May 25, 2019, 09:43:07 PM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Morgan's Art and Critique Thread  (Read 856 times)

Offline MorganManga

• View Profile
Re: Morgan's Art and Critique Thread
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2019, 12:54:54 AM »
Tripping over your own feet is part of the learning curve, I promise. Believe me, I trip just about every step of the way.

The process can be super slow, but it might help if you don't draw out every muscle. I find that a lot of people in the early stages fall into the trap of adding too much detail too early on. It's possible you might be having that frustration. Selective detailing can not only add dynamicism, but also can make the process go so much quicker.

For example, when I first started trying to draw comics, I found it most rewarding to only draw skeletal frames that were pretty much just lines and exaggerated sketchy expressions and my handwriting in scrwal for sound effects and dialogue, usually just on index cards. This helped me figure out angles and stuff on the small scale so that I could size up later. I still never wound up finishing the comics as a whole, but I found it a heck of a lot easier to sketch out five pages and then go back and ink them as opposed to doing them one at a time, which felt gruelling and super slow to me.

But, hey, everyone has their own method. I'm not saying that only drawing the major muscle groups instead of all the small details and just sketching everything will "fix" anything at all. I just know that I used to almost want to tear my hair out because finalizing takes so long (for me), and that it might help.

I'll try out your idea of drawing skeleton frames. I'm only drawing the muscles on a separate layer for the sake of practice. For example, I will even draw the anatomy hidden under clothes, but they will not be visible to the reader. They will not be in the final product. That definitely makes things take longer but I think it will be worth it. After I feel more comfortable I'll stop drawing muscles on characters when they are covered.

I totally agree with this. Planning out the whole thing super rough is time saving for when you want to re-panel pages and whatnot. No point adding details to something that you might/will change.

I'll try to make things rougher in the future. I am concerned with not being able to work off of a rough drawing if its too messy but I need to balance it.

good to see you annotating over the panels and analyzing what's wrong. shows you're working hard to fix those minor mistakes.
it is an awkward angle on that last panel but I can't say it looks wrong to me, but if you know what to improve then that's great.
keep it up, I hope the manga comes out good :)

I think I missed this comment earlier. In your opinion, what would you do to make it less awkward? Someone else I know said the same thing so I'd like to hear your opinion.
I am learning to draw Manga, check out my art here!: https://forums.mangaraiders.com/index.php/topic,19370.0.html

Offline legomaestro

• High Chancellor of Righteousness
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
Re: Morgan's Art and Critique Thread
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2019, 05:34:40 AM »
Man that do don ray one looks dynamic. Love the clarity of your lines. You seem to have the human body down to a pat. I like how you drew that alarm clock too btw in the manga panel. I haven't broken down forms in 3d in a while.