July 23, 2019, 12:53:41 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Things happen because people do stuff  (Read 573 times)

Offline legomaestro

• High Chancellor of Righteousness
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
Things happen because people do stuff
« on: November 23, 2018, 11:45:14 AM »
Random thought is random. But what better way than to procrastinate from an important homework assignment than to post layman philosophy on the interwebs?

So after a knock on the door I was surprised by a bunch of kids with one holding a microphone led by a guy I know from church. A sort of Trick or Treat it was, where I had to give something in return of relatively similar value. I almost, at the taunting of a nearby roomate gave away my guitar (I'm weirded out to say it wouldve hurt but I would've been okay with it) but I remembered too late that I broke my mic jack in my PC and nevermind it didn't work in the end.

I said my  goodbyes and the left. And I was just speechless for a moment there. My whole day normally consists of me doing my own thing in my room waiting for the next obligatory class to roll in, but this guy is going around doing this thing that costs him 0 bucks, makes something fun for the kids to do I imagine and even interferes with my legendary hermit bubble.

It made me think: There's off the top of my head about a thousand things I could do for fun that wouldn't change the world per-se, but they'd make things happen.

I'm a very lessez-faire deterministic person. I'm fighting against that tooth-and-nail but that vague cloud of pessimistic "Everything happens to you - you never happen to it." That's the mode I'm always in, really. But seeing this little initiative has made me think, "That can't be quite right."  I mean, my brain knows it isn't right. The forum itself exists because people came together with a small idea and it got bigger. The computer I'm writing on, the table, the pens and pencils, the wine. People did stuff. They didn't have the burden of the entire process of what they'd construct - they just acted and did stuff with what they had on hand and it changes something in reality. You can do things and reality responds.

Sorry if none of this makes sense. Mostly writing for myself? Damn I need a proper place to post this kind of stuff. Facebook seems odd. I'll start a blog or something.

Just my two tambala

Guh. Back to homework.

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
Re: Things happen because people do stuff
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2018, 12:00:44 PM »
Well, that just how live be Lego. But you've hit on something important here. We all have the power to change the world, even in little ways. Hasith and Corycaly made the little step of making this forum, you and I took the little step of joining it. At some point, all of us here have said "I'm going to make something." Be that art or a story. That was another little step. But then we took the little steps of writing just one chapter, or drawing just one page. That lead to other pages, other chapters. We took the little step of posting, and then others took the little step of looking at that thing, and then getting inspired by it.

Our lives are built upon like steps. No single thing a human does is made of one giant step. It's just that we decide to take a lot of little steps. If we make them all in the same direction, they turn into massive changes.

Sure you can't save the world. But you can give a dollar to feed the hungry. The world doesn't need one hero to save it. It needs a million normal people to take just a single step towards saving it. That's as good as Superman any day of the week.

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline bossx5

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2018, 07:14:19 PM »
I feel that way we are of the same mind set. By the way i love going over philosophy but being a hermit or monk whatever you call my life of solitude i dont have anyone to share them with and dont have anywhere comfortable to express them so if you find a place let me know.

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2018, 04:13:23 PM »
That's my line. I haven't even found recrational philosophy forums before. It's a pretty high bar of entry so yeah.

@Coryn word.

Offline MahluaandMilk

• King of Lurking Losers / Fanservice with Legs
  • Resident Witchipedia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2018, 06:09:59 PM »
I mean we can always drunkenly have long Discord or Skype conversations about philosophy and that'll be fine with me. If your ninja butt would ever stay online.

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2018, 02:32:47 PM »
I am truly terrible with social networking. Like horribly bad. But I'll ninja on some time somewhen and maybe we'll meet.

Also I'm a lightweight. I use poetry to explore my themes mostly, and one page rants on paper.