listen to music as I go, but the important thing is that I'm not thinking purposefully. I just empty my head out and see what comes in. Just the physical distance from whatever else it is that's drawing your attention is often enough to keep you from falling right back into it. It's always harder to start than to stop after all.