March 24, 2019, 09:09:58 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: In Which Mahlua Rants about Common Newbie Mistakes  (Read 241 times)

Offline MahluaandMilk

• Queen of Lurking Losers / Ms. Fanservice
  • Resident Witchipedia
    • View Profile
In Which Mahlua Rants about Common Newbie Mistakes
« on: November 29, 2018, 10:02:12 AM »
So my roommate and I watched a YouTube video last night about ten mistakes beginning artists make (it was this one for those interested in the context for this post), and upon hearing some of them, I was practically shrieking in agreement. Number 10 got me in particular. I don't remember the numbers in which some things were discussed, but I wanted to expand on a few of them a little and then tackle that one.

First of all, there are a lot of people who want to be good at art or any skill in general, but very few who are actually willing to go through the phase of absolutely sucking all the way through kinda-good and then eventually to tolerable. If you don't want to suck at first, you will not have the motivation to acquire new skills. Sorry not sorry, that's how the world works. You have to admit to yourself that in the beginning, there is a learning curve, and when it comes to art, that learning curve is massive. Some people want to be like, "Oh, but that person just picked up a pencil and created all these things!" Chances are that no, they did not just pick up a pencil and suddenly make good art. They may have a better understanding of one of the basic principles of art without really understanding how or why, but that doesn't mean it's not there. Also that person is not you, so back to the grind with you.

That said, there's the issue of criticism. You don't get to pick and choose what people notice about your art. If someone points out that something looks wonky to them, it's fair to take it with a grain of salt because maybe it's just them. But when more than two people come forward about it, and I'd even say when more than one person steps forward about it, it's something to consider. And that means you still kinda suck at that thing. Now go back and reread that paragraph just above this one. When it all boils down, most artists have things they struggle with. No one is good at everything. That's what basic skills are for and why we have two members running around doing 1000s of figures and expressions and why we share toolkits like drawabox.com and Loomis. There is always room for improvement. Even after you get past the phase where your art looks tolerable. Especially after you get past tolerable. After that point, the improvements become more nuanced and complex. That learning curve you had in the beginning? It never goes away. If it ever did, there would be a lot more good artists, but people are afraid to suck, so they don't take those learning curves. See that cycle again?

Now, onto number ten in that guy's video. I swear to the gods if we get another kid on here saying "tha's jus muh STYLE" I'm probably going to be angry enough to whack someone's spine with a crowbar. Drawing things in a way that looks incorrect to everybody else over and over again is not a "style". It's a bad habit. Styles are made up of habits, yes, but doing things in a way that's easy for you but looks terrible is only holding you back, and also is not a style proper. On top of that, controversial statement: there is such a thing as a bad style. A bad style is made up of bad habits. Can you see where this is going? Because it's going back around to "Just admit that it sucks to suck but that's how we learn."

Learning a new skill like art is a long, complicated path, and there are going to be mistakes. There are going to be times where you get so frustrated that you want to rip your paper (or digital canvas) up and never look back. If you don't hit one of those phases, you're too comfortable and aren't going anywhere any time soon. Growth only happens outside your comfort zone anyhow. You have to be flexible and try new things.

//Endrant :read:

Offline KeanFox

• View Profile
Re: In Which Mahlua Rants about Common Newbie Mistakes
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2018, 12:59:38 PM »
Art style is the result of personal preference, method, and tools. change any of them and your art will look different. As the guy said, try new things before settling with one art style.

Offline suuper-san

• I have no idea what I am doing XD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2018, 01:20:17 PM »
Well I finally watched that video after seeing in in my recommended for about 2 years. Yup, thankfully I sort of dont do some of those things :P

that was a good point about having to have construction lines. Because you can't see inside a good artist's mind (who doesn't use construction lines) , you don't realise that they are just drawing guidelines in their head instead. I can't wait until I can pull this off properly it's one of my artist dreams :P

Drawing things in a way that looks incorrect to everybody else over and over again is not a "style". It's a bad habit
I strongly agree with this if you are a beginner artist, but I think sometimes (super infrequently) you know it's wrong but you just like it, for strange personal only-you reasons. one time I deliberately went through some really disproportionate heads with the eyes in like the bottom quarter of the face and it looked really wrong, but I really liked it at the same time despite looking wrong. But I think you can only pull the "its my style" card if you actually can draw properly and deliberately chose to not to. So a pro basically :) (think Picasso)

There are going to be times where you get so frustrated that you want to rip your paper
Yup working out of your comfort zone will do this but as you say, its the best thing for you to gain experience. You have to throw away your pride to some extent I think while you learn to draw. I live in my comfort zone, even when working out of it I keep a leg and arm inside just in case.
Art: Manga / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other
Manga: Overdrive / Endlessness
Other: Tutorials / Craft
Feedback & Critique Welcome!!

Offline MahluaandMilk

• Queen of Lurking Losers / Ms. Fanservice
  • Resident Witchipedia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2018, 01:32:11 PM »
I strongly agree with this if you are a beginner artist, but I think sometimes (super infrequently) you know it's wrong but you just like it, for strange personal only-you reasons. one time I deliberately went through some really disproportionate heads with the eyes in like the bottom quarter of the face and it looked really wrong, but I really liked it at the same time despite looking wrong. But I think you can only pull the "its my style" card if you actually can draw properly and deliberately chose to not to. So a pro basically :) (think Picasso)

Yeah, I consider that to be a different thing entirely. Devola's noodle women come to mind. The thing is, it may look incorrect, but it still looks consistent within a proper style. For most beginners, it doesn't really look consistent, and over time, that crutch becomes more prominent, and by that time, it's going to be a rough habit to break.

Offline suuper-san

• I have no idea what I am doing XD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2018, 01:42:18 PM »
thats a good point about consistency, although yes, given enough time even a bad habit can become consistent. I'm amazed how much my style has changed over the years when I wasn't even trying to change it.
similarly if you go through manga styles and anime styles 10/20/30 years ago to now they are very different (and some might say 'wrong') but they are consistent to that style.
Art: Manga / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other
Manga: Overdrive / Endlessness
Other: Tutorials / Craft
Feedback & Critique Welcome!!