August 18, 2019, 01:09:37 PM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: If "Drawing" was an RPG skill!!  (Read 5002 times)

Offline MahluaandMilk

• King of Lurking Losers / Fanservice with Legs
  • Resident Witchipedia
    • View Profile
Re: If "Drawing" was an RPG skill!!
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2018, 11:23:42 PM »
Bruh I cried the other day because I saw a picture on instagram of a hedgehog lifting its little snoot up towards a bubble and it was too cute and I kind of imploded. I don't think that works.

Offline suuper-san

• I have no idea what I am doing XD
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2018, 05:07:25 AM »
@fro glad you like it :) A writer RPG would be cool with like poems, short stories, total words written and stuff.I was thinking to have the icons changeable anyway as we all study different things and have different aims as an artist, so then it would be usable for writers too.
@Coryn that tears skill is legit true :P
@Mahlua I know what you mean about counting the sketches and hands from a finished piece. I also didn't count them unless it was the point of it. Your "bias" in the skills you feel are important is good to know. I think we all have a bias, based on the direction we want to go. which makes this RPG thing a pain to make usefully usable for everyone >_<
« Last Edit: November 22, 2018, 05:15:48 AM by suuper-san »
Art: Manga / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other | Manga Stories: Overdrive / Endlessness
Other: Tutorials / Craft | Feedback & Critique Welcome!!

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2018, 07:52:59 AM »
@Mahlua: Them was a different kind of tears. These tears would have to be specifically applied towards writing experience, per the game's coding. Special consumable currency as it were.

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline suuper-san

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2018, 09:08:37 AM »
tears of despair, not tears of joy lol

I'm thinking I want to have a bar that shows the stat level, not the progress through each level. It's harder to compare numbers than bars, at least for me. If I ever make another version, I'll throw it in as an optional extra.
quite a few to-dos for next version hmmm.
Art: Manga / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other | Manga Stories: Overdrive / Endlessness

Offline Lord Kesashi

• The Cel Shader
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2018, 04:38:14 PM »
I think this is a great and fun idea for the sake of having goals. However these seem more like practice goals rather than skill goals. If the goals are based on skill development, I think we need to define what each goal looks like. For instance, what does a level 3 hand look like compared to a level 2 hand.

I don't think it even needs to be universal, rather, showing how you drew hands when you were level 2 and how you draw them when you're level 3 if trying to illustrate what the goal might look like before you're technically capable of doing it seems too paradoxical.

Then of course we have many media as well as the distinction between colored and black and white, as well as traditional and digital. Your divisions are very similar to how art was taught to me in college. Objects, Environments, Figures, Hands and Feet, Face, and then medium by medium.

Offline legomaestro

• High Chancellor of Righteousness
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2018, 05:50:22 PM »
You're switching the horse and the cart there Kesashi. This is something that counts what you've already done first, the practice stuff was second (and only came up because this topic was thought up by suuper while talking about that sort of thing.) So the RPG meter is not trying to define what each level looks like, but trying to see how much work you've put into which area.

After that, it lets you and critics get a clearer picture on what you could work on more. Plus its fun.

Damn you're an art student too from college? Make a tutorial man. Give us free knowledge.

I'd love to know my Writer RPG skill. I need to make an accounting of how much I've written.

And on the goals for illustrations: I'm still for merciless unreacheable goals but that may be because I'm a masochist lel.

Offline suuper-san

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2018, 05:41:51 AM »
@lego merciless unreacheable goals it is then! as long as someone is alright with it then I'm alright with it :)
if I feel like it, I'll throw a writers version together, although not being a writer I might need some insight on the levels and skills and stuff.

@Kesashi thanks for your insights, however as you noticed, and as Lego says, it's the amount you have done, not your skill level. since as you say, it's very difficult to decide what is a level 2 hand to a level 3 hand (especially as I was aiming at 100 levels), I skipped the issue completely and decided to just document my efforts instead. but in "RPG style", its a "skill" since that's what its called. since practice does inevitably lead to skill, it's not completely unreliable, although some people would need to practice less or more than others for the same level of skill.

and yes, of course, please share your knowledge with us in copious amounts :P
« Last Edit: November 23, 2018, 06:46:16 AM by suuper-san »

Offline Lord Kesashi

• The Cel Shader
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2018, 03:21:56 AM »
Well it's still very interesting. I've personally been broadening my horizons a disturbing amount this past year. I've gotten into jewelry making and photography. I might have to document my experience with everything too.

Give us free knowledge.

I'm paying $20,000 a year for this knowledge to give away for free. You madman.

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2018, 09:29:23 AM »
That'd be college for yah. Also known as "This is cool and all, but definitely not worth 20,000 a year"

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline MahluaandMilk

• King of Lurking Losers / Fanservice with Legs
  • Resident Witchipedia
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2018, 04:01:19 PM »
Just had a thought about how this whole skill thing works, relating to the statement that some people have to practice more or less time than others to achieve the "same" resulting output.

In RPGs, it's common for class distinctions to be made, and in some cases, certain perks come with leveling up as per your class. Some people start to really "get" things after a certain level, and then the growth rate per level, that is, the rate of bonuses per levelling up, also increases drastically, if not exponentially. I could totally believe that art is a skill like that, because if nothing else, we all have our niches. Legos art, Suuper's art, and my art all have vastly different qualities, and in those qualities, or, if you will, within our own styles, we are our own "budding masters".

The reason I think it might be so difficult to put things into "level" boxes is because every person is a class in their own right. I personally feel like I just leveled up with a doodle I saw last night, which makes sense given how close I am to level seven, but my level seven is different from Suuper's and Lego's level sevens, which are different from each other.

It may seem kind of obvious, but I thought I'd share my little mini-epiphany.

Offline suuper-san

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2018, 08:48:54 AM »
$20,000 is a ton of money as far as I'm concerned :P
My college was a lot cheaper for the carpentry course I did.

@Mahlua thanks for your epiphany. that totally fits into the RPG elements of this concept! I have totally no idea how it would play out applied to this if we did try and put a class structure in, but it's totally worth a look into sometime. I think you are right in that we are all our own class. our growth rate will be different for each of our own skills, let alone compared to someone elses. and of course sometimes we do have those moments when we sort of instantly level up because of a new way of thinking or epiphany that we have, so it's not a linear process anyway.

on a similar level, this ties in with core RPG stats such as intelligence and strength and speed and so on.

Offline suuper-san

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 07, 2018, 05:31:13 AM »
well I finally added last month's totals. my level actually dropped since I decided on the extra skills I am studying.
1000 figures only raised my figure level by 3
before and after

Offline The SlamJam

• Artist
  • Does the censor work here? *censored*, *censored*? Ok?
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2019, 02:06:44 PM »
we shoulda done a server reset before New Year and made it a new years reso to start levelling up
check me out on instaslam https://www.instagram.com/artslammer/

Offline suuper-san

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2019, 05:09:12 PM »
@SlamJam
you mean like everyone starts at 0 at the same time? that's a really really cool idea, I would be totally up for that. The only difference I would suggest to make is that the level boundaries would have to be lower to make it possible to reach a high level before the end of the year, otherwise we would barely clear level 10

anyone else fancy doing this?

Offline The SlamJam

• Artist
  • Does the censor work here? *censored*, *censored*? Ok?
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 05, 2019, 06:44:37 AM »
id be alright with the levels being hard to attain! :'D

Make it you gotta actually post everything you do to gain the levels lmao.

Im 100% down for doing this if you want. Maybe just change the weighting of each category - Sketches worth less than finished illustrations, etc
« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 06:46:16 AM by The SlamJam »
check me out on instaslam https://www.instagram.com/artslammer/