October 22, 2018, 07:51:05 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Robo's Portfolio  (Read 572 times)

Offline Robo

• View Profile
Robo's Portfolio
« on: July 25, 2018, 10:15:41 PM »
So I'm fairly new to this site, and figured I'd start here by sharing some of my work. I love feedback and critiques on how I can improve.
It wasn't until December of 2017 that I got back into drawing after a long hiatus throughout my highschool life. I stopped drawing seriously and consistently towards the end of middle school and early highschool and took up gaming as an addictive past-time. I'm 22 now, and I've recently reprised my love for drawing. I was always a fan of manga and that's really the style I took up as a template for line-work and shading. Although I'm upset I've gone years without progression, I somehow was able to start off on a level I wasn't aware I was capable of. It seems as though now that I'm older, I have better judgement on form and aesthetics. I'm not perfect and I will always see flaws in every drawing I make, but over the past couple months I've seen a large improvement with my outcomes. Growing up, I was always a fan of Naruto, especially the earlier series. So forgive me if most of my drawings revolve around that.

These will be posted in order of oldest to newest. Sadly since I've scrapped nearly every manga-inspired drawing I've made in my past, we won't be able to compare that subject.

--------------------------------------------

The first one I'm going to post is dated back to 2010. Simple drawing, nothing special. Thumb on one hand is backwards, and as you can see I liked drawing flames as any youngster does.

The next was probably the last one I made with higher effort before my long break, which was way back in 2011

This next one is a recent one and the first of multiple drawings I've done since late 2017. Standard pencil drawing. Rock Lee, to this day, has remained my favorite manga character.

This time I figured I'd start using bold dark lines with gel-pen to capture the essence of manga artwork.

As opposed to the above, this one was drawing on paper, then reworked on photoshop so I didn't have to cycle through pens when they'd run out lol. I wasn't too happy with the eyes, but I figured I wouldn't change it so I can look back at this and see my mistake. To this day I do not have a drawing tablet, so all of this is tediously done with a mouse... Though I have to say I've gotten faster with it recently. Plan on saving up for a tablet in the near future.

Another drawing with digital rework. I was more happy with this for some reason, even though some of the linework is sloppy

This one fooled a few people on reddit into thinking it was a real manga-panel and I was a little proud of that. But I have to say, Sasuke (bottom character) has a bit wide of a face, and one of his eyebrows is wonky. Also I wasn't good with ears, and I still have a little trouble with them, but I'm slowly getting better.

This one took a good while with the background being colored in with gel pen. I'm indifferent about this one. I like it overall, but feel as though the character looks stiff, the knives are too 2-dimensional, and the background feels more of a backdrop than the actual setting.

Next one I tried to improve, yet simplify the background and surroundings. I was more happy with the tree in the background than anything. The drawing of the character seems kinda weird, his headband seems too slanted even for the angle, the hand looks strange and deformed, and the tree in the foreground looks flat. Also the hatching doesn't seem very manga-like in some places and is rushed.

I'm much more happy than I am disappointed with this next one since it marks the first drawing I've done with characters correctly embedded into the environment. Though it still has flaws like size proportions scaled with distance for characters, the steam not being drawn well, and a few other things, it served as a pretty good benchmark to improve on.

Don't feel like commenting much on this one. I think it looks pleasing to look at, but suffers from proportions and shading inconsistencies.

This one took a little bit of reworking as I drew his head a bit too long but in the end I was proud of this after it was fixed. One criticism I'll make of the end product is the lack of detail on some of the wall and some issues with depth with the background. I should have used a point-perspective instead of free-handing.

For once I draw something outside of Naruto! No way! For this one I focused on dynamic movement, speed blurs, and a angle. His closest knee seems a bit too bit, and his hand above the ball is at a strange angle. his 4 fingers should be facing more towards the viewer and not off to the side when dribbling the ball.

This one turned out pretty clean, but my major gripe is that her head seems a bit big. But for some reason I liked it so I didn't change it. In the context of the series, her head is larger here. But in terms of manga, plenty of manga draw their characters heads large so I figured it just fits with a different style.

This was a drawing done with reference for a friend's WoW character.

This next one is actually older than most of the work here, but seems consistent to post since the above is in line with my World of Warcraft works. This one was done for a team in an annual tournament. I used wow model viewer for the characters and their gear, but completely reworked the colors, shading, added a background, and a vector in the end.

[/img]

Ahhh. Probably my most challenging piece in recent memory. This went through multiple iterations, but it pleases me that it was finished. The character poses were a bit difficult to land.

Here's an attempt to draw a manga spread. While I'm happy with how it turned out, I regret not adding a background in the lower panel. I'd rather not go back and worry about it, because it still looks good imo. People told me they were happy I made this since certain characters like Kurenai never really had much spotlight.

Fish-Eye! Inspired by one of my favorite arcs in the series, I was itching to draw this. Of the multiple angles that was given in the manga and anime, I decided to go for something a little more skewed to make it unique.

« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 10:21:23 PM by Robo »

Online SpartanGSab

• View Profile
Re: Robo's Portfolio
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2018, 02:43:30 AM »
Cool art style and theirs always room for improvement so dont give up

Offline MahluaandMilk

• Queen of Lurking Losers / Ms. Fanservice
  • Resident Witchipedia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2018, 07:36:52 AM »
Man, you really got Kishimoto's style down. We've got a few Kubo-inspired artists around here, but even they aren't on this level.

Not gonna lie, I just about fell out seeing Anko. You wanna talk about underappreciated and not nearly enough screentime? Friggen Anko man. I'm definitely impressed that all of the digital work is done with a mouse, for sure, and I never thought about using gel pens to mimic the manga appearance. I personally had always used pigment liners and brush tips.

There's definitely room for improvement, but that's true of all of us. I'd love to see what you could do stepping out of Kishimoto's shadow and drawing your own characters more. Not because fanart or stylistic similarity is bad, of course--I just think it would be interesting.

Offline Robo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2018, 02:34:38 PM »
Man, you really got Kishimoto's style down. We've got a few Kubo-inspired artists around here, but even they aren't on this level.

Not gonna lie, I just about fell out seeing Anko. You wanna talk about underappreciated and not nearly enough screentime? Friggen Anko man. I'm definitely impressed that all of the digital work is done with a mouse, for sure, and I never thought about using gel pens to mimic the manga appearance. I personally had always used pigment liners and brush tips.

There's definitely room for improvement, but that's true of all of us. I'd love to see what you could do stepping out of Kishimoto's shadow and drawing your own characters more. Not because fanart or stylistic similarity is bad, of course--I just think it would be interesting.

This was such a great reply, thank you.

Yes I do feel in his shadow somewhat since my art's attention is highly dependent on a particular fan-base. So I'm very much willing to change course and draw more of my own.

That said, I've come to the conclusion that my artstyle isn't so much mimicking Kishi (to which before I thought it was), but more-so inspired. You see, of the manga art I've drawn, 95%+ has been Naruto when I was young because I had such a loving for it's artstyle and world. Just as Kishi's artstyle was pretty reflective of Samura's "Blade of the Immortal".

I've always been pretty narrow in terms of interest of entertainment. If I'm hooked on something, I typically don't pay attention to anything else in that category until my interest has died down. Just as I am with manga/anime, I am with videogames (Halo, now WoW). So when all you know is the sword, it kinda becomes second nature.

On a side note, I wouldn't recommend Gel Pen for anything more than a small-scale drawing with relatively low shading needed. The small point isnt great for filling in black unless you're just doing hatch-work. I've recently bought sharpie pens and other things to make up for what gel pens can't do.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 02:40:22 PM by Robo »

Offline MahluaandMilk

• Queen of Lurking Losers / Ms. Fanservice
  • Resident Witchipedia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2018, 03:35:03 PM »
Like I said, I don't think there's anything particularly bad about having an inspiration or a heavy stylistic resemblance, especially when it comes to the greats. After all, they're "the greats" for a reason. In fact, I think it's better for you to be working with art that you actually like and are entertained by. Some of us old farts around here forgot what that's like.

Sharpie pens are fantastic, especially if you can buy them in bulk. I just personally go with pigment liners due to the variation in tip sizes and the lack of smell. I also find that Sharpie products, including the fine tip pens, are prone to splitting and/or streaking on occasion, so be on the lookout for that.

Keep on having fun, mate. I'll definitely be keeping my eye on this thread for more updates.

Offline suupertramp

• Anyone need a wall of text?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2018, 03:56:35 PM »
wow so much Naruto!
welcome to the forum, Robo. Maybe make a welcome topic to tell us more about yourself here!!
I generally don't comment too much on how to improve on first posts, as they often include older stuff that you have already improved on since. But so far a very nice consistent style, and very suitable for manga pages. I found some of the poses a little off, but generally very realistic. but I'll post more critiques when you post more stuff :)

as mahlua says, it doesnt matter too much about your style, unless you don't like it yourself. Most of the mangakas studied under someone else and their art closely resembles their sensei, so its not unexpected for us to pick up the style similar to that of an artist we like.

Offline Ryan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2018, 06:13:20 PM »
Good stuff, good stuff, Robo. Looks like you're enjoying yourself here. If you're engaged with what you're doing, keep it going. Take advantage of your hyperfocus.

Quite crazy what you're able to do with a mouse. What software are you using? Although your technique is great, I think it would look even better if you manipulated the brush settings in a software like Photoshop and got a more textural feeling.

I was able to pull this kind of feel off with a mouse. Obviously it's not quite what I think you would go for, but it's an example of what kind of traditional feel can be pulled off with a mouse! I would like to see what you'd be able to manage.

Aside from that I think you are sometimes too concerned with drawing long lines rather than allowing the lines to break up and suggest texture and intrigue. I notice that you are already doing this sometimes and I think the more you pay attention it while you read and study or draw, the better you will get at it.

There are also apps that allow you to draw on a phone! ibis Paint! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AHfAWJf1S8
https://soranews24.com/2017/01/09/japanese-manga-artist-wows-internet-with-lightning-fast-ibispaint-skills-on-iphone-%E3%80%90video%E3%80%91/
Maybe you could try that?

Offline Robo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2018, 06:54:55 PM »

Quite crazy what you're able to do with a mouse. What software are you using? Although your technique is great, I think it would look even better if you manipulated the brush settings in a software like Photoshop and got a more textural feeling.

Aside from that I think you are sometimes too concerned with drawing long lines rather than allowing the lines to break up and suggest texture and intrigue. I notice that you are already doing this sometimes and I think the more you pay attention it while you read and study or draw, the better you will get at it.

There are also apps that allow you to draw on a phone! ibis Paint! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AHfAWJf1S8
https://soranews24.com/2017/01/09/japanese-manga-artist-wows-internet-with-lightning-fast-ibispaint-skills-on-iphone-%E3%80%90video%E3%80%91/
Maybe you could try that?

That's really interesting. I'll have to give that a try. And yeah I really should add breaks in my lines more often. Adds more of a "sketch" look to it rather than drawing on a program. I'm currently using PS CS6

Also here's something I did by hand today. Read some Vagabond and inspired me to draw this.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 07:04:19 PM by Robo »

Offline suupertramp

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2018, 02:48:07 AM »
awesome!
it gives off a very menacing feel, and the intimidating face is great too. I think his left hand isnt quite right. regardless of which way the palm faces, its quite hard to hold something in that position, so it looks a little unnatural. getting swords right on their own is hard anyway because of getting foreshortening right @_@
the shading on the neck is great too, you can really see al the muscles and bits :P

Offline Robo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2018, 04:11:58 AM »
Changin' it up

Offline suupertramp

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2018, 06:28:26 AM »
nice! looks very realistic. No idea if it's a famous person or not as I don't know that many people :P

Offline Robo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2018, 03:00:00 PM »
nice! looks very realistic. No idea if it's a famous person or not as I don't know that many people :P

It's MySpace Tom, lol. It's just an iconic picture since he founded the website and was the first user I think.

Offline OviumNoir

• Power comes in response to a need, not a desire.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2018, 03:03:24 PM »

It's MySpace Tom, lol. It's just an iconic picture since he founded the website and was the first user I think.

LOL Yeah knew who it was straight away, haha how old are you to know this? Probably my age group ;)
Ahh good times  8)
When you TALK, you are only repeating what you already know - but if you LISTEN, you may learn something new.

Offline Robo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2018, 04:16:08 PM »

LOL Yeah knew who it was straight away, haha how old are you to know this? Probably my age group ;)
Ahh good times  8)

22, but I wasn't really old enough to care about myspace at the time. I had dial up internet, so that didn't help, also.

Offline suupertramp

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2018, 03:46:43 AM »
Ahhhhhhhh I see. Nope, still no idea lol
I am really out of touch with who's famous and stuff. partly by choice, partly by not having any time because of drawing so much :P
I see you also copied the text behind him too :P