October 15, 2018, 04:22:44 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: For those who wonder "Will I ever get good?"  (Read 421 times)

Offline suupertramp

• Anyone need a wall of text?
    • View Profile
For those who wonder "Will I ever get good?"
« on: August 22, 2018, 03:04:13 PM »
Just thought to share this great post I found on DeviantArt.
I know a lot of you raiders worry if you will ever be as good as "those artists on XYZ site", and especially if you browse a lot you can see this absurdly great artists chrning out something awesome every day and think that you're not cut out for art, or it's impossible for you, so have a read of this, it might help.

https://www.deviantart.com/raining-petals/journal/Perfection-in-Art-744360834

The post is great because it has a lot of comparisons of old to new artworks from different artists on DA who are now good, but produced work that has a quality I think we can all relate to a lot better.
just one of them in case you fancy a peak

Its actually got comments from those artists as well and their advice, so you're getting advice from the very people who struggled to get to where they are now, from where most of us are currently at. SO it's really practical stuff.

Hopefully it helps someone or more than someone and that would be great  :dance:

In fact, I think an MR Advice Anthology would be a great item to have, especially with a bunch of before and after pictures of artwork from our own members, and a quote paragraph from them with their personal struggles and advice. I think we could all use a boost at times. I will probably kick this off at some point but if someone else wants to start it off earlier then feel free. (But I'm still taking credit lol)
Edit: well I started it off, see http://forums.mangaraiders.com/index.php/topic,19285.0.html
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 04:08:42 PM by suupertramp »

Offline Lord Kesashi

• The Cel Shader
    • View Profile
Re: For those who wonder "Will I ever get good?"
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2018, 03:28:49 PM »
It's definitely a skill that matures over time. You never really know where it's going to take you.

Offline suupertramp

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2018, 03:39:40 PM »
Yeah I totally get the feeling lately that my art is taking me in a direction regardless of the direction I want to go lol

Offline eldritchmaestro

• High Chancellor of Horror
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2018, 05:49:57 PM »
Encouraging stuff, but I'm a pro pessimist when it comes to this sort of stuff. If there's any improvement to my art, then it's nothing significant, and definitely not enough to enable me to do what I really want with it. It'd be nice if a day came, but till then it's draw draw draw.

Offline suupertramp

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2018, 06:36:47 PM »
pro pessimist
You want to fix that first before you work on your art!!!!
I know the feeling though. Artists are stereotypically self-critical regardless of actual personality traits lol.
draw draw draw.
I couldn't agree more

Offline KeanFox

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2018, 09:01:38 AM »
Don't neglect the importance of tools. There is the saying that you make the are not the tools. It's true but I think the tools are a part of making your work look a certain way

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2018, 09:03:19 AM »
A carpenter does not blame their tools, but you certainly can't build a wardrobe with baby's first tool kit TM either. You got to have the right stuff for the job.

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline suupertramp

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2018, 10:44:25 AM »
That's totally true. I would also say method is a type of tool in a bizarre way, because an experienced digital artist could use my current setup and produce better/faster work than me because they just know how. not how they can draw better, but they use the tools better.

A carpenter does not blame their tools,
I always say this and it's so true. Although a saw that don't cut, don't cut. wrong tools don't help either. Like you try and cut a mortise and tenon with a knitting needle without blaming your tools. So if somethings going horribly wrong, its probably not the tools that need blaming, its you for choosing the wrong tools.

but you certainly can't build a wardrobe with baby's first tool kit TM either.
I have mixed feelings on this sentiment, although it is true the way you say it. I mean that skill can make up for a lack of certain tools, or the quality of tools, but its not applicable in every circumstance. Like a skilled carpenter would struggle without a saw (seriously how would you even cut the wood?), but could probably make do if need be without a ruler (using his hand or fingers to measure distances). it completely won't be as good as if he did had a ruler, but some tools have an inherent ability that can't be reached with skill alone.

You got to have the right stuff for the job.
that is always the BEST situation, but not necessarily the ONLY situation, as explained above. more like my stubborn wishful thinking than the actual truth though I must admit :P

Bleedproof paper is maybe one of those probably-can-get-by-without-if-absolutely-necessary things , but if you want colour then you need coloured pens or pencils, just a black pen wont make your work have colour. I cant think of a digital alternative.

Offline Coach Fro

• Head Coach and Founder of The MR Fighters Division
  • Coach by day, Gravedigger by night...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2018, 08:53:51 PM »
Truly inspiring stuff for sure. I gotta say though, some of those "before I got good" sketches still looked pretty damn good.

Thanks for sharing this Suuper! It's always reassuring to see things like this.
Messatsu...

Offline suupertramp

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2018, 07:10:29 AM »
Glad you like it!
Yeah I thought some before-sketches were on the good side too. Obviously they didn't go far enough back!
Even with my infinite optimism I get down at times, so it's good to know that almost all artists started out as bad as I did and got better through effort and hard work, not magically though talent(tm)