March 29, 2024, 03:18:08 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Morgan's Art and Critique Thread  (Read 11390 times)

Offline MorganManga

• View Profile
Morgan's Art and Critique Thread
« on: December 03, 2018, 05:54:24 PM »
Hello Everyone,

I just joined this forum but have teaching myself to draw for a while. The main goal of this thread is for me to post work and get feedback so I can improve continuously. I appreciate all critiques and honesty. The more mistakes that are found, the better I can become, but I still appreciate  positive feedback.

My main goal as an artist is to release manga and commissions on a regular basis for people to enjoy and make a career of it. As of this post I have not released any manga or commissions, but I hope to soon. Yusuke Murata is my favorite manga artist (One Punch Man) and I want to draw as well as he does eventually.

I have done some concept work for my first manga. At this point in time, I draw figures with and without clothes for the sake of anatomy practice. You can see it here:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

If you are wondering why some of the characters do not have faces, it is an intentional part of the design. I would like to hear what you think.

I am learning to draw Manga, check out my art here!: https://forums.mangaraiders.com/index.php/topic,19370.0.html

Offline KeanFox

• View Profile
Re: Morgan's Art and Critique Thread
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2018, 07:29:52 PM »
Looks good so far. Give it some more time and practices and you will get to where you aim for.

Now the feedback.
The last one, the lady doing the jump. Her feet are swapped. The big toe is on the opposed side.

The first running suit guy. The gray cloths folds lines. When done right they can add life and volume to your clothes. If you do the folds willy-nilly it takes away from your work. I like the way you draw pants and shoes. Just work on the folds.   

We have similar goals, so good luck :thumbsup:

Offline MorganManga

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2018, 11:42:22 PM »
Looks good so far. Give it some more time and practices and you will get to where you aim for.

Now the feedback.
The last one, the lady doing the jump. Her feet are swapped. The big toe is on the opposed side.

The first running suit guy. The gray cloths folds lines. When done right they can add life and volume to your clothes. If you do the folds willy-nilly it takes away from your work. I like the way you draw pants and shoes. Just work on the folds.   

We have similar goals, so good luck :thumbsup:

Ha, I can't believe I didn't catch the swapped feet. I struggle with folds and do not know many resources. Do you have any exercises or tutorials you know of that you might recommend? I love doing exercises. Thank you and good luck to you as well.
I am learning to draw Manga, check out my art here!: https://forums.mangaraiders.com/index.php/topic,19370.0.html

Offline MahluaandMilk

• MagicKal#6370 / Fanservice with Legs
  • Resident Witchipedia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2018, 11:47:38 PM »
My personal favorite for practicing clothes is to literally throw a bunch of your own clothes around the house. On couches, crumpled on the floor, draped over chairs--then draw them. Totally free and totally effective. Usually there are pull folds, drape folds, and whatever you wanna call the folds that happen when you bend your elbow and stuff. I find that things tend to form shapes, triangles and hooks particularly. It tends to boil down to why is the fabric folding the way it is and selective detailing. You don't wanna draw too many folds or the drawing gets crowded. The question to think about is how you want to visually convey what the clothes are doing with their environment.

Sorry if that's really wordy. My brain isn't quite functioning concisely at the moment.
Haha signature go brr.

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
  • Anyone need a wall of text?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2018, 02:44:06 AM »
Yusuke Murata is my favorite manga artist
Never would have guessed with all those bald guys XD
I actually looked at your art before reading your post and thought "this person's really into one punch man"

welcome to the forum! looks like the quality of your drawing is already manga-level, so I look forward to reading/seeing anything you churn out.

love the folds on the outfits, especially since they are all black clothes, getting the folds to look right with black clothes can be a nightmare :P

@Mahlua thats a great idea for practicing clothing, although since the clothes are loosely draped, the folds won't be the same as when being worn. but you would certainly learn a lot about the fabric and folds in general, which would be very useful.
Art: Illustrations / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other Art | Manga Stories & Projects
Other Stuff: Tutorials / Craft / Cosplay | Feedback & Critique Welcome!

Offline legomaestro

• High Chancellor of Righteousness
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2018, 01:55:54 PM »
These are great. You have a really good understanding for anatomy.

Offline MorganManga

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2018, 02:53:45 PM »
Hey guys, I've done some more practice. I think its time for me to start storyboarding my first Manga. Do I post that art here or in another forum section? I would basically be posting WIPs and finished panels so that you guys can help me improve, so I was thinking of just doing that here.

I practiced some drapery and folds since I got the impression I needed to improve. I really struggle with zig-zag folds. Even when tracing them, it doesn't come out right. That obviously means I need to practice more, but I would love some advice or pointers or any critique.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Some more figure drawing and anatomy practice. These ones are from reference. I hope these still count as PG-13 since I did not draw them "completely" if you know what I mean. I will remove them asap if they are breaking the rules.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

These ones are with semi-reference, meaning I looked at different pictures for help, but the pose and angle are my own work and design. WP refers to what I feel is a weak point of the drawing and needs to be improved more than other parts. I struggle a lot with hands and feet.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Lastly, here's one I really struggled with from semi-reference. I will certainly be redoing this as it does not meet my standards, so any advice is valuable to me.

Spoiler

I appreciate all comments and critique.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 02:59:26 PM by MorganManga »

Offline KeanFox

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2018, 06:05:20 PM »
Looks good already. Don't have to be photo realistic. Just having the folds types in there goes a long way.

Cool, you starting your manga! Will love to see that
I'm not sure where to pose the storyboarding, here or on its own thread.

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2018, 01:51:24 PM »
lovely fabric folds and showing the shape underneath. very cool and useful.

I think that anatomy of that sort is borderline ok :)
and it's looking real sharp with all the muscles and whatnot in the right places.
nice to see your notes and comments around the sketches, it shows you're really thinking about improving and getting that accuracy.
Art: Illustrations / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other Art | Manga Stories & Projects

Offline MorganManga

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2019, 08:46:40 PM »
Hey, guys, I'm back with a few more drawings:

Launch using the Dodon ray from the Dragon Ball series. I like the way this came out but I am still looking for critiques to improve. That will probably always be true for anything I make.

Spoiler

Here are the first two work in progress pages for my first Manga. I'm really nervous about it but I still want all the critique I can get. As an exercise for myself, I will be drawing all of the anatomies (on a separate layer) regardless of whether it is visible in the final product. For example, the man in bed is covered by sheets up to his neck for the final release but I've drawn his full body and anatomy anyway because I need to get better at it. This will make things take a lot longer to make, but I think it's worth it.

I struggle really hard with faces and any help I can get with that would be great.

Spoiler

The floating hands and other random bits are just failed attempts that I keep for posterity when reviewing my progress. They will not appear in the final product.

Spoiler

Lastly, I was advised to redo this entire panel by another friend and I agree with that. The perspective is awkward and the head and hands look weird. I don't quite know how I would make it better if I were to do the exact same angle. When I redo it, I will make a more manageable perspective, but please give me all the advice you can on how to fix these mistakes moving forward. My lack of experience with heads really shows here.

Spoiler

Please let me know about any issues you see because I really do not want to have to make changes after it's inked. I appreciate all comments

« Last Edit: October 29, 2020, 09:36:18 PM by MorganManga »

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2019, 04:31:31 AM »
good to see you annotating over the panels and analyzing what's wrong. shows you're working hard to fix those minor mistakes.
it is an awkward angle on that last panel but I can't say it looks wrong to me, but if you know what to improve then that's great.
keep it up, I hope the manga comes out good :)

Offline Robin Rain

• Robin Shadow Ryuu
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2019, 09:35:07 AM »
It's amazing you have the patience to draw out all the muscles. >_>;

Uh, one thing I notice about the bottom panel is that the legs, from the knee down, are a bit small, especially the one closest to the viewer. Remember that things appear larger the closer they are

Offline MorganManga

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2019, 04:07:09 AM »
good to see you annotating over the panels and analyzing what's wrong. shows you're working hard to fix those minor mistakes.
it is an awkward angle on that last panel but I can't say it looks wrong to me, but if you know what to improve then that's great.
keep it up, I hope the manga comes out good :)

Thank you for the feedback. I almost always give any drawing my best effort. I have figured out a few things I can use to improve that last panel thanks to some other critiques. I was told that the hip area is malformed and that my head drawing skills are lacking. I think they are right and will focus on these challenges.

It's amazing you have the patience to draw out all the muscles. >_>;

Uh, one thing I notice about the bottom panel is that the legs, from the knee down, are a bit small, especially the one closest to the viewer. Remember that things appear larger the closer they are

I appreciate your compliment. I think your critique is absolutely right. I will try to mind perspective more effectively. It is very helpful to have people point out errors that I am blind to.

As for the manga, it is a slow and painful process because I am tripping every step of the way and need to take time to stand up so to speak. I wish I was faster but it also doesn't bother me past the point of tolerance because I knew the first manga I created would be the one with the most difficulties (I hope). On the bright side, I don't really have any following at the moment so, for the most part, I am only keeping myself waiting for the next page.

Offline MahluaandMilk

• MagicKal#6370 / Fanservice with Legs
  • Resident Witchipedia
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2019, 06:56:14 PM »
Tripping over your own feet is part of the learning curve, I promise. Believe me, I trip just about every step of the way.

The process can be super slow, but it might help if you don't draw out every muscle. I find that a lot of people in the early stages fall into the trap of adding too much detail too early on. It's possible you might be having that frustration. Selective detailing can not only add dynamicism, but also can make the process go so much quicker.

For example, when I first started trying to draw comics, I found it most rewarding to only draw skeletal frames that were pretty much just lines and exaggerated sketchy expressions and my handwriting in scrwal for sound effects and dialogue, usually just on index cards. This helped me figure out angles and stuff on the small scale so that I could size up later. I still never wound up finishing the comics as a whole, but I found it a heck of a lot easier to sketch out five pages and then go back and ink them as opposed to doing them one at a time, which felt gruelling and super slow to me.

But, hey, everyone has their own method. I'm not saying that only drawing the major muscle groups instead of all the small details and just sketching everything will "fix" anything at all. I just know that I used to almost want to tear my hair out because finalizing takes so long (for me), and that it might help.
Haha signature go brr.

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2019, 08:29:38 AM »
For example, when I first started trying to draw comics, I found it most rewarding to only draw skeletal frames that were pretty much just lines and exaggerated sketchy expressions and my handwriting in scrwal for sound effects and dialogue, usually just on index cards. This helped me figure out angles and stuff on the small scale so that I could size up later. I still never wound up finishing the comics as a whole, but I found it a heck of a lot easier to sketch out five pages and then go back and ink them as opposed to doing them one at a time, which felt gruelling and super slow to me.
I totally agree with this. Planning out the whole thing super rough is time saving for when you want to re-panel pages and whatnot. No point adding details to something that you might/will change.