March 29, 2024, 05:09:12 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Doctor's orders too hard to fulfill (question about dogs actually...)  (Read 7480 times)

Offline Crystal (BobbyjoeX)

• o-o
  • no idea what i'm doing anymore
    • View Profile
Re: Doctor's orders too hard to fulfill (question about dogs actually...)
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2018, 05:43:41 PM »
Update, the Local Humane Society is terrible

so mom calls about getting a dog, the woman said they only had 2 dogs... big dogs might i add, one was returned multible times due to the dog not being friendly with the people that adopt him.

the site lists dogs already adopted.... ok? mom checks local newspaper, newspaper says Humane society is up to their eyes in dogs cause no one is adopting, we call again and they once again tell us they have no dogs... we mention the article and she denied it... well *censored*

other than that, the search got a little better after i put an inquiry up on Facebook... that glitchy, glitchy *censored*ing site...

so thats the update, hope you guys are having a good day XD

Click the Banner to Read

• o-o
    • View Profile
Re: Doctor's orders too hard to fulfill ( BACK TO THE COMMISSIONS)
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2018, 06:44:22 PM »
guess whos going to commission to raise money for a dog!.

so since the last time we talked, someone was going to give us a dog, we met the dog we loved the dog but..... the seller didnt tell the entire family since it was their dog persay, figured the rest of the family wouldnt care, unfortunately the sellers kid didnt like it and took the dog and moved out of town. since me and my mother loved this dog and hope to see the dog again, we wanna stay in touch with the former seller cause we liked them too XD

this person made us have one decision after the hysterical dust settled and actually, this was mom's choice cause i think she needs a dog as much as me. we want a dachshund so i need money..

so... how do i set up commissions?, im going for a $15 per hour since thats minimum wage here, no joke, there has been a part-time job drout here since they established that either last year or the year before XD

anyway, i need to know how to calculate that and also  to get ppl wanting to buy. i hear doing fanart atract people to you but... im not good with fanart, i may have repeated everything, if so im sorry QwQ

Click the Banner to Read

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2018, 10:26:33 PM »
Well, as far as setting them up, the usual advice (I believe) is to start promoting yourself at places where commissions are usually done. Location is important just like any business I suppose. I know Mahlua has really been pushing into that area as well. Hopefully she'll have some better advice than me.

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline MahluaandMilk

• MagicKal#6370 / Fanservice with Legs
  • Resident Witchipedia
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2018, 10:37:38 PM »
Well, as far as setting them up, the usual advice (I believe) is to start promoting yourself at places where commissions are usually done. Location is important just like any business I suppose. I know Mahlua has really been pushing into that area as well. Hopefully she'll have some better advice than me.

Yeah no it's basically scream on social media and constantly upload "new content" and maybe do "free stuff" for people (like raffles) or sale characters as adoptions and whatnot until people start recognizing your name. A lot of artists have success with Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Tumblr (gods forbid), DeviantART, and etc., depending on what they do. Don't do like a megaupload of all your stuff at once. Just kind of slowly upload the old stuff and then get into the new stuff over the course of a few weeks. That way you'll always be on the front page of what's new and people will start to take notice.

Dunno how tf you think you're gonna get paid if you don't use a service like PayPal though.
Haha signature go brr.

Offline devola

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2018, 01:21:16 AM »
The slowly uploading old work trick is definitely a good idea, it can keep your channel consistently updated with "new" content.

I still highly recommend doing some fanart for established franchises if you can stomach it, my most viewed and favorited works on DeviantArt are the Persona and Fate series fan art I've done. This brings a lot of attention to your page and your work, but not necessarily customers. Regardless, people end up seeing my original work and I've picked up at least 1 commission from someone that found my page through fanart.

I've been working away at a few commissions but I got caught up with EVO 2018 over the weekend, but now that that's over I'm back in it and I can definitely say that most of my commissions have come from people I know or have become acquainted with through others. I've only ever gotten 2 commissions from random people that  don't know (and 1 of them didn't pay me, this is another lesson, always take payment first haha). So try and reach out to any friends you might have that may be in need of art. Ideally, if you can find repeat or return customers, that's probably the best situation!

One of my friends is a professional artist and something I've seen her do as well is $5 sketch streams. She starts an art stream entitled $5 sketches, where people pay $5 for a quick sketch from her. I've seen her earn upwards to $80 in 4 hours doing this, though she already has a fanbase to draw from so I'm not sure if you can do this if you don't already have a following. Still it might be worth trying, $5 sketches are low risk for both you and for the customer so at the very least it's easy to do.

Good luck with your commissions!

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
  • Anyone need a wall of text?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2018, 02:41:33 AM »
Don't do like a megaupload of all your stuff at once. Just kind of slowly upload the old stuff and then get into the new stuff over the course of a few weeks.
I concur on this one. Since I do a lot of my art all in one day I will suffer from this as well if I don't pace my uploading over the week. And its gives the good impression of being regular (=reliable), which people like to rely on "oh I'll see what so-and-so has uploaded today". Then they can be confident in your producing of a piece.

Watch out that you don't have an "updates on Mondays and Thursdays" if thats too much for you in the long run. better to underestimate yourself and over-perform, than overestimate what you can do and underperform.
Quote from: Star Trek
James T. Kirk: Mr. Scott. Have you always multiplied your repair estimates by a factor of four?
Montgomery Scott: Certainly, sir. How else can I keep my reputation as a miracle worker?

@devola A cool idea for a low risk low gain $5 art thing. Make sure that you don't put too much quality/time in and undersell yourself which can be an issue when trying to establish proper commission prices. It can also have an impact on your self esteem as well.

fanart is a great idea, ironically one of the few things I want to do lots of, but never feel confident to actually do. As Devola says, people already like the characters and actively search for them, so you do have a much higher chance of being found.

For working out the timing and stuff for payment, try and keep an eye on how long it takes to produce a piece of a certain level. say if it takes 30 minutes for a sketch, then you charge $7.50 for it. 2 hours for a piece? $30. I have seen recommended in a few places to not do "cheap" pieces where you undersell your work, better to either do free or full price. Although I haven't done commissions, I think that's a good idea, others may have actually tried this, or think its a bad idea so it would be great to hear some extra ideas.
Art: Illustrations / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other Art | Manga Stories & Projects
Other Stuff: Tutorials / Craft / Cosplay | Feedback & Critique Welcome!

• o-o
    • View Profile
Re: Doctor's orders too hard to fulfill (DOCTOR'S ORDERS WAS FULFILLED)
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2018, 10:39:43 PM »
hey, hey... hey O^O... i has purppy... hes a little asshole but he mine XD

HERE IS MY UPDATE

Adopted under the name... "Timmy"... this name did not stay with him :/

this little guy came home with me on september 17th of this year AND MAN... for an adult dog (hes 2) i didnt expect to adopt an oversized puppy, and actually, i didnt expect him to be a med sized dog either but i took him anyway cause.... i felt so bad, he did not like the pound at all...

pound listed him with many issues he didnt have but didnt list the problems he did have... they also had him listed as a mix between a dachshund, spaniel, cairn terrier.... he looks like a pure Tibetan terrier tho o-o

he barks, he eats shoes, he goes on a hyper rush, he tires me out, he was never trained by his previous owners, he bites, he pees out of excitement,  but he is slowly getting better.

we found out he may be partially blind... the pound shaved his face and with a terrier, thats REALLY bad, that and he keeps running into things, and has really bad depth perception problems

he also might suffer from early onset hip dysplasia, thank my bro for giving us some of his dog's food that doe have Glucosamin in it

Say Hello To Bailey

he likes my chair.... and he is also slowly breaking it by using it as a spring board when he gets hyper

Click the Banner to Read

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2018, 10:57:26 PM »
Congratulations! He's adorable! It's a shame that he's had some issues, but it's good that he found a home! Hope all goes well with him!

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline Operative13

• Self-Proclaimed Writer and Anime Enthusiast
  • Writer of Caesarea
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2018, 12:40:26 AM »
Glad to see another good soul saving another  ;) You two will be best of buds for the coming years.

Congrats Bobby  :clapping:
“To give of oneself is the noblest of all acts.”

Twitter: https://twitter.com/Ope1ativ3
Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/OPHolden

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
  • Anyone need a wall of text?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2018, 06:03:43 AM »
that's great news! He's adorable!
Art: Illustrations / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other Art | Manga Stories & Projects
Other Stuff: Tutorials / Craft / Cosplay | Feedback & Critique Welcome!