November 20, 2019, 07:30:40 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Ask A Native - Reference Assistance Workshop  (Read 499 times)

Offline legomaestro

• High Chancellor of Righteousness
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
Ask A Native - Reference Assistance Workshop
« on: December 19, 2018, 06:48:32 AM »
For those writing about a country they're not familiar with, here is a place to ask a Native about specific stuff they may know about that'll make your story avoid any accuracy pitfalls. For example, how the heck do electrical sockets look like in Canada?

Of course, good research and Google are your friend but I thought this'd be useful. It also doesn't only need to be setting relevant.

Offline suuper-san

• I have no idea what I am doing XD
    • View Profile
Re: Ask A Native - Reference Assistance Workshop
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2018, 08:19:35 AM »
how the heck do electrical sockets look like in Canada?
aaaaand this is why manga is a real pain to deal with when you've got a definite setting. It's hard to remember all the tiny differences like that or even to realise that they are there to begin with. My mangas sort of hover between my native UK knowledge and my natural tendancy/expectancy to set it in Japan lol
One of the reasons why I will probably just make up a brand new setting and just mix everything I know into a soup. Kind of what Big Hero 6 did.

as an additional idea, Google Maps on street view is great at getting an idea of how a city/town/rural/house/school looks like, as well as external props like street lights, signs etc. I've spent a bunch of time wandering around Japanese towns and it's quite fun as well. Plus you can save lots of images for reference as well.

something I would like to know about Japan though, is, "Japan has these short tables called kotatsu, right? Well are there any other tables like a study desk that are also short? Animes often show kids at a "normal" height desk doing their homework, so is that normal?"
« Last Edit: December 29, 2018, 08:22:22 AM by suuper-san »
Art: Manga / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other | Manga Stories: Overdrive / Endlessness
Other: Tutorials / Craft | Feedback & Critique Welcome!!

Offline legomaestro

• High Chancellor of Righteousness
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2018, 10:47:33 AM »
That's a topic of discussion on its own: Why does something like Big Hero 6 go down so well with all that mish-mash of ideas? Could be a neat trick to learn.

I've heard the Google Maps thing before. Might as well make a workshop from that too. I want to at least draw one Street View scene from a place I've never been to like at all. Japan here I come! Haha we should wander the streets and do a treasure hunt or something.

Man I wish I had a Kotatsu. I'd love the hell out of that thing. Also, are all Japanese rooms as clean as you see it from highschool students? If so then I have a lot to learn I dare say oh lawd.

Offline suuper-san

• I have no idea what I am doing XD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2018, 10:51:22 AM »
I've heard the Google Maps thing before. Might as well make a workshop from that too. I want to at least draw one Street View scene from a place I've never been to like at all.
I'd totally be up for that. You possibly heard it from me before :D

are all Japanese rooms as clean as you see it from highschool students?
now that you mention it.....that's really bizarre. I say it's just the animators being lazy.
Art: Manga / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other | Manga Stories: Overdrive / Endlessness
Other: Tutorials / Craft | Feedback & Critique Welcome!!