March 29, 2024, 06:07:40 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: How do you go about looking for writers?  (Read 4729 times)

Offline stardustpink

• View Profile
How do you go about looking for writers?
« on: June 20, 2019, 06:24:19 AM »
I've seen a lot of posts all over for writers looking for artists... What about artists looking for writers? Seriously. I have lots of ideas but Im a better artist than writer(its like beating my head against a wall). How does one look for a writer?

I'd loe to do more work on Araminta or get any other things off the ground. I managed to get in contact with two writers but there both off the clock, could be for a very long time.

A lot of my ideas have diffrent genres so, I guess its a question also of looking who can do certain subjects. One person can do fantasy, another sci fi, mayby both, etc etc?

What am I looking for... Well I guess someone relatively fast(good work does take time), people willing to go over outlines, help with detials and edit. I like to do fanstuff too and remix, sometimes I use mainstream characters in my work(I just want to create for fun. if I could I would just write myself, but I cant). So I guess someone who's okay with doing fanfiction, crossovers and using others characters, preferably wanting to remain anonymous(ghosting). I've found a few writers prefer keeping there nmames out of fanfiction and this works for me. This is partly why I release my work for free, I dont want to be worrying I just want to draw and have fun. I imagine some charge extra for remaning anon but if its reasonable that seems fair. Times Ive gotten a drawing commisoned I've prefered to remain anon myself

Sometimes I even just wants stories done for personal pleasure, to read. Fanon canon original whatever. I like to use my own characters and often mix them with other peoples.

I dont know too much else what to ask for, like prices and what have you. I had oen guy who charged a cent a word and worked VERY quickly when he had the time. But, everyones diffrent. Mayby someone could be even faster and equally skilled but cost more. Some mayby cant do *censored* yet charge like they piss gold :P This is a very new area for me but one I havta start looking into because I cant get any work done.

Where do you look for a writer? Does anyone have any ideas? If I dont have a story I cant draw a comic
« Last Edit: June 20, 2019, 06:33:30 AM by stardustpink »

Offline PichuDX

• View Profile
Re: How do you go about looking for writers?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2019, 07:32:45 AM »
Sent a msg, I'm interested in working with you for sure! ^-^

Offline DeAngelus

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2019, 10:21:36 AM »
I've seen a lot of posts all over for writers looking for artists... What about artists looking for writers? Seriously. I have lots of ideas but Im a better artist than writer(its like beating my head against a wall). How does one look for a writer?
The main reason why artist seeking a writer is much less common because most artists in general are also storytellers themselves to an acceptable level. However when they're in need of a writer, they'd do what a writer would when they need an artist - you look for sites that are populated with writers and if they had a hiring board, use it to get one.

Smackjeeves would probably the place to go to for starter.

I'd loe to do more work on Araminta or get any other things off the ground. I managed to get in contact with two writers but there both off the clock, could be for a very long time.
Time is money. If they do not respond and/or get the project started/going within a month at most, drop it and seek out another writer. Artists in particular had more leeway in doing so due to the abundant of writers looking for people like you.
PM me if you wanted a critique. It takes time for one to come to you, so please be patient.

If you wanted it to be public or private, do tell me.

Offline Operative13

• Self-Proclaimed Writer and Anime Enthusiast
  • Writer of Caesarea
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2019, 01:27:41 PM »
Depends on what you're looking for. If you have no coin to spare, then you make do with what you have. Just as writers have to pay for artwork to be done professionally, so too is the opposite.

My personal advice is that if you're truly serious with working on such project, especially in the long term, then it can be worth your while to come up with a budget and work your project accordingly with the right help and advice.

Otherwise, if it is a more casual, short term project, then you're better off grabbing whoever is willing to help for free, as at that point, you're seeking more to further your skills than you are trying to sustain a lifestyle. Two different things, I might add.

MR would be more fitting for the latter scenario. It's best to plot out a schedule if you're going for the free option as people tend to not stick around and ghost when they have no real obligation.

That being said, I am a writer myself, albeit in hobby only. If you need any help, I can always assist, and can direct you to other writers that might suit your preferences if you so choose.
“To give of oneself is the noblest of all acts.”

Twitter: https://twitter.com/Ope1ativ3
Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/OPHolden

Offline stardustpink

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2019, 02:16:59 PM »
Depends on what you're looking for. If you have no coin to spare, then you make do with what you have. Just as writers have to pay for artwork to be done professionally, so too is the opposite.

My personal advice is that if you're truly serious with working on such project, especially in the long term, then it can be worth your while to come up with a budget and work your project accordingly with the right help and advice.

Otherwise, if it is a more casual, short term project, then you're better off grabbing whoever is willing to help for free, as at that point, you're seeking more to further your skills than you are trying to sustain a lifestyle. Two different things, I might add.

MR would be more fitting for the latter scenario. It's best to plot out a schedule if you're going for the free option as people tend to not stick around and ghost when they have no real obligation.

That being said, I am a writer myself, albeit in hobby only. If you need any help, I can always assist, and can direct you to other writers that might suit your preferences if you so choose.

I wanna try my hardest at this and Im not gonna be one of those assholes who expect people to do work for nothing, on the promise that it "will make money". Im willing to pay for good work, but I wonder whats fair and whats tamking liberties. This is why I get funds on patreon and I have saved up a fair bit. One person I used worked for a cent a word. Cost me 70 dollars for a very well written peice. I'd guess, my budget would be mayby 100-200 dollars a story/chapter? I guess you havta figrue out whats reasonable and whats blowing it. If asking for the writer to remain anon too(some charge extra for this which seems fair). The way i see it its like gettign a drawing commision. You treat the person with respect and whats fair, dont act like they owe you anything.

Perosnally Im happy witht he cent for a word thing but, everyone works different and has those own prices? So I figure I havta be flexible. Main thing is getting it done and done well

Sometimes I feel like giving up on art but everyone feels like that? And liek i said I dont want the ideas to stay in my head I want to share them with people.

Is it worth looking on sites like Fiver,Upwork? Where do actually go for work? People sometimes look on things like deviantart, discord, and forums like this of course, but who as you say is more likely to wanna do the job? if your getting payed for it I suppose some would, while others you say would just dissapear. And some people offer really great work. The bang is worth the buck? I need someone I spose I cna more or less depend on as opposed to doing ti for fun(whether its a need for money or flex there writing muscle). People seem more liekly to do something if they get payed, but some have been very dissapionting(Ive had this with inkers too mind, its trial and error.)
« Last Edit: June 20, 2019, 02:22:05 PM by stardustpink »

Offline Operative13

• Writer of Caesarea
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2019, 02:55:09 PM »
Personally, I'm not a fan of the cent-per-word type fees. Such things are more for smaller workers with word constraints such as newsletters, articles, etc. and not big stories, and that's simply because the need for "less-is-more" material requires much more skilled writers. Most freelance writers charge for flat or on a timely-basis for frequent work.

https://www.clearvoice.com/blog/how-much-to-pay-a-freelance-writer/
https://www.thebalancesmb.com/freelance-writer-fees-how-much-should-i-charge-1360345

Because the work you are looking for involves a long term project with lots of writing, I would highly advise against any cent-per-word work anyone might be charging you as it is not appropriate for the type of work you are looking for. A fixed rate per project or hourly rate would be more reasonable, with the added benefit of not having to scrutinize the work for any filler writing that may cost you extra with the per-word service. And it does add up.

But again, I do have to stress priorities here. Are you pursuing this project as a career or to improve your skills? Hiring a professional writer (or ghostwriter) can cost quite a bit of money. Freelance writers on average earn almost $80,000 a year.  That's around $6,700 a month. You'd be supplementing part of, if not all, of that money to have a professionally-done written piece for you. And keep in mind that the story they've written is essentially only half of it. The other half is you providing the artwork. Even serious artists living off their own work will have trouble paying for someone else to write their own stories.

$100 is a lot. And personally I don't chuck that kind of money around unless I'm willing to commit more in the future. However if you believe getting a well-written story is worth it, then by all means go for it. I will suggest a cheaper alternative, and that is to get a rough draft of a story and have it peer reviewed instead. It is far cheaper to make your own and save money on edits than it is to sketch out a story from nothing.

Offline stardustpink

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2019, 03:11:02 PM »
Career I guess. I love to draw however frustrating it is. Its not just one project its many and, a lot of projects seem to have a lot of people workign on them. It would seem easier to find people to work with now than before internet times certainly. My guess is I would have to go with freelance writers but the do seem willing to go anon a few of them. Huh, I didnet realise 100 was a lot if Im gonna be honest? Again, workers all have diffrent costs. I got a really amazing drawing commision for 100 dollars for exampel and it took only 5 days, coloured inked and shaded.

A fixed rate is better huh? Hmm...

This oen guy who did cent for word did a really amazing job, while one person who did a fixed price? They gave me an example, thats why i choose them... The result was nothing like the example, it was stiff crap. I got very mislead there I'd sya this was a example of getting conned(albiet a very small manner)

Seems a toss up.

Another fnny thing about today is I see a lot of comics that not only have diffrent writers, but diffrent artsists? They dotn always use the same one for an entire series. The recent IDW "Jem and the Holograms" comic for example.

Im probabaly gonna hvata work with freelancers. They seem to do pretty well whther art or writing, its just a question of finding someone reliable and trustworthy I suppose. And your gonna run into those who cant deliver.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2019, 03:13:15 PM by stardustpink »

Offline Operative13

• Writer of Caesarea
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2019, 03:19:06 PM »
Just a word of caution when you do. Always ask for samples of their previous work and do some research on your end about the person you're working with. And always try to avoid paying anything upfront if you can until there is something concrete. The Art world is not a regular market with your usual supply-and-demand. People either like the work or they don't. It is a very niche community, and few ever are actually of acceptable, if not professional, quality. Beware of scammers and plagiarists.

Offline stardustpink

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2019, 03:22:17 PM »
I will bear that in mind, thanks sweetheart. I try to play things straight up myself. I dunno really what im doing but, Im trying. I fifured I wasent getting anywhere and its somethign I had to do, so got off my butt. Its not much of a step forward but, I gotta start somewhere ^^' Nothing will change otherwise. If Im gonna worry anyway I may aswell try and use that nervous energy

Offline Operative13

• Writer of Caesarea
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2019, 03:32:57 PM »
Best of luck. And don't forget, you always have us at MR to help you out.  ;D

Offline stardustpink

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2019, 02:54:08 PM »
Thanks ^^ For what its worth I've tried Fiver, and, wow. Im a little suprised at the feedback. Im gonna be careful though as you said. Some, seem good, others kinda flaky. Either way I should probabaly discuss it thoroughly and mayby ask for a little example too. Hopefully I'll find a good fit.

I may try other sites like Twitter, DA, Tumblr, Upwork, whatever. Mayby, I'll find someone people who would like to be part of it. I have already just, a quetsion of time and personal life which is fair enough. I figure keep an open net but be careful. Havta try
« Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 03:14:47 PM by stardustpink »