September 21, 2020, 12:01:39 PM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Suuper's Tip Diary  (Read 15197 times)

Offline Suuper-san

• Professional Overthinker
  • We'll see.....
    • View Profile
Re: Suuper's Tip Diary
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2019, 08:15:41 AM »
@echo yes it's mostly on guidelines that I found myself using it. it's hard to have a slanted drawing when your guidelines are straight, so that's the best time to catch them before you waste your time :P

@lego You'd be surprised how many years went by before I noticed you could do it haha. I may or may not have a tip-book haha. trouble is after the first iteration I realised how little I actually knew about any of the topics I wanted to have tips on, so I sort of put it on the back burner and I add to it and update it infrequently. it will be finished one day XD

and yes, slanting bodies and faces are the enemy.
Art: Manga / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other | Manga Stories: Overdrive / Endlessness
Other: Tutorials / Craft | Feedback & Critique Welcome!!

Offline Suuper-san

• We'll see.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2019, 11:43:47 AM »
Just made this, if anyone fancies using it then go ahead.
x16 pages for thumbnailing for a manga, single page and double spread versions. margins for writing things (although it's a thumbnail  - just write on the page XD)
The resolution is low-ish, because it's only meant to be for thumbnailing. you can resize it yourself if you want it higher, for like writing speech or extra details.

Page proportions should be for A4/A5\A6, but the size obviously isnt.

click to enlarge because I dont like my posts taking up space :P

Art: Manga / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other | Manga Stories: Overdrive / Endlessness

Offline legomaestro

• High Chancellor of Righteousness
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2019, 07:03:49 AM »
I tend to thumbnail with paper, but I'll try one of these out thanks!

Offline Suuper-san

• We'll see.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2019, 07:56:39 AM »
You could always print it out!
The entire page of 16 should be roughly A4 in proportions as well :P
In fact that was my original intention to bind about 100 pages into a book for thumbnailing manga pages on the go but sort of neatly.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2019, 12:58:34 PM by suuper-san »

Offline Suuper-san

• We'll see.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2019, 03:47:26 AM »
This is a quick lace/frill tutorial. When I perfect the method I'll make a longer post so please excuse the berevity.
Hopefully you have some experience with Selections and Paths as I won't go into more detail than necessary
I'm using GIMP but most programs of that level have a similar range of tools.

First create a path that is the route you want your lace to follow (i.e. along the edges of a dress). I use the "lasso select" tool to draw an area, and then "Selection to Path", so I always have a complete loop. You can draw the path using the path tools too.

Alter your brush settings "spacing" to about 95% of your brush width so it dabs down circles rather than drawing a thick line

In the Path options, chose "Stroke Path" and chose the "Stroke with a paint tool", "Paintbrush" Option. Don't emulate dynamics unless you know what you're doing.

bam

Using the same path, go "Path to Selection" and then press delete, to remove the inner semicircles

Now use the "Fuzzy Select" tool to click outside the shape, "Invert Selection" and you will have a cloud shaped selection (as opposed to a whole image selection with a cloud shaped hole in it), "Selection to Path" again.

Change the width of your brush to much smaller than the original brush, maybe 10-15% or so.

"Selection > Select None" if you still have your selection active. Stroke the path you have just created with the smaller brush.
bam. instant lace.

In my case I used a whole loop of a path to begin with, so I erase any extra parts that I don't want

This method of combining paths and selection with the stroke path feature is quite powerful and in testing I have come up with some nice results. But they're saved somewhere I can't find so I'll include them in the larger tutorial later.

Edit: I found one. Before making a path from the selection, I used "selection shrink" to make it smaller, to make the white circles appear inside the main outline. So that's another way that you can play with the Selection and Paths.

Depending on the shape of the brush you use there are an incredible range of styles you can achieve.

Advantages:
-Fast for larger lengths (super useful for small edging that is all over the place)
-Accurate & Neat
-Can produce varied designs

Disadvantages
-Always looks flat
-Slow/Annoying for shorter lengths (a lot of effort for just a tiny piece)
-Lengthy method and difficult to get desired result without practice

Let me know if any of that made sense :P
« Last Edit: November 30, 2019, 08:08:12 AM by suuper-san »

Offline Suuper-san

• We'll see.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2020, 02:45:44 AM »
Just found this nice flowchart program, works online and also with google drive/onedrive
It might be useful for planning things, I dont know what yet, maybe stories or plot points.

https://www.draw.io/

also I do have more tips that I will get around to posting, some are more useful than others haha
« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 02:53:05 AM by suuper-san »

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2020, 06:08:19 AM »
It occurs to me I've never used a flowchart in my life.

Heck this is something so out of my field and simultaenously interesting, that I'll see what I can whip up on a whim with pen and paper. Maybe there's something useful in there.

Thanks!

Offline Suuper-san

• We'll see.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2020, 06:23:10 AM »
I see a possible writing use of describing someones day where they make choices, and you split the path for each decision they make. sort of a layout for a visual novel I guess. Actually this would be great for visual novel planning.

Offline Suuper-san

• We'll see.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2020, 01:25:00 AM »
Did you know that GIMP (and probably other art programs) can add tags to your custom brush settings?

I've been wondering how to use that to my advantage for a while, but it didn't seem useful, until lately, when I have been jumping back and forth between different brush types, like for sketching and then colouring.
So by using the tags and then filtering, I get a shortlist of only the brushes I will be using in that session, making it a lot faster to switch between them.
So it's very useful for improving workflow if you have a default set that you always use a lot.

Here's the adding tags and the filter. If you don't have this window open, you can go to "Windows>Dockable Dialogs>Tool Presets"

You can search multiple tags although I suspect I will tag quite specifically.
I've only used the tagging for one sessions and it's already been super useful

To create a custom tool preset in the first place, adjust your brush settings to how you want them to be, and then click the top right menu button for the paintbrush toolbar.

Then go "Tool Options Menu>Save Tool Preset>New Preset" (Or select one that you want to overwrite)

The save tool preset toolbox will popup. If colour is important to the setting, then check the box "Apply stored FG/BG "
Give it a useful name, although you can rename the presets at any time by double-clicking them
Make sure to press the save button!

Having tool presets for the settings you use all the time can be really useful in having an efficient workflow and working quickly as well.
I've been using them ever since I started working with WIPs. It also saves trying to remember what size you wanted that brush or what your really nice settings were last time you used them.

Also by adjusting your settings slowly over a couple of sessions you can adjust using a new style of brush, I did this with my inking brush as I really couldn't get inking, so I took my normal sketch brush, and adjusted it little by little until it was an inking brush.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2020, 01:30:24 AM by suuper-san »

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2020, 09:59:15 AM »
This sort of labelling and learning of your drawing program is something that'd save me a heck of a lot more time in general. I need more systems in my life. It's amazing how something like this would spare enough mental energy to just get me over that edge between getting a drawing done and rage quitting lel.

Still a photoshop CS2 plebian though lel

Offline Suuper-san

• We'll see.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2020, 10:46:53 AM »
It's hard to tell where the best places to optimize your workflow are, but generally if you find yourself doing something every day, or several times a session, then it's worth seeing if it can be sped up.
Another tip in that regard is using shortcut keys for switching tools so you're always in the zone with your pen hand and don't have to click on the tools to change. And also quick shortcuts for adding new layers and stuff.

Offline Suuper-san

• We'll see.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2020, 05:01:53 PM »
I've been holding out on giving tips lately just because it's a pain to draw up the illustrations to go with the tips, so here's a couple that I jotted down and finally got to draw :P

Using subdivision to get evenly spaced stripes.
By breaking a series of stripes into sections first it's easier to space out the lines inside each section to get them evenly spaced out, especially when they vary in width along their length.
Typically halves or thirds are the easiest to deal with.
You can also space out the sections so one is larger than the others, to give a 3d feeling, which I tried to do in the example.

Drawing stripes without overshooting the outlines
There's quite a few ways to do this (such as drawing a selection first etc), but a way I frequently use is to create a new transparent layer, draw my stripes really quick and overshoot as much as I want, then erase the lines and merge the layer down into the original one. Especially if you are drawing these as an afterthought and your drawing is already crowded with other details this is useful, as you can make edits without affecting the rest of the drawing.

A quick chessboard pattern
Using a semi-transparent brush, draw a row of lines at one angle and then another row perpendicular to that (Where they cross each other it should be darker). Using a select-by-colour tool, pick the middle darkest colour out of the three. Paint your first colour in the selection using a fill tool or brush. Invert the selection. Paint or fill the second colour.
The advantages to this is that you can control the size and direction of the stripes to follow clothing contours etc, so it looks more realistic than just a plain flat pattern.

Drawing an arm from the hand first.
I use this method a lot when I'm drawing props that the character is holding. I draw the hand where I want it first (as long as you know its a possible position to reach), then bisect the shoulder to hand angle to get the elbow position, then draw the arms in. Depending if the elbow is pointing more towards the camera (foreshortening), the elbow position will appear nearer and the arms will appear shorter.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2020, 05:06:41 PM by Suuper-san »