December 09, 2018, 11:02:43 PM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: NaNoWriMo 2018  (Read 5408 times)

Offline 50 Words for Paipis

• View Profile
NaNoWriMo 2018
« on: October 07, 2018, 12:12:45 PM »
This is a thread for National Novel Writing Month this year. I have decided to "participate," as I need another creative outlet other than music atm, though I am setting my sights more on a short story or novella - something I will have time to edit; however, I wanted to facilitate more camaraderie this year - discussing ideas and getting feedback along the way. Skype groups of strangers historically don't go well, and I end up having to play mediator, so the "official" discussions ought be held here. However, I encourage PM or Skype discussions with users that you know and trust.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2018, 12:17:07 PM by 50 Words for Paipis »

Offline suuper-san

• Anyone need a wall of text?
    • View Profile
Re: NaNoWriMo 2018
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2018, 05:32:20 PM »
thank goodness it isn't the same month as Inktober haha. I might give this a shot given that it's over a short period of time, I might actually achieve something. I'll probably go for a short(er) amount each day which is probably more achievable. I've got a manga story that I might novelize first which could be fun, and get some thoughts down on paper at the same time. We'll see how worn out I am after Inktober :P

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2018, 07:44:59 PM »
Yeah, I fully realize it's in November. I just wanted to start the thread early bc I've started brainstorming for it.

Offline Manimal Claus

• God Of Yule & Seasoned Greetings
  • We All Love Santa Christ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2018, 09:16:35 PM »
I've always wanted to do something for this but never have the mind to write. I would like to try for sure, I need to push myself to do something other than music as well lol, but it's all I feel in my heart of hearts these days. I don't watch shows anymore and I just barely have the mind to read, I just want to make music. If I get a good enough idea I might try, but it's me so who knows. I really would like to write again.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2018, 09:20:09 PM by Spooky Manimal »

Offline suuper-san

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2018, 02:39:14 AM »
Yeah, I fully realize it's in November.
for a split second I thought you had said this month, and I thought "well blow that", but good good we can plan more this way :P

@manimal yeah sort of same here I've hardly done any writing but I need to do something different, I think my art needs a boost in a completely different direction, so a "short" story , maybe with illustrations that I add afterwards, would be a nice achievement. although that sort of one-mindedness you're feeling will help you to achieve great things I think. it means you're less likely to get distracted and stuff.

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2018, 07:43:02 AM »
I would love to participate, but Lord knows my schedule can't handle it anymore (not to mention my current stable of stories)

I think I will at least try to get a single short story done. Maybe knock one out in a single marathon sprint. I have a few ideas of one day stories I could probably accomplish with a free Saturday.

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline Manimal Claus

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2018, 08:07:41 AM »
I'm starting to think of this now. I really do what to get to writing a story again, I was reading my older stuff and wanted to do something new. I figure if Inktober didn't happen for me, maybe I can try this. and if I finish my next album by Halloween I will have even less to think of.

I really want to a roadtrip themed story, for whatever reason I've always liked the theme. One of my old stories was...Thok's Roadtrip Around The World, on the first message board I went on when I was 10-11. It was about Bionicles going around to like Duluth and New York or whatever in an RV and like Transformers where also there for some reason and Sonic games where mentioned a lot. Also I had a self insert character and other people from the message board where in it as well. It's a...nightmare. But I thought about rewriting it as a joke to read on the Happy Hour with like Yoshiko and Knuckles in it but then I was like...why not make a real story? 

A little bit from my story written at age 11.

Spoiler
Dave:I call shotgun!
Reidak:Here
throws him a shotgun
Dave: not that kind!
Reidak:OHH
Dave sits
Dave:Give!
Thok:Gives him it
Dave:cool!
Thok:Ok we are at Duluth
Ihu:Do we go to a hotel
Thok:Yes
Soon they check into a hotel
At the hotel room
Dave is playing MJ Sonic 3
Ihu is reading readers digest
Reidak is clipping his toenails
Thok is eating a burger
Dave:Wow same game different music
Ihu:No way!
Dave:Ya!
Ihu:Lol

I figure my story will be based on my world as always. In...Kanttila Bay. Maybe a group of 3 college students are eating pancakes at the sauna place when suddenly secret agents invade for some reason and old man Heikki fights them off and takes the gang along in his 70's Ford camper van "The Finncraft" to Destruction Bay in the Yukon to break down on this secret ring of fricking...I don't know yet. Naturally our main guy and girl have a dynamic and I figure there needs to be something silly going on to make it more exciting than, 3 friends drive to the Yukon. So secret agents are a natural element, yes. I want to make a cast of characters that is very Northern Ontario.

I need to think of it more clearly. I find roadtrip themes can be...bad and predictable. I mean sure Are We There Yet? and RV are the only examples I can think of right away, not exactly...great films. I wonder if the theme can work well in a story? Especially if I haven't been farther West than Winnipeg so I can't write about my own experiences at that point. But I have always liked a roadtrip theme, and I figure if the characters have interesting enough backgrounds it can work. and I can put in all the themes I want to as well.   

Just a rambley post, but I do want to give NaNoWriMo a real try this year. The only issue is I don't really know how to actually write in novel format and not like a script....so that will be interesting. I don't read fiction books anymore either.

« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 08:20:27 AM by Spooky Manimal »

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2018, 07:36:41 PM »
lol, didn't take them long to get to Duluth.

You know what this means. You've got to do some research. Search imdb for some well-liked roadtrip movies and watch them. I remember liking Paper Moon a lot when I watched it years ago.

I am thinking about taking the same approach I did with a short story I submitted for the review swap in which I focused on a handful of characters and derived the plot/themes from them using super secret cryptic graphs and charts. I am not huge into that story, but that approach seemed to juice as much as could be juiced from those characters. I'm thinking it will be less of a comedy, but I'm not sure.

I have a few characters in mind. Most of them are super cynical tho, and I don't want all my characters to be that way, and I don't want to create some half-assed manic pixie dream girl or something.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2018, 07:41:29 PM by 50 Words for Paipis »

Offline Manimal Claus

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2018, 10:46:26 PM »
Ya it's going to be tricky for me. I know what themes I want to have, because they're also my lyrical themes of the last few months. I know what dynamic I want between the guy and girl. I know what "aesthetic" I want for the story and general framing. But...I don't know as well how to put it all together and pace an actual story.   

I have so many ideas and given how many characters I have met and regularly interacted with this year on the job I have come to realize things about people and myself I haven't before and got so many ideas for how to take traits of people and my own narratives I come up with and use them. I just wonder how can it work in a story. I think yes, I need to watch more things to understand the basics of a story again, since I've been out of it for so long. 

But when it comes to writing a story, it feels so hard to put things together in a competent manner. But that's the point of stuff like this, if I write something atleast it's doing something.

Oh ya the review swap which I totally read everyone's stories and got back to...yup, what a time...I kinda remember what yours was though. I will say I am curious to see what you come up with.

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2018, 07:11:01 PM »
It's that month and I have no idea what I'm doing.

Offline suuper-san

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2018, 07:24:42 PM »
lol
I think I'll give it a miss this time round after all. too busy and my art is taking the rest of my time. all the best to all the participants!

Offline Manimal Claus

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2018, 10:04:12 PM »
Yesterday I tried to write a start and I was like, oh no.

I realize pretty quickly how hard this is going to be for me. However, I figure I'd better do something instead of nothing so I think I'll tough through the opening to see where it goes. But likely I'll scrap my idea for something like I had written in the beginning of the year about a small strip mall. In fact I think I will do that because this great roadtrip idea of mine will plainly not work like I intend.

Offline MahluaandEggnog

• Queen of Lurking Losers / Ms. Fanservice
  • Resident Witchipedia
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2018, 10:14:25 PM »
Haven't really read the whole thread so this one is going to be a little out of place.

I don't like a lot of the rules and tricks NaNoWriMo sets up because the "official" rules promote some pretty bad writing. I get that the point is to have every word feel like an accomplishment, but I'm more of a quality over quantity kind of person. I'm also somewhat annoyed that it has to be a project you haven't worked on before...

But enough with the official rules. I'm sure that if I get Reset done like I planned (hey, what's that, you might ask? Well, well, let me just bump you on over to Ecchiworld to find out), on top of the script I need to get written for yet another diddly-darn cosplay show, I'm sure I'll have a high enough wordcount to place. I might keep track of that. Might not. But I have been keeping track of the wordcount on Reset, which is currently sitting at sixteen chapters and 26,230 words, showing promise of reaching up to 30 chapters. Then there's that other thing I'm working on, and a sort of epilogue of sorts for Reset, and I swear to the gods if Le--I mean, Rubix doesn't finish up Vouyer Corps, I'll do it for him!...Eventually. Probably not all in November.

May not be NaNoWriMo plans, but there are my writing plans for November.

Offline suuper-san

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2018, 10:36:59 AM »
As long as you're productive I think it's a great idea to change the rules (Unless you actually wanted to compete). It's better that you are productive for yourself as a priority I think.

Offline midsummer_feast

• Let's drink and enjoy our lifes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2018, 11:18:01 AM »
Decided to participate...
wrote around 3 200 words yesterday... started the program today and there everything is gone...
I seriously hate my Pc from time to time... and this is one of the times...

reality sucks...
Still, I won't give up. YET...

wishes those that participate good luck ~ =^,^=

:ohmy:
I am a somebody, that ainĀ“t nobody. In different from everybody... anybody?..
my work:
https://www.facebook.com/novelmidsummerfeast/?eid=ARAyCXf3CG9fpTKu_S56vdbuYs4geoIy0wXTo7QLjF3K1C9NbwiKcKS2L9hb3lNs6JZPhNU_3YNMlT0I
It might be bad, but it's MY BAD... =^,^=