June 26, 2019, 08:11:46 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: A little Rustee: Drawing Gallery  (Read 2449 times)

Offline Rustee

• View Profile
Re: Attempts at hair and body work
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2019, 05:55:28 PM »
This weeks drawing....  I feel like I'm slowly getting better at heads and hair, but I have to use some sort of guide/ reference picture.  I'm also trying to work on the body and angles, but I SUCK at bodies!!! I need to study up on human anatomy  :confused:

attempt with 'clothes'

Any tips or suggestions are much appreciated!
Also I've been playing with some digital art, and I can use your opinions, I'm worried that I did something disrespectful (I think that the word I want to use).  But I took a very simple picture off google and uploaded it onto sketchbook and worked on layers and tracing, I should use my own drawings for practice, but I wanted something more clean, if that makes sense and it was a cute picture.  After I was done outlining/tracing, I played with colors, (its a new program and I wanted to play around) and I love how it looks!  But I don't want to share it, I feel like I cheated, BUT I feel like I was just practicing and having fun, and I'm not claiming or saying its my drawing or passing it as my own, I don't know, thoughts? is that okay or is it straight up plagiarism?
It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop. – Confucius

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2019, 11:09:01 PM »
It's fine as long as you aren't earning money on it, and if you say up front what it is. We're all learning, and there are a lot of methods out there.

My one piece of advice on that is to stay away from literal tracing. That's going to do you more harm than good. But there is value in copying using the naked eye.

Stock photo websites are great for finding reference images too. If you're using a reference for something complicated, that's perfectly acceptable. Artists do it all the time. It's the same for learning anatomy too of course. You know the classic scene of someone posing nude in the middle of a circle of artists. In time you can learn it by heart, bit until then yeah, use actual images of people doing things to their full usefulness.

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline suuper-san

• I have no idea what I am doing XD
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2019, 04:35:28 PM »
yeah copying/referencing is a standard part of the art learning cycle. in fact it's hard to improve without having something in front of you. but make sure you say what's copied and what's not, otherwise you risk taking the credit for someone else's design.

as Coryn says, tracing isn't so helpful compared to learning to draw those lines yourself, as when tracing you're not learning to process the lines in the same way. depending on your own style of learning you can vary what/how you copy, you'll learn what works for you along the way.

its good to see you trying to work on learning anatomy!
I think overall your heads are too big and the neck too thin at the moment. good to see use of guidelines/circles/lines to build up the body. as you learn you'll see what shapes work best for you as well.
keep it up!
Art: Manga / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other | Manga Stories: Overdrive / Endlessness
Other: Tutorials / Craft | Feedback & Critique Welcome!!

Offline Rustee

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2019, 05:55:12 PM »
Awesome advise!  I was watching a tutorial the other day, the person recommended NOT doing the stick figures, but doing the box shapes instead, is there a method you guys prefer?  I need to make sure neck are too small, I see that now, I'm so glad that was pointed out!  I feel like little things like that help so much!  I just need to figure out body and angles, then move to feet, hands, and clothes ekk

Offline Rustee

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2019, 11:20:57 PM »
Did some fan art, and thought I practice with some digital art: Jugyeong from True Beauty from webtoons.

Its not great, but I like it. It was kinda therapeutic to do, and it gave me the chance to play with some programs....  I do see a few things I need to work on, so I can eventually scan my own drawings in.  But for now, I was just kinda playing.

Offline Gabryel

• Lazy cat
  • Beware! Danger of sarcasm!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2019, 06:22:27 AM »
Hello, I don't think we've met yet ^^ Cute drawings so far, looking forward to see more! What programs did you play with?

Have a nice day  :heart:
The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. (S. Hawkins)

Offline Rustee

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2019, 12:52:52 PM »
Thank you Gabryel!  I was using Clip Studio Art, but its not very beginner friendly (for me at least), so I did this on SketchBook.  I've never done digital art before, I also haven't drawn in years, I feel like my best bet is to draw on paper and then scan into program.  I also have Adobe Photoshop, but I use that for my photography, I'm not sure where to begin for manga on it!

Offline Gabryel

• Lazy cat
  • Beware! Danger of sarcasm!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2019, 02:00:26 PM »
Oh really? I just started using Clip Studio Paint and think it's much better for painting than Photoshop (which I used for painting for a long time). But I get that it isn't really beginner friendly and I'd also advice you to better draw on paper to get more comfortable with drawing :) Working digitally is another skillset you can focus on when you got some practice in the basic stuff.

Well you CAN draw with photoshop but in comparison, I feel that it's focussing way more on photo manipulation. I use it now mostly for the finishing steps like colour balance and filters. But yeah you seriously need to know what you want to acomplish or you're just LOST lol
The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. (S. Hawkins)

Offline suuper-san

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2019, 11:22:42 AM »
Yeah I would recommend focusing on learning to draw on paper first as thats at least 75% of the skill you need to draw digitally anyway. you don't have to worry with program settings and tablet issues and all that junk that gets in the way of actually learning to draw haha

that being said thats a lovely coloured artwork, I don't know the character but she looks great!
A word of warning when copying artworks is that in the event the artist has made a mistake, you also copy that mistake, as well as if they have oversimplified something like hands or face, you only learn to draw as good as that level.
so don't forget to have a nice dose of drawing from photos/real life to make sure you're learning it right.
but it looks like your best piece you've posted so far!

(also "fan art" implies your own original piece of someone's character, whereas this is a trace of a shot from the comic? best to say if it's a copy or a trace when you post. if not then my bad)

keep it up and keep posting more art!!!!
Art: Manga / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other | Manga Stories: Overdrive / Endlessness

Offline Rustee

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2019, 12:43:44 PM »
I draw on paper almost everyday, usually on my lunch breaks at work, and a little in the evening, I have a few drawings I've been working on, one face straight on and working on hair technique and portions on head size and neck, and angle face which is almost done I just need to finish her hair, and today on I wanna work on a body pose and maybe if I have time hands.  I don't do digital art often because I am so new to it, I rather draw on paper and scan it into the program, but that would end up me tracing over it, so I not do that?  But yeah, I'm embarrassed I could figure out how to free hand her, I love this character especially her hair, and like I said, I just really wanted to play around.  I value your guys feedback and concerns!!!!!

Offline suuper-san

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2019, 01:41:17 PM »
transferring traditional to digital often does involve tracing over your artwork again, but depending on how finished your artwork on paper is, the amount of work you do digitally will vary. it will depend on the style you develop as well.

that's great that you can draw in your lunch breaks, that's using your time wisely XD

Offline Rustee

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2019, 02:43:27 PM »
Yeah I get an hour, but I live just far enough away that its not worth the drive, so I eat in my car, play youtube videos, or music, and draw.  Then at night I play video games with my buddies and in between loading sessions I draw a lil more.  So I don't draw often, but enough to get some practice.  I heard if your uncomfortable drawing certain parts of the body to draw it 100 times, so I have been considering doing that!

Offline suuper-san

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2019, 03:25:01 PM »
I heard if your uncomfortable drawing certain parts of the body to draw it 100 times
Thats totally true and I totally recommend it!
I need to do that for hands and feet XD

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2019, 11:03:48 PM »
Or 1000, if you're Lego.

Always remember though, you have both hands and feet yourself. Combine them with a mirror and you will have an on demand art reference any time you need. Never underestimate the power of a living stand in.

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline suuper-san

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2019, 01:09:41 PM »
and which also has the added benefit of viewing in 3d so you can understand the form more clearly.