March 29, 2024, 12:42:21 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: First Comic Con  (Read 3190 times)

Offline GalaxyDreamer90

• View Profile
First Comic Con
« on: July 19, 2018, 08:28:21 AM »
It's that time of year and a friend who I did photography for her wedding has invited me to our local comic con this weekend and I'm really thinking about going especially since there will be comic book artist there. Also there will be some local artist there who I can ask about opportunities for artist in my area. I'm not confident enough to cosplay though there will be a cosplay contest. I'm sure I dont have to cosplay if I dont want to anyway. Though I'm excited I'm also nervous since this will be my first comic convention and (I'm ashamed to say it) I have major social anxiety. Hopefully I can get past that because I really think this would be a good opportunity for me. 

Offline MahluaandMilk

• MagicKal#6370 / Fanservice with Legs
  • Resident Witchipedia
    • View Profile
Re: First Comic Con
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2018, 08:35:06 AM »
I'm pretty glad that my first few cons were small local ones. I will say, though, that it probably isn't a super duper smart move to like, try to talk to the artists at the artists' alley of the con about working with you unless you have money like, on the spot and ready for them to get started working with you. Otherwise, it comes off like you're asking for free stuff, and that's a big no-no. I don't know that anyone would, but some cons have rules against "haggling vendors" for any reason, and like, they could legit call security and have you kicked out of the entire con (with the potential of no refund) if they're that kinda person, so just be aware of that.
Haha signature go brr.

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2018, 10:33:55 AM »
Yeah, if you are interested with working with anyone there, just put it aside for now, talk about art, get yourself a business card, maybe buy a print. You can't just rock up and start a collaboration.

But cons can be a good time, especially for the socially awkward. After all, it's a convention for comic books, I guarantee you won't be the most socially awkward person there. Everyone is just there to enjoy their shared passions. And honestly, you don't have to talk to anyone, you can just be a fly on the wall. Big crowds mean you can just blend in and experience it (although you will definitely be accosted by the occasional merch vender. They're like sharks. Don't make eye contact)

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline MahluaandMilk

• MagicKal#6370 / Fanservice with Legs
  • Resident Witchipedia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2018, 10:45:43 AM »
Yeah a lot of merch vendors upcharge the everloving crap out of their stuff. I saw one selling these little dragon models for like forty, ffity bucks even, and I saw a gas station on the way to the con selling the exact same stuff for four to eight bucks. If it looks like medium quality and it's over forty bucks, it's probably a rip-off. If you can't determine quality, probably don't buy it if it's over twenty. But that's just my advice.
Haha signature go brr.

Offline GalaxyDreamer90

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2018, 02:01:43 PM »
I wasnt exactly thinking of working for the artist but asking then advice on getting started in the art field, but I'll just skip that I guess. Perhaps while speaking at the con they will mention about how they got their start as comic book artist. And yeah I agree if the crowd is pretty big and diverse I wont be seen as awkward for bring a wall flower. I'm that way at college and since there are a lot of students at my school and it's pretty diverse the other students dont see me as that awkward. However high school was a very different story since I went to high school in a small town where everyone was pretty much the same and not that diverse my awkwardness and social anxiety were much more noticeable. Of course it didnt help that in high school I would have really bad anxiety attacks in school. I have since learned some skills to cope with my anxiety better but still working on those skills.

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2018, 09:34:38 PM »
Well asking how someone got started is a harmless enough question. Some artists may really like to talk to you about it, so don't shy from that. The problem starts if you're just trying to solicit advice at all cost.

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF