February 21, 2019, 06:40:42 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Any tutorials for Clip Studio Art?  (Read 300 times)

Offline Rustee

• View Profile
Any tutorials for Clip Studio Art?
« on: January 21, 2019, 11:04:37 AM »
I was wondering if anyone has recommendations for tutorials, tips, and tricks for Studio Clip art?  I am new to the program and having difficulty learning it.  Hoping someone can recommend youtube videos and ects.  Also, what are your thoughts?  Do you like the program or is there others I should look into, pro's/con's?  I would love your thoughts and feedback!
It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop. – Confucius

Offline Aimyraude

• heya :3
    • View Profile
Re: Any tutorials for Clip Studio Art?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2019, 12:30:54 PM »
I only draw with clip studio paint its a very good program.
The pro's:
-you can download many assets in the asset community where you can find awesome brushes and material which can help you work faster.
-You can use 3d models to help you drawing some people love to use it as a base
-The pencils,brushes,aerograph and everything else feels natural to me
-The color process is pretty much like sai blending colors is great unlike photoshop and corel
-theres the vector layers which really help reduce time on lineart
And so many more

Cons:
The 3d is hard to manipulate its not really adapted
The interface is not so beginner user friendly
THE FILTERS now that's really sad there is not even the basic ones i would find in photoshop they definitely could improve that
this is a very general tutorial to show the tools:     https://www.clipstudio.net/en/promotion/trial_tour/

The tips section is definitely useful too try it:    https://tips.clip-studio.com/en-us/official

Offline Rustee

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2019, 06:35:55 PM »
Yeah, a con to that program is not user friendly, but i like what it has to offer.  I'll check out those links!  Thank you for your feedback!

Offline canaggable

• Fish in the Night
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2019, 11:58:56 PM »
I agree with everything Aimyraude said; he worded it very concisely and fairly.

When I first started using Clip a year or so ago, this is the video I skimmed watched to get a better understanding as there is a lot to unpack with the program: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xhvr1JUEwdo&t=1530s
(the youtuber does talk fairly slowly so you can probably speed the video up as it is fairly lengthy :))

As for usage, the main issue I have with Clip is the fact that I don't have a great computer, but love working with fairly big canvases. Which, unfortunately for me, means lag. It doesn't lag when I'm using the smaller brushes for sketching/lineart, but when it comes to blending? HOO BOI. It's a nightmare. But that isn't a problem for everyone, depending on computer specs/preferred canvas size. Also some tools are less laggy than others.

But other than that, I really think it's a superb program for all types of art from sketching to anime to realism. There is a lot and the interface certainly has a lot of different icons and options scattered about that don't make much sense at first and looks pretty cluttered, so it certainly will take time to get used to.

As for other programs, I would always say look into other programs. Different people want/need different things. Don't lock yourself into one program. Different programs bring different things to the table. :)

Some other programs that I would recommend checking out:
1) Paint Tool Sai (~50$)
     -It's a tried and true classic; much more "bare" than Clip to be sure, but constantly undergoing development and improvements. If you're looking at Clip and seeing all of the different tools and are overwhelmed (or don't think you'll use even a quarter of all the tools Clips offers), I'd definitely recommend checking out Sai.
 The only real con to Sai is that it can be a pain to install custom brushes, if that's what floats your boat. You have to go install the custom textures, then go change a config file to read those custom textures, and then go "assemble" the brush in the program yourself. And if you move computers or have to reinstall Sai? You can bring the texture files/config file along with you, but you still have to go assemble your brushes in the program again no matter what. It's not a terribly complicated process after you've done it once, but it is tedious.

2) Krita (free)
     -I've only messed around in Krita once or twice, so I can't say a whole lot about it. It seemed pretty decent though, for a free program. I did find the user interface to be a bit... hard to understand? It didn't make a whole lot of sense, even though it had maybe a fourth of the tools from Clip. There is also a mobile version if you're into drawing on your phone. I believe I had a bit of a hard time understanding how to change the blending abilities of the brushes, but I can't quite remember (I'm addicted to Sai and Clip, haha).
 I have seen amazing art come from Krita! Here's a video an amazing artist made explaining her brushes in Krita: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nhqtm_NPSE0

3) Gimp (free)
     -I use Gimp for some editing purposes as it's considered to be the free version of Photoshop (having not used a whole lot of Photoshop, I don't feel like I can voice my thoughts on that, but it gets me where I want).
 I will say I have never fully tried to actually draw in Gimp, as I came across some issues even attempting that while editing. I couldn't get the eraser to function properly for me. Gimp does have a wide variety of brushes and brush opportunities like Clip, and since it's a free open-source program, there are plenty of add-ons and plugins you can install to give you what you want (such as more filters).

4)Fire Alpaca (free)
     -I've never used Fire Alpaca; never quite fit my aesthetic or preferences. But I see a lot of people recommending it as a free program, so if money is an issue for you, I'd say give it a shot. No harm no foul.

Good luck on your journey.  :D

Offline Rustee

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2019, 03:00:58 PM »
Thank you for the recommendations canaggable!  This is great!

Offline Aimyraude

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2019, 11:44:38 AM »
I'm a girlllllllllll :'(

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2019, 09:01:07 AM »
It was likely just a typo there Aimy. Canaggable can see your gender setting, and it is just a single letter off. Easy mistake. So don't get stressed by it!

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline Aimyraude

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2019, 01:40:47 PM »
oh i wasnt offended :) just a precision