April 22, 2019, 03:11:27 PM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Attempts at hair and body work  (Read 1434 times)

Offline Rustee

• View Profile
Re: Attempts at hair and body work
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2019, 11:05:37 PM »
Update:  I've been working on head and hair style, I'm pretty happy with how she looks, and I took advice about the necks being too small for their head, so hopefully her neck is a good size for her head, I personally like how it looks, and I appreciate the tips!  Next, I was wanting to add a body to her........... the struggle is REAL, I am having the worse time figuring out portion size and how to angle it properly.  The frustration ughh, any suggestions?  Feel free to use my image to draw over for any pointers and recommendations!

It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop. – Confucius

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2019, 12:59:57 AM »
As always, real human beings are the best subject to learn anatomy and proportion from. Look for free stock image websites. They have tons of useful imagery for this kind of thing. And never be afraid to look into less, erm..., conservative corners to find nudes to use as reference. The human body is a complicated machine, and you'd be fooling yourself if you think you can learn it all from a fully clothed subject.

Doctors don't learn how to do surgery on a fully clothed patient. In the same way, an artist should not learn to draw the hand figure without first understanding them as they are without the aquired coverings we insist upon as civilized peoples.

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline suuper-san

• I have no idea what I am doing XD
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2019, 10:02:30 AM »
even pose reference sites for artists have nudes or underwear models (~close enough~), so you can learn from reality.

these are two sites which I have used and still do.
https://www.quickposes.com/en
http://senshistock.com/

but good work so far. it looks like all those photos are from the same image as you were working on it? that's kind of cool. the eyes and the hair are the best bits. the nose, mouth and ears are a bit too low though!
the right-hand bust is a lot better proportions than the left-hand one.
Art: Manga / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other
Manga: Overdrive / Endlessness
Other: Tutorials / Craft
Feedback & Critique Welcome!!

Offline Rustee

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2019, 01:28:11 PM »
Hit a wall...... putting the sketch book down for a few days.  Does that happen to anyone else?

Offline suuper-san

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2019, 01:39:45 PM »
happens all the time to me XD
it's basically the life of an artist. building up stamina is quite important to keep pushing through those tough patches.
my advice would be to have several art plans for depending on which mood you are in (I do new sketches, or improve old ones, or copy stuff), and several related plans for when you don't feel like drawing at all. I watch anime/read manga (and try and look at the art) when I'm completely down and out, or copy stuff when I don't feel like making original sketches etc.
having an extra hobby like an instrument is a good fall back too.

maybe do something like draw 10 hands on a page or try and draw different emotion faces or something you havent drawn before like animals or mecha or backgrounds or something.
hope you get back to drawing ASAP :P

Offline Coryn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2019, 10:45:25 PM »
Well, not with art, but I was burnt out as a writer for a long time. I got back into it by having a whole mix of stories that I'm currently working on. That way if I even start to feel a little burnt out on one thing, I can switch to something else where I have more energy in the moment.

The equivalent in art I would think is to have a lot of pieces in different mediums/stages of development. That way you can always bounce to something different when you are tired of another thing.

As they say: A change is as good as a rest.

Offline legomaestro

• High Chancellor of Righteousness
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2019, 03:48:43 AM »
It's advice ya'll have repeated a lot but I need to seriously keep that in mind. Burn out can be quite a ninja, and surprisingly juggling a lot of projects may help so long as you can consistently plug away at them.

On sketchbooks: I heard another tip where you should keep a sketchbook 'just for yourself' to scribble in and gain mileage without showing the world. Sometimes you can feel pressured to scan each and every piece of art you've ever drawn and upload it online, then you find you don't have any 'reserve' to show anymore. If you're the 'draw for myself' type to an extent this could help.

I like how careful you're working on your faces. I've never been that studious when doing drawings so keep at it like that and you'll be sure to improve in no time.

Offline Coryn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2019, 07:45:14 AM »
I plug it so hard because it t has just been that revolutionary for me. I'm sure it won't work for absolutely everyone, bit if it's done me this much good, there's gotta be something to it.

Offline Rustee

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2019, 12:14:34 PM »
Yeah I just feel like I'm drawing the same thing over and over with not much improvement, but yet I still see improvement... if that makes sense haha.  For example: I always felt like my faces look like the shape of an aliens, and when I think I've done better, I look and see an alien STILL, its like: is the chin to pointy, is there not enough cheeks, are the eyes too close, and I try to adjust then I get too wide of a face, still a pointy chin, eyes are not in the right spot, and too much blank space around the mouth to nose to eyes.....  So its a little frustrating, I know I need to be patient, but when you try making improvements but it looks the same, or worse, and you erase and go back to the orignal look that you weren't happy to begin with, is annoying.  I like the idea of working on small project, draw so many hands, or eyes ect.  Work on small details.  I found a new youtube channle for tutorials, and I really like her technique and how she gives direction, so its very encouraging to pick up the sketch book again after a few days.  I have been writing some story ideas, that's what I have been doing instead of drawing.  I'm glad too see I am not the only who can get burnt out!!

Offline Coryn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2019, 12:21:25 PM »
Oh definitely! Burn out happens to the best of us. It's nothing to be ashamed of. Shame only comes when you give up entirely.

Offline suuper-san

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2019, 11:49:43 AM »
Quote from: Coryn
The equivalent in art I would think is to have a lot of pieces in different mediums/stages of development. That way you can always bounce to something different when you are tired of another thing.
100% yes on this. It's exactly what I currently do in an attempt to limit any sort of burnout and keep productivity high.

Quote from: Lego
Sometimes you can feel pressured to scan each and every piece of art you've ever drawn and upload it online
This is totally me XD
Fortunately I do have a folder of drawings that I have for myself, a lot are tests of different styles and me just letting lose. Knowing that I won't upload or share those drawings helps me to draw as freely as possible.

@Rustee I can totally feel your frustration. Something that I tried was drawing with pen instead of pencil, with the idea that if I can't erase my mistakes, it will encourage me to draw it right first time. Having erasing as a backup plan is almost preparing to draw it wrongly in a way. That was in 2012 and I've never gone back to pencil for my main sketching tool.

Similarly with digital, Ctrl-Z is the same sort of fall back, and some artists keep drawing and redrawing the same line (you see this on timelapse drawings a lot), undoing each time until they get it right. But surely the problem is not getting it right the first time, right? I try and avoid Undo as much as I do the eraser.

Quote from: Coryn
Shame only comes when you give up entirely.
Yup. No-one starts out perfect at a new skill, especially in art which has such a large range of sub-skills. So it's sort of obvious that you won't be amazingly skilled when you start out, but every artist has gone through that phase to get as good as they are today. Keep it up and you can be one of them :)
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 11:52:00 AM by suuper-san »

Offline Rustee

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2019, 03:17:16 PM »
Alright!  After about 5 days of not drawing, it was a nice break, I have been watching youtube videos and found a channel I really like and it inspired me!  Here is some body work I did, free handed, and didn't use reference pictures... I wanted to see what I am capable of, PLEASE IGNORE THEIR FACES!!  For the most part, I kinda like their bodies and clothing, KINDA, I am real happy with the girl in the dress, mainly her legs cause my goal was to make it look like she was taking a step.  Sooooo not too bad, for not following a tutorial or reference picture.  And last but not least.... I am so happy with the third picture!  I did follow a tutorial, I wanted to get better with the 3/4 face look, and I am very overall happy with how she turned out, and she doesn't look exactly like the girl from the tutorial I follow, the youtuber is very good at explaining angles ect.  I can't wait to finish her!!  I don't want to mess her up, Im not sure what are the best steps to take next to draw a body on her.  But for now, I am very pleased with her!!

Offline Rustee

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2019, 04:37:31 PM »
Had a "lovely" winter snow storm in my area, which is uncommon... I'm calling it the Winter Apocalypse of 2019!  Had no power, hot water, and heat for 3 days, and was not prepared!  Finally got power back yesterday, you would think in the down time I had during this I would draw... nope!  Had missions to travel into a bigger town and get supplies, used my brother in laws place to take a shower and charge our phones, had to shovel snow in the drive way, and kept my hand in my pockets with hand warmers.... what a mess, missed an opportunity to practice drawing, but like I said, my hands were freezing... I fell off a dirt bike and dislocated and cut down to the bone on one of my fingers, jammed another one (this is on my dominant hand of course) so my hand cramps up easily from writing, drawing, or even holding stuff for too long, so go figure when its super cold, my injuries get stiff and are a lil tender.  Well, that's my fun story about my life I wanted to share, felt like its been awhile since I've been on here!

Offline suuper-san

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 02, 2019, 07:52:09 AM »
nice to see some full body sketches and sorry to hear about the crazy stuff that's been going on!

Offline MahluaandMilk

• Queen of Lurking Losers / Ms. Fanservice
  • Resident Witchipedia
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 08, 2019, 08:09:07 PM »
Gotta say, kiddo, I relate to a lot of what's goin on, from the winter weather (it friggen snowed today at work. Got to see the duckies stand on the ice of the little pond...) to burnout (kind of technically dropped out of university in October due to taking two teaching internships simultaneously).

But on top of all the other stuff everyone's given you to chew on, the only thing I'm gonna add on (because seriously, it is a lot, and I know that on a very, very personal level) is something to help you chew on it:

Remember to be nice to yourself. You're going to miss days every now and then. And some days at best you can squeeze out Es for effort. And that's okay. Treat yourself like your own best friend. Know that you're still learning and that the curve is a long and treacherous path, and it sucks.