May 25, 2019, 09:57:37 PM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Jumbled Idea Journal and Random Scribbles  (Read 1072 times)

Offline Hikaru Muto

• Freelance Artist
  • Hello everyone! I am a traditional artist.
    • View Profile
Re: Jumbled Idea Journal and Random Scribbles
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2018, 02:33:06 AM »
Sometimes names can even come from something like, combining the names of their parents. If you already have ideas for parents maybe you can go that route.

Offline Chronos

• University student with worldbuilding disease
    • View Profile
Re: Jumbled Idea Journal and Random Scribbles
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2019, 01:46:13 PM »
Sometimes names can even come from something like, combining the names of their parents. If you already have ideas for parents maybe you can go that route.

Hm, I don't mean any disrespect, but I would advise against this. This tends to result in names that seem unimpressive (especially if you can immediately tell that it's just the parent's names mashed together) because the reader can tell at first glance what the thought process behind this name was, which would in this case be quite underwhelming, since it would be a rather simple one. Better stick with character traits you have already decided upon, then think about the culture of your character (although it is of course a fictional one, I am sure there must be at least some parallels to a real world culture and language group, right?) and try your luck on a baby name website again with these two filters in mind. For example, I like to use behindthename.com for this. Look for a certain meaning, like "merciful" or "wise", that fits the character, search the results for a name from a language that would not seem out of place in your setting's culture and see where you can go from there. If nothing else, it should at least be the source of some inspiration.