October 14, 2019, 04:00:16 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Learn to draw or partner up?  (Read 1931 times)

Offline calibur

• View Profile
Learn to draw or partner up?
« on: January 31, 2019, 09:46:40 PM »
So lately I've been trying to decide whether or not I should learn to draw or try and find a partner, if I learnt to draw It'd probably be a couple years before I'm at the point where I can make my stories, and I'd love to be able to put whats in my head to page.
If I partnered up, in the couple years it'd take me to learn to draw, we could be well into a story, and it would be nice to have someone to give opinions and help bring it to life, but it would also be harder to convey what stuff should be like and may be a while before I find someone who wants to work with me.
If i got a partner I'd probably try drawing characters and such myself as a reference for them but it'd be very rough and basic, I may get better the more I do, but I just don't know what direction I should be working for?

Offline Vacant

• View Profile
Re: Learn to draw or partner up?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2019, 11:10:59 PM »
I'd always encourage anyone with an interest in making manga to try both the drawing and writing themselves, you may find you have a natural talent for art, or it may improve your writing by being able to better visualise what you want to express in word form.

The big thing for me is the enjoyment of it all. You may already know if you like the actual act of drawing or not. If you find it a chore and something you don't take pleasure in then I'd keep up with the writing. There's nothing wrong with that, it's just a preference you may have.

But if your main concern is the time frame on how long it would take to get to a decent standard, don't sweat it. 2-3 years go by very quickly and this also gives you time to fully flesh out and further develop your story.

To be blunt, the likelihood of finding a professional quality artist who is willing to work for a stranger for free on a story that isn't their own is low. So it never hurts to up your own artistic skills as another option, if you're deadset on making it a manga/comic.

That's not to say dont stop trying to find an artist, it can and has happened on here multiple times,  just wanted  to give you a heads up. Good luck with your story and your endeavours on here  :thumbsup:

Offline runawayfantasy

• Friendly Neighborhood Starving Artist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2019, 11:24:17 PM »
In my Comic Illustration and Writing class, we were told that learning to draw if you wanted to be a writer for a comic wasn't something you needed, but it was something that would be VERY useful to everyone involved.
You don't need a very detailed and complex style, but understanding how comics are laid out and how you want it to look is important, such as thumbnails which take like the LEAST amount of skill heh
Also having some kind of reference for your characters would be great to have for an artist working on your comic, but you don't actually need to be the artist for these references either, you can commission an artist to do your references and work closely with them for it to get to the point your happy with. That way, everything is out of the way.

Overall though, its all just personal preference, deciding to go solo on a comic or working with others, they def have their own pros and cons.
Hope everything works out!
Local Starving Artist Looking for Work!
Commission Sheet:
https://bit.ly/2Gu6TYj

Offline suuper-san

• I have no idea what I am doing XD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2019, 04:59:00 AM »
Even if you have an artist partner, it can't hurt to have an extra skill, especially as you can sketch out what you want for your artist, you'll be able to help them to draw exactly what you want. Understanding what the artist has to deal with can help you to be realistic in the output you expect from them as well as understanding the problems/mistakes that will happen too.
But yeah solid dependable partnerships are hard to come by with projects that are basically a hobby level.
Art: Manga / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other | Manga Stories: Overdrive / Endlessness
Other: Tutorials / Craft | Feedback & Critique Welcome!!

Offline AldrichCrescent

• Mad Genius
  • I'm a Genius!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2019, 07:03:28 AM »
Tho.. if you want to make yer own manga... you don't need to have pro art skills as long as you do a very good job at storytelling. Just like what ONE did with his work. Later on... someone with better skills might get interested in yer story and pick up the artwork.

Offline suuper-san

• I have no idea what I am doing XD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2019, 07:43:16 AM »
True, and conversely you might be an awesome artist but have a really bad story, and you won't get anywhere. Definitely better to have a good solid story.
Art: Manga / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other | Manga Stories: Overdrive / Endlessness
Other: Tutorials / Craft | Feedback & Critique Welcome!!

Offline calibur

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2019, 07:25:24 PM »
I see, well definitely a lot to think about here, i guess what i'll do is draw my characters myself even though they may not be best so that artist have something to reference and then hope as i go, i'll get better, but yeah not sure about my writing capabilities but i definitely have plenty of ideas, and i understand that a professional partner wont magically work for free, so if i made a request i'd add that they don't have to be best as long as they are willing to work to be better along side me, so that by time we're ready to do first chapter hopefully we're both happy with where we're at, in both writing and art.
I also would love to do this for living, either published (though i know it's ridiculously hard too) or something like patreon but that'd be a while before we're at that point though.
I will probably make a request soon, and list a whole bunch of stuff, but I need 25 posts and 2 weeks first? also if i have a few stories I'd like to work on but would like to discuss which with the artist themselves, do i need to post a story first as long as I let them know thats the case before hand?
Also thank you for your advice :)

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2019, 08:59:53 AM »
As the others have mentioned, it's "both". Even if you aren't looking for a professional level artist, it can take time to find any artist. Might as well fill the time in between with learning a useful skill!

The 25 posts and two weeks thing is for links. If you want to post a story, just drop it in a new topic as text! Just like how the rest of us do.

For your second question there: Always, always post your stories! It's fine if you're only wanting to concentrate on one, but it's important to give a little of yourself up front. An artist likes to see that a writer is open and proud enough of their work to post it without being coerced to. When you see someone fishing for an artist, but will refuse to post their story openly for people to see, it just makes them come off as stingy, and frankly, kinda an asshole.

More likely too, it probably means they are both stuck up and/or secretly a bad writer but refusing to see it. And I get it, we've all been there. We think that we're the new hot shot that's going to make it big as this untapped natural talent, and everything we put to paper is gold, but it's not is it? We can't be conceited and let ourselves think that. I say these people are generally secretly bad writers, because they've clearly never let anyone give them critiques in their life.

You can't learn in a bubble. You gotta rely on the help of others.

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline calibur

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2019, 08:06:38 PM »
I see, well I have a basic wacom tablet so I suppose I'll practice when I can, and it's not that I'm not proud of my stories or that I'm stingy or think I'm a hot shot, it's just I've never used a site like this before and I'm just hesitant because I wasn't sure if people would steal them and I've never written a manga before so honestly even though I'm happy with my ideas, I just don't know if they'd be any good when I actually try to write them.
I have looked around and the people here seem pretty good with that though and have said that in the years they've been here no one has taken their stories, so I guess I could put something up. I just don't know what because I have a lot I'd want to do and well don't know how it would work if they're meant to be a long multi-chapter story.
So I don't know if I should just post a couple of chapter ones to show people the type of stories I have and then after finding an artist choose one to continue or what.
I'll try writing one and see how it looks, just gotta pick one and get everything in order.

Offline Coryn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2019, 01:04:49 AM »
Well yeah, I can assure you you aren't in danger of being stolen from. Even if someone tried, they can't recreate your essence that blew life into a project to begin with. The thief will inevitably crash and burn.

For the rest, well, that is just something you have to learn to feel in your heart. It's not easy, but it is always worth it. I fully understand having the stories come so quickly. But there comes a time when you must sit down and say "I am in charge of his show, and I will make this one thing happen for the sake of everything else I want to do."

After all,. none of us can do it all.

Offline KeanFox

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2019, 01:07:47 PM »
Artists or writers, it's not easy finding a partner. I tried offering writers to draw their story for free. The majority get excited at first then disappears three weeks later.
Or they will be strongly against writing anything. Saying things like. Writing the story is not important. I have the story written all in my head, I'll tell you and you just draw it. Let's just wing it. The main character doesn't need a backstory, it doesn't matter. I heard it from multiple writers, I thought I must be doing it wrong.
Thankfully I learned from a prevues collab (that lasted three years) that if we don't plan and just wing it we are just two headless chickens running around and nothing get made.

In theory, collab sounds great. Finding the right person etc Don't want to repeat what everyone said.

Now I'm collaborating on a project with a family member. It's my first collaboration outside the net. It's going nice but sometimes it's hard finding the time to meet and work on things. So yea, collab comes with its own set of problems. Weight it against what you getting it from it. I made a couple of friends from it

Making comics/manga is a lot of work and not a lot of money in it. You gotta have a love and passion to do it.
You decided to practice and look for an artist. Great. Whatever you feel right for you. Go out there and mingle.

Offline calibur

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2019, 06:51:53 PM »
Yeah, I understand that it'll be tough but I've never really been able to get excited about doing anything for the future  like a job but with this I can, but I tried writing some for the first time, and instead of being all in my head and saying should it be this version or this, i just went with what was in my head at the time and found it to be quite enjoyable, obviously if it came to adapting to a manga it would probably change quite a bit, but it's a start, and I'm not ready to post it yet, I'll probably try it with a few ideas get a feel for it first.
But I do understand the importance in planning especially if it's a long term project which is what i want, so I'll at sometime put a request up and practice while I wait.
Would it be better, to post rough first chapters, one shots or would it be fine to post a summary of the world, its setting, main character etc to show what i'd be working with?
and thanks again for the advice, it's definitely helping :) I feel as though I'm finally making headway.

Offline Coryn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2019, 10:22:31 PM »
Always post rough chapters. Summaries are good for the backs of books and not much else. They can't convey your actual writing. They can't inform people about your style or your skill. Plus, posting the rough chapters will help build confidence, and make you think more critically about how you are actually presenting the story. There can't be any shortcuts when you're doing it that way after all.

Offline Aimyraude

• heya :3
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2019, 10:55:51 PM »
Being a writer who can illustrate at least how he see his story is pretty good. Even if your drawings are really bad at first you will get better as you draw. Waiting for a good artist to partner with you is never a solution by itself it may happen but its pretty rare they stay all along the project unless money is involved. You better start doing it by yourself and still search for partner than just stand still until someone notice you and partner with you.

Offline calibur

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2019, 08:13:48 PM »
Yeah, I'll probably post request and then once I've gotten my chapter ready post it, I may include breif summary as well just to let people know stuff about story that wont be shown in first chapters, though because they're meant to manga I've mostly just done dialogue and no descriptions but at the moment just trying find what style is right for me.