September 23, 2018, 04:16:53 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Blood Junkies  (Read 361 times)

Offline Hammilton

• View Profile
Blood Junkies
« on: July 31, 2018, 08:37:42 PM »
This is the prologue to Blood Junkies, the story I was working on a few years ago when I first joined.  Practiced a lot in order to get good enough to make something people would want to read.  Unfortunately it's not lettered, I can't figure it out. But I think you can understand the scene without it.

Anyone interested in working with me on this story, lettering and preparing for print ( plan to print a 64 page prestige format book at the end of the year, hopefully.

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
Re: Blood Junkies
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2018, 08:40:59 PM »
cool stuff! congrats on working up to your goal!

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline Coach Fro

• Head Coach and Founder of The MR Fighters Division
  • Coach by day, Gravedigger by night...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2018, 09:35:56 PM »
There's definitely some evil revolt going on that's for sure.

It would be nice if there were words accompanying the panels to let the readers know what's going on. Regardless, the art is really good. Keep it up man! 
Messatsu...

Offline Hammilton

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2018, 07:01:07 AM »
Yeah I agree completely.  This is only the prologue to a much larger story and it'll have words! 

I have had little luck finding someone to do the lettering but might have found a solution.  The guy (@tomcapung on Instagram) who turned my storyboards into rough pencils has offered to do the lettering but I'm I've gotta see how they look.  If it's anything like his finished work I'm sure I'll be super impressed.  I've talked to  few ostensible letterers in the past few days and been thoroughly disappointed.  A guy yesterday wanted 20 a page and sent me a sample with every bubble being a simple oval with super thick lines, filled with a pain Arial font with a lot perfect left justify.  I'm willing to pay a fair price for lettering but I wouldn't pay 10 cents to have my page ruined with that garbage.  When I complained about how the left justify required a larger bubble and resulted in a big white space he told me it was only covering useless art.  🤷???😡

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2018, 07:40:51 AM »
Honestly the best course may be to just get in there with mangastudio or some similar program yourself.

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline suupertramp

• Anyone need a wall of text?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2018, 09:01:07 AM »
I love the explosion on the first picture! Such an awesome impact :P

In the event you do try and do it yourself, heres my experience:
I use GIMP for my entire art, including speech bubbles. I have a fairly unique way of making them that I haven't seen done by anyone else yet.  I draw the shape I want for the bubble in complete black, so it looks like a solid black circle with a black triangle popping out of it. I then select the shape and shrink the selection by a few pixels, and paste white. You get a perfect outline of a speech bubble. see https://youtu.be/niiqUwkKSkQ?t=2m53s  @2:53 I start the bubbles. Its very quick as it's a time-lapse, but I love this method as it works for any shape you can make.

I would offer myself but I think my quality is not as good as you would like. see my Overdrive manga here or in my signature. PM me if you are interested anyway :P

otherwise very nice art, and well done for getting a long term project finished! I love the colour inserts in the black and white, especially since they are bright explosions/effects which are worth colouring in for impact! Your practice has paid off :P

he told me it was only covering useless art
Uhhhhh yeah don't pick this guy lol

Offline Hammilton

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2018, 10:51:42 AM »
No, I think the lettering in your story looks good.  I'd want different fonts for my story but I think that you made a good choice for your own.  I think mine needs thinner characters, not so bold, but with a few exceptions I think your bubbles look good.

I've tried with clip studio (formerly manga studio) and hated it.  It seems like something that should be easy to do but difficult to master but I can't figure out how to form bubbles and getting letters in them is a struggle and then I hate the fonts.

I had a bit of a huge disappointment this morning though.  I was thinking last night that I really should have put another page in there before the last one so I did some loose pencils this morning to see if Tom could improve on them and then went to start on inking the first page of chapter 1.  When I was getting the penciled pages out I realized that I actually had six pages not three, flipped through them and found three more prologue pages.  Must have put them in the wrong pile and forgot about them.  Hope to get them done in the next week and a half, this opening scene makes a lot more sense and flows way better with them.

I'm glad to hear you like the watercolor use.  I think they make the pages look a lot better give them a lot more energy.  I haven't decided yet how I should use them in the rest of the book.  I wasn't sure how they'd turn out and I was really nervous about trying something I hadn't done before on my only copy.  I'm constantly telling myself that I'm always one step away from having to redo everything if ink drips or my water spills

Offline suupertramp

• Anyone need a wall of text?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2018, 02:45:52 PM »

like everything else, it's probably a learning curve. hopefully you get the hang of it if you decide to do it yourself.

I get what you mean about the traditional risk of art, it's probably something that you never fully get used to. I'm a bit of a worrier myself in that regard :P

the only trouble with colour, if you can call it that, is that to print colour in an actual book will cost a lot more than a black and white one. Although since you are going for prestige format anyway, I can't say I get the feeling you are going economical :P

Offline SoulScopes

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2018, 01:56:18 AM »
I really like this! Even though you said its older your revisions make it look great!