October 15, 2018, 04:52:41 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Getting fed up with my username & want a website/portfolio  (Read 145 times)

Online suupertramp

• Anyone need a wall of text?
    • View Profile
Getting fed up with my username & want a website/portfolio
« on: July 21, 2018, 12:42:17 PM »
So you may or may not have noticed I'm starting to get annoyed with my username Suupertramp.

Half the problem is that I randomly started using the username Supertramp before I even knew it was an English band, so ended up using a "uu" so I could get a unique username as Supertramp was often already being used by others. Now as an aspiring money grabbing artist I want to avoid anything copyright-ish, and go for a more pro feel.

also "tramp" is possibly offensive and also delf-depreciative which I would like to avoid.

so my other username is flawlessparadox such as on my deviantart, which I madeup ages ago. Its certainly unique, but I think it sounds kinda, like I tried too hard to sound cool and Dr.Who-ish

Over the time I've spent here I get called and have called myself the shortened Suuper which I accept, but is too generic for a website name or keyword and it also feels like a typo (and actually is a deliberate one), which bothers me.

which leads to the next point of wanting a website. Mainly as a profile hub for my different stuff, branding, and having my art portfoilio and manga etc in a nice format.

My actual name is very common but I have 2 fairly unique/foreign middle names which I love (generally I avoid posting my full name online as much as possible). I have tried combinations of initials and my middle names which yields very low results in google, and still sounds like a name but is usernamey which I wouldn't mind, but also rebranding and stuff is a pain as well. And a ton of accounts that I might want to connect (such as soundcloud) I have already use suupertramp or flawlessparadox.

I would love to know what you think, am I am just over-reacting or do I need a nice clean unique username?
Does a username have to be the same all over the web? or at least similar?
Because now is probably the time to sort everything out before I launch myself.

thanks for reading :)

Offline Spooky Manimal

• God Of Thunder & Rock n' Roll
  • We're The Dream Warriors
    • View Profile
Re: Getting fed up with my username & want a website/portfolio
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2018, 12:56:52 PM »
I have issues with my user names sometimes as well! Forever Manimal was my go to until I started making music.

People would for sure see Suupertramp and only think of the band. I think for stuff like this having one name across is good if you're posting art around so people know. It's hard to think of a good name for sure. FlawlessParadox is not bad but it kind of sounds like a generated name of two random words if you know what I mean. Suuper is not bad but some people might think it's a spelling mistake haha.

Usernames are hard. I firmly decided to go from Barry Goldman to Kanttila with my music and Kanttila is just my name plus maybe my family name from long ago Anttila, but it might not be that...either way I choose a random thing with personal significance and went with it. On YouTube I use SuomiSalami which is not the best, but it's the same idea of combining things that only matter to me personally. Although it's just lead to a bunch of Finn kids coming to my videos and being disappointed they are in English. Maybe try that thing with your names and see how it works out. I think one name solid is best, something easy to remember and simple but cool to say.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 12:59:54 PM by Manimal »

Offline MahluaandMilk

• Queen of Lurking Losers / Ms. Fanservice
  • Resident Witchipedia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2018, 01:05:17 PM »
I mean my username is a mixture of a cocktail pun and a joke on the fact that white folks can't pronounce my Hawaiian birthname. Coming up with unique usernames is hard. I feel like it's not something that other people can choose for you. It's gotta be something that you wanna be called, sort of a nickname for yourself, by yourself.

Puns, favorite colors, animals, seasons, foods, and etc. can be good starting places. Fiddle around on a piece of paper. Write a bunch of nonsense names. Say them all out loud. Either go with the one that sounds stupidest or best. Show some friends what you've come up with.

If you want an old tossout, one of my drag name ideas before settling on Evan Essence was Blaze Greenman, going for that durr hurr 4/20 joke. Another dumb one was Dick Richardson. Aren't we all glad I listened to my friend's suggestion instead?

When all else fails, random name and object generators are your friends, really.

Offline devola

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2018, 04:35:41 PM »
If you want good exposure and to get your work out there, a unique username certainly helps. I don't think it's the be all end all but it doesn't hurt. As for your own username, I don't know the band and I think everyone on the internet is at least a little bit spicy so I don't think your username is bad at all. If you want to work professionaly though, a more professional sounding username helps a lot.

Take a look at some of the major artists out there, they either use pen names (which are more or less cooler sounding real names) or their usernames are simple. Kawacy, Krenz Cushart, Wlop, RossDraws, etc etc. Very straightforward names, and in the case of RossDraws there is no doubt what he does right?

That being said, you should try to use the same username across all platforms where you post your media (unless you want to distinguish your work, like say you draw hentai and you don't want that attached to your concept art).

All in all, I think your username works just fine but you could go for something a bit more professional sounding if you want to improve it more. My go-to username is very generic so I can't use that (couldn't even use it for this forum), instead my "art" pseudonym is Manaburst which is a skill name from the Fate series lmao.

Online suupertramp

• Anyone need a wall of text?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2018, 01:14:30 PM »
@manimal yeah the random combination sort of nags at me every now and then. I might end up changing again afterwards as I reinvent myself over time anyway so I'm not tragically worried like the name of my newborn child or something XD

@mahlua thats a cool way of thinking of it as your own nickname. interestingly my name actually is Richard so there you go :P

@devola yeah I'll have a glance around at others and see what sorta names they got too. A unique one would definitely be cool. Something that won't get picked by someone else at least for most platforms would be great.

ok I think I have something to go on. I'll let you guys know what I come up with :)