December 09, 2019, 03:45:46 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Suuper's Tip Diary  (Read 4800 times)

Offline suuper-san

• I have no idea what I am doing XD
    • View Profile
Re: Suuper's Tip Diary
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2019, 08:15:41 AM »
@echo yes it's mostly on guidelines that I found myself using it. it's hard to have a slanted drawing when your guidelines are straight, so that's the best time to catch them before you waste your time :P

@lego You'd be surprised how many years went by before I noticed you could do it haha. I may or may not have a tip-book haha. trouble is after the first iteration I realised how little I actually knew about any of the topics I wanted to have tips on, so I sort of put it on the back burner and I add to it and update it infrequently. it will be finished one day XD

and yes, slanting bodies and faces are the enemy.
Art: Manga / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other | Manga Stories: Overdrive / Endlessness
Other: Tutorials / Craft | Feedback & Critique Welcome!!

Offline suuper-san

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2019, 11:43:47 AM »
Just made this, if anyone fancies using it then go ahead.
x16 pages for thumbnailing for a manga, single page and double spread versions. margins for writing things (although it's a thumbnail  - just write on the page XD)
The resolution is low-ish, because it's only meant to be for thumbnailing. you can resize it yourself if you want it higher, for like writing speech or extra details.

Page proportions should be for A4/A5\A6, but the size obviously isnt.

click to enlarge because I dont like my posts taking up space :P

Art: Manga / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other | Manga Stories: Overdrive / Endlessness

Offline legomaestro

• High Chancellor of Righteousness
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2019, 07:03:49 AM »
I tend to thumbnail with paper, but I'll try one of these out thanks!

Offline suuper-san

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2019, 07:56:39 AM »
You could always print it out!
The entire page of 16 should be roughly A4 in proportions as well :P
In fact that was my original intention to bind about 100 pages into a book for thumbnailing manga pages on the go but sort of neatly.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2019, 12:58:34 PM by suuper-san »

Offline suuper-san

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2019, 03:47:26 AM »
This is a quick lace/frill tutorial. When I perfect the method I'll make a longer post so please excuse the berevity.
Hopefully you have some experience with Selections and Paths as I won't go into more detail than necessary
I'm using GIMP but most programs of that level have a similar range of tools.

First create a path that is the route you want your lace to follow (i.e. along the edges of a dress). I use the "lasso select" tool to draw an area, and then "Selection to Path", so I always have a complete loop. You can draw the path using the path tools too.

Alter your brush settings "spacing" to about 95% of your brush width so it dabs down circles rather than drawing a thick line

In the Path options, chose "Stroke Path" and chose the "Stroke with a paint tool", "Paintbrush" Option. Don't emulate dynamics unless you know what you're doing.

bam

Using the same path, go "Path to Selection" and then press delete, to remove the inner semicircles

Now use the "Fuzzy Select" tool to click outside the shape, "Invert Selection" and you will have a cloud shaped selection (as opposed to a whole image selection with a cloud shaped hole in it), "Selection to Path" again.

Change the width of your brush to much smaller than the original brush, maybe 10-15% or so.

"Selection > Select None" if you still have your selection active. Stroke the path you have just created with the smaller brush.
bam. instant lace.

In my case I used a whole loop of a path to begin with, so I erase any extra parts that I don't want

This method of combining paths and selection with the stroke path feature is quite powerful and in testing I have come up with some nice results. But they're saved somewhere I can't find so I'll include them in the larger tutorial later.

Edit: I found one. Before making a path from the selection, I used "selection shrink" to make it smaller, to make the white circles appear inside the main outline. So that's another way that you can play with the Selection and Paths.

Depending on the shape of the brush you use there are an incredible range of styles you can achieve.

Advantages:
-Fast for larger lengths (super useful for small edging that is all over the place)
-Accurate & Neat
-Can produce varied designs

Disadvantages
-Always looks flat
-Slow/Annoying for shorter lengths (a lot of effort for just a tiny piece)
-Lengthy method and difficult to get desired result without practice

Let me know if any of that made sense :P
« Last Edit: November 30, 2019, 08:08:12 AM by suuper-san »