March 29, 2024, 01:07:32 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: How To Become A Manga Artist  (Read 10383 times)

Offline GalaxyDreamer90

• View Profile
How To Become A Manga Artist
« on: October 20, 2018, 04:11:34 PM »
I really want to be a manga artist but I doubt I'll ever be successful. My mom even critisizes me saying I don't draw enough to make it as an artist. It's to the point I hardly draw anymore these days for fear of criticism. What can I do? I always wanted to do something creative as a career but it seems so hard. I worry I'll never be successful.

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
  • Anyone need a wall of text?
    • View Profile
Re: How To Become A Manga Artist
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2018, 02:22:58 AM »
it's something I think all artists go though at some point in some form or another.
fear of criticism
It depends what you mean by this, you mean negative criticism as in people saying "your work's rubbish", or "why are you an artist you suck", stuff like that? That's going to happen no matter how good you get, but remember you can't be criticized on what you don't show others. If you practice on your own you will still get better until you feel confident to show others your work. MangaRaiders is probably the best place to post your artwork as we are all beginners and are learning, so you most likely won't get that criticism that you're worrying about.
I worry I'll never be successful.
It is true that you do have to draw a certain amount to be successful. The amount varies from person to person, but you won't get better or get professional doing nothing. Do you have a specific thing in mind when you say you want to be a "manga artist"? having a concrete goal can help you to visualize the steps you need to make it.
My mom even critisizes me saying I don't draw enough to make it as an artist.
That's not criticism, that's advice right there. Even in a comment that seems negative you can find things that can help you. In this case, your mom has an image of the amount of art she thinks you need to produce to be successful. Not drawing for fear of criticism when one of those "criticisms" is that you dont draw enough is a bit of a vicious circle if you ask me.
Art: Illustrations / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other Art | Manga Stories & Projects
Other Stuff: Tutorials / Craft / Cosplay | Feedback & Critique Welcome!

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2018, 09:16:06 AM »
Suuper makes so.e good points. What is your exact plan as it stands? How are you defining "manga artist" even?

Life is such that if you aren't native born Japanese, becoming a traditional mangaka is basically impossible (just take a moment to count how many non Japanese artists have been published in a major manga magazine)

That being said, there are plenty of examples of artists with a manga style making a living for themselves doing other related things. Usually internet based in some way or the other. So getting a clear understanding of what you actually see yourself doing is key.

And while it may sound like she's being harsh, (and obviously I don't know the context) your mother is right that you have to have an absolutely terrifying amount of output to make it as any kind of artist. Even the most famous artists in the world don't really have any down time from making art. If you can't see yourself committing to that degree, than it's probably best to keep art as a hobby, while pursuing a different career. I don't want to sound mean hearted when I say that, I just want to make plain the resolve that course of action requires.

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline GalaxyDreamer90

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2018, 01:33:24 PM »
I really cant see art as just a hobby. It's something that I really want to make a career out of. I guess because I had a few odd jobs before and hated everyone of them. Because of that I see myself getting easily bored with any other kind of job. Maybe my mom is right and I need to draw more but I just have so much trouble focusing that it makes it hard. Not that I dont like art but I just have a really short attention span.

Offline Coryn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2018, 10:08:45 AM »
That's definitely something which is detrimental to any kind of career. Luckily it's something you can work on, but it is definitely important that you do.

Good luck!

Offline GalaxyDreamer90

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2018, 10:27:35 AM »
I just don't know what to do. I really don't want another boring odd job. The last job I had I was working as a dry cleaner. It was so boring. One day my boss had me polish shoes the whole time I was working. I hated it so much I quit after only 2 weeks. Since then I worry that any other job I get unless it's being an artist will be just as boring as my dry cleaning job. That's why I really want to be an artist. That's also why I'm going to college so I can improve my art skills and hopefully make it as an artist. But I worry that even with the education I'll never make it as an artist. However, art has been my passion since middle school. I even took a lot of art and English classes in high school. Maybe I should just give up on my dream and get another odd job that I hate, but I really don't want another job that I hate. What's the point of working if you hate your job anyway.

Offline Coryn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2018, 11:57:00 AM »
Work can suck (I've had my share of terrible jobs), but there's something to be said for gainful employment. Or at the very least, enough employment to get by. Unfortunate as it is, people can't just do as they please. Sometimes we have to put ourselves through things we dislike, in order to do the things we do like. You at least have yo have that much resolve. To keep food on the table if nothing else. And a bad job is much better than living in your car.

Offline GalaxyDreamer90

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2018, 02:00:54 PM »
I dont know. True a job, even one I hate, would give me money. But I cant help but wonder if its really worth it. I'm starting to feel money is an evil thing especially if the only way you can do it is by doing something you hate for a living.

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
  • Anyone need a wall of text?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2018, 05:03:43 PM »
I'm starting to feel money is an evil thing especially if the only way you can do it is by doing something you hate for a living.
Well, yes I suppose it is when you put it that way, I can't disagree.

Also, if you're worried about a job being boring, work at a school. You will never have the same day twice, I am sure of that :)

Although your view of "boring" might be an issue, in that you are expecting too much excitement from work. Perhaps looking to find ways to enjoy "normal" jobs might be more beneficial, as you will encounter many tedious and boring tasks, not just in work, but in life, that you will have to deal with, so making the most of them will improve your outlook.

I used to work as a cleaner and I enjoyed it thoroughly as I had empty rooms to work in and I could think about my story I was writing, compose music, think about stuff not work related, precisely because it was tedious. It was almost as if I didn't work at all while I was there in terms of productivity. It's all about your outlook.

If you can find your ideal job, then seriously, good for you. But if you're stuck with less than your ideal job, rather than thinking "how can I get a job that will make me happy", think "how can I be happy in this job now".

regardless of situation, your attitude is something you can always change :)
All the best!
Art: Illustrations / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other Art | Manga Stories & Projects
Other Stuff: Tutorials / Craft / Cosplay | Feedback & Critique Welcome!

Offline GalaxyDreamer90

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2018, 07:55:40 PM »
I'm not so sure I can find anything fun about stuff that's so boring. Besides when I'm bored I also get emotional. I just dong know what I can do.

Offline KeanFox

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2018, 08:09:27 PM »
When you do art for a living, after a while it becomes a job.
Working as manga artist you going to be drawing pages for eight hours a day at least.

About your short attention span. There are things to do like having a workspace with no distractions etc

Offline GalaxyDreamer90

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2018, 08:15:53 AM »
I guess then I better work on my attention span though I'm not sure how. And yeah I could really use a room for my artwork. Unfortunately my dad uses the extra room in the house for his creative stuff (My dad's into still life photography now that he's retired). I guess that's what happens when you got two artist in the same house. I do have plans of hopefully renting a place with my friend soon. Hopefully she will let me have a space for my artwork.

Offline KeanFox

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2018, 03:17:04 AM »
Maybe make a one shot. 5 to 50 pages. To go through the process of writing and drawing a manga to see if this something you will want to do.
There are many types of creative work. Why manga artist?

Offline GalaxyDreamer90

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2018, 10:05:28 AM »
You're right there are other ways to Express my creativity and lately I've been thinking that being an art teacher at an elementary or middle school wouldn't be so bad since I seem to like helping people especially kids and what better way to help kids then to be a teacher. That will mean though that I will have to eventually get my bachelors degree but I have plans of getting a degree after I get my certification anyway.

Offline sketch survival

• I'm Recovering
  • Alignment
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2018, 12:40:36 PM »
Hey man I'm sort of in the same situation. I hate going to university. I just want to be doing manga as a career. This is basically what I'm doing I'm studying to get a user design certificate and a graphic design certificate to get my own job while making my own website this is something I'm passionate about I don't know where this will lead me. So I can advertise my anime and manga stuff there. Since I have never worked before and I'm only 22 pretty sad huh. I might consider creating github.io for my stuff and gumroad too. When I get better. I've been networking with people online with about my manga it's been a interesting journey. I like drawing more than writing its more pleasurable. For me writing is a bit difficult for me but I just want to get on with the story. Plus I haven't been in the right level yet. Hopefully I will with art. I've been doing online courses for drawing and might consider doing visual drawings while reading my favorite manga. I have my own website and I might consider doing youtube for drawing videos. I basically want my own anime and become a epic mangaka!!
hiding who's going to coach me now?