July 15, 2019, 02:06:02 PM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Level of Combat ~  (Read 572 times)

Offline Baruden

• Blackens
    • View Profile
Level of Combat ~
« on: November 24, 2018, 09:01:15 AM »
Evening fellas,

Finally got my ass into asking for an advice from you guys.

First of all, I write as a hobby. I don't usually do long continuous day by day writing so that leave me vulnerable for second thoughts, re-writing and a lot of doubts in my contents.

When i started to write this story i had an idea of how this story is going to, the characters, type of powers and few huge events. But now once i reached to my first serious fighting scene i stopped for nearly 2 months now thinking of how will i go forward in this.

Let me explain the protagonist, just before the story start (Spoiler) he was trapped with a #Number# of people. When they were trapped they were asked to only practice fighting and nothing else, all of them were fighters of all types some with powers and some are physically strong etc;. For straight 5 years the only thing they did is only to train 24/7. Keep in mind that comparing to his family's reputation he started way late to power himself. After a certain event just before our story started the protagonist was thrown outside this place. And apparently the first villain he's facing is a certain person who's "close" to him. Also he'll be gathering an entourage of 4 people with him while progressing in the story.

But i still didn't cement the fighting so far, only low-level fights. At the moment am still bouncing between the choices below.
  • A - Very high level - catastrophic level (DBZ - Last Fight NarutoVs.Sasuke).
  • B - High level - Like Seven Deadly Sins - Magi.
  • C - Medium Level - Like One Piece fights - DMC.
  • D - Low Level - Hajime no Ippo - Kenichi: The Mightiest Disciple.

Also i have another consideration in mind which is, How strong is the protagonist?. Also comparing to his entourage should he be much stronger than them? Also i have few choices in my mind.
  • A - Stronger than his entourage and stronger than most enemies mostly, This will make the story easier to progress and to write.
  • B - Slightly Stronger and even with most enemies, This may add a lot of factors in the story such as teaming up with his entourage to fight etc. And also give a chance for the rest to let's say rebel against him.
  • C - Evenly strong as his entourage, This will leave a great space of development for the protagonist where at the end of the story he'll be stronger than the rest after certain events.

Forget to mention that the protagonist have a certain power within him that awakes occasionally depending on the power itself (To sum it up just like the Nine-tail/Kurama).

Any additional ideas or adjustments are very welcomed. Am not sure if i can post a link yet or not but please visit my word press page where am releasing my story chapter by chapter and any tips are welcome! :sadbye:

https://baruden.wordpress.com/

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
Re: Level of Combat ~
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2018, 09:22:49 AM »
Well, we always encourage people to post their stories to MR directly. I know it can be a pain if you're already posting it somewhere else, but people are often wary of clicking links from people they don't know very well. That being said, now that you have met the post goal of 25, you are allowed to post links!

But I digress, let's talk about your story

As far as your first question goes, it is really a question only you can answer. But I can give a few thoughts that might help you figure it out.

The first thing you need to consider, is your own interest and ability to write each of the power levels. Writing a purely martial arts focused story is great and all, but if you find yourself unable to make the fights interesting without laser beams, then maybe you'll want to reconsider.

You also have to think about the characters themselves. When crafting a character, they have to make sense for the world around them. They need to have been crafted by it. If your hero is just a really good martial artist, he's going to think differently about others (these people could become as strong as me with just the right training) vs if he has seemingly magical god powers that only he possess (screw regular people, I need to only keep track of the other super humans)

As far the second question, while options A and B are certainly going to make it easier to push the story forward, it's also going to make it boring as all get out if you don't do it right. Option C lends naturally to a lot more interesting fights. But if you're concentrating less on the fights themselves, and more on the characters and things happening around the fights, then all will work, depending on what kind of story you're writing.

For instance, One Punch Man only works because while there is some spectacular fights, the main interest is how Saitama interacts with the world while being who he is. It's not about the fighting, it's about the results of the fighting.

That being said, the most common shounen trope I sorta a mix from what you stated. I.e.: much stronger than the friends, slightly stronger than the enemies. This is a good strategy as it makes for interesting fights, but if you don't want your side chracters to backslide into irrelevance immediately, you should make sure the friends are in the running with the hero as well. Because let me tell you, if not, three nights in you'll be dying to play around with someone else for a while, but you will have left yourself with simply zero options.

I hope that helps. Good luck!

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline Baruden

• Blackens
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2018, 01:20:19 PM »
Spoiler
Well, we always encourage people to post their stories to MR directly. I know it can be a pain if you're already posting it somewhere else, but people are often wary of clicking links from people they don't know very well. That being said, now that you have met the post goal of 25, you are allowed to post links!

But I digress, let's talk about your story

As far as your first question goes, it is really a question only you can answer. But I can give a few thoughts that might help you figure it out.

The first thing you need to consider, is your own interest and ability to write each of the power levels. Writing a purely martial arts focused story is great and all, but if you find yourself unable to make the fights interesting without laser beams, then maybe you'll want to reconsider.

You also have to think about the characters themselves. When crafting a character, they have to make sense for the world around them. They need to have been crafted by it. If your hero is just a really good martial artist, he's going to think differently about others (these people could become as strong as me with just the right training) vs if he has seemingly magical god powers that only he possess (screw regular people, I need to only keep track of the other super humans)

As far the second question, while options A and B are certainly going to make it easier to push the story forward, it's also going to make it boring as all get out if you don't do it right. Option C lends naturally to a lot more interesting fights. But if you're concentrating less on the fights themselves, and more on the characters and things happening around the fights, then all will work, depending on what kind of story you're writing.

For instance, One Punch Man only works because while there is some spectacular fights, the main interest is how Saitama interacts with the world while being who he is. It's not about the fighting, it's about the results of the fighting.

That being said, the most common shounen trope I sorta a mix from what you stated. I.e.: much stronger than the friends, slightly stronger than the enemies. This is a good strategy as it makes for interesting fights, but if you don't want your side chracters to backslide into irrelevance immediately, you should make sure the friends are in the running with the hero as well. Because let me tell you, if not, three nights in you'll be dying to play around with someone else for a while, but you will have left yourself with simply zero options.

I hope that helps. Good luck!

Actually that's quiet helpful, kinda cleared my minds on few things. My characters are all crafted with this universe i created, which makes it harder because i have to consider every detail i put in a character's arsenal. One thing that's making it harder that am trying to drop a mix of "Fighting forces" into the story. Just like Naruto for example where each ninja is specialized in a certain jutsu, or in One Piece if the character is a Devil fruit user or a Haki user or someone depends on accessories.

For the second point, also an interesting point you have there. That what i was missing in my endless debate in my mind "What makes the story special the fights or the events".

I'll spin those ideas in my mind, Thanks a million @Coryn !

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2018, 02:13:21 PM »
Good deal. I hope you find your answer

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline Chronos

• University student with worldbuilding disease
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2019, 05:00:00 PM »
I don't know if my input here is still required, since it has been quite a while since the last post. But to throw in my own two cents, I personally would advise you to start your protagonist on even footing with his entourage. An infrequently awakening power (be wary of how easy it is to misuse this as an Ex Machina) should already give him kind of an edge in some situations and the small divide in power makes character development and actually suspenseful rivalries much easier, while also preventing the protagonist from being perceived as a Mary Sue, which can quickly happen if he is already superior to his entourage in fighting prowess from the beginning (Ofc this doesn't HAVE to happen, but be aware that it would make it easier to fall into this pit). About the power level of the fights ... I think this is simply a matter of personal preference. Personally, I would avoid DBZ-level fights, since I always found it kind of arbitrary, what kind of attacks actually do damage and which don't (standing in a ball of earth-shattering plasma is fine, but a punch to the gut isn't ... well okay.) But then again, there is also a fanbase for that, so decide on your own what kind of story you want to craft here.