October 15, 2018, 04:35:10 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: How Can I Make It As An Artist  (Read 306 times)

Offline GalaxyDreamer90

• View Profile
How Can I Make It As An Artist
« on: July 14, 2018, 08:46:30 AM »
I really could use some help here. I'm struggling with college and seriously thinking about quitting. However, I don't have much idea what to career wise. After working a couple of weeks as a dry cleaner a few years ago (which I absolutely hated) I want a job I enjoy. The only thing I enjoy and am good at however, is art. Sadly I don't think I can make it as an artist. There is the popular stereotype of the starving artist and not very many artist become well known. Still art is the only thing I've ever enjoyed in life. How can I make it as an artist and avoid the starving artist stereotype.

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
Re: How Can I Make It As An Artist
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2018, 09:21:24 AM »
Well, if you're in school for art, then you should have access to professional artists right there. Talk to your professors, as them about their experiences, and about jobs that you can apply your skills in. If they're worth their salt, they'll help you find a path that could work.

If that falls through for you though, then I would say switch majors rather than straight up drop out. If you can of course, I don't know your situation. But a college degree, even an unrelated one is better than no degree at all. Look around for a major you think is even partly interesting, and go from there.

I can tell you from my own experience that I love my job. But I definitely didn't know what it really was about, or if I'd like it back when I enrolled. But I learned to like it as I became more learned in the subject.

And sometimes you have to remember, that you don't have to be interested in what you do to actually do it as a career. Sad as it is, money still makes the world go round. Being financially stable, even if getting that way isn't super enjoyable, means you can still find your own happiness outside of work. Work to live, after all.

Good luck!

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline GalaxyDreamer90

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2018, 06:55:56 PM »
I talked to my counselor and I see my academic advisor tomorrow about maybe switching my major from graphic design to fine arts.

Offline Robin Ryuu

• Robin Shadow Ryuu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2018, 07:02:35 PM »
Eh, I think you'd have more job opportunities with graphic design than studio art (fine art). I'm a studio art major and the classes are about like oil painting, sculpture building, charcoal drawing, etc.

Our art department only gets like 1 or 2 new freshman a year despite how many hundreds of students join this university each year.

Offline Ryan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2018, 11:22:52 PM »
Being a professional artist is a slow burning career path. Since you're into manga, illustration is the closest to that compared to other visual arts careers like graphic design or trying to be a gallery fine artist. You need to make good work and get your work seen by people who can hire you. There is a lot of work for artists who can be flexible, communicate and draw many things for clients. Video-game concept art and illustration is one that comes to mind.

Gonna be frank with you, most of the education I received as an illustration major just isn't that practical or necessary for becoming a successful illustrator. Draw a lot, study a lot, surround yourself with other artists online who are very serious about improving. Take courses like schoolism. Nobody can teach you to draw well, but if you can manage that, you'll be fine.

Offline eldritchmaestro

• High Chancellor of Horror
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2018, 02:39:17 AM »
Making it as an artist is a lot about how long you can hold your breath under water. Meaning, realistically how sure are you that you'll be able to eat and have a roof over your head without earning a single bit of money from your artistic career? It's during this grace period that you build up your art presence.

Start a blog, get on instagram, make a facebook page and start working on whatever your interested in ... For free. Webcomics are great springboards for artists who want to get proffessional, but it's very key that you gather an audience for as long as you realistically can before you even ask for financial gains from your work.

I suppose it's different for artists that are already pretty good to set up a commission page, but people love free stuff, and so it's better to gain reputation and an actual market before you start selling your work.

This is just us being super cautious and stuff in advising you, but I believe you can do it if you really want it and work hard at it, so cheers to you and godspeed.

Offline GalaxyDreamer90

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2018, 08:23:45 AM »
I know it will be hard to become an artist especially at first when I'm trying to get myself known, but after my experience of working as a dry cleaner I've been very picky about my career path. I really want to do something I enjoy even if it means hardly making enough money. As long as I can afford food and a small apartment to live in I'll be happy for now. I've even thought of renting an apartment with my best friend so we can split the cost of living. Also I'm not entirely sure but I think they are turning this old building in the city I live in into an apartment complex for artist. I'll have to look more into that. I will be sure to start posting my artwork online so I can start getting a following as an artist. Also I see someone suggested becoming a concept artist. I could see doing that since I'm especially good at character design since I usually draw my own characters.

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2018, 09:01:51 AM »
Roommates are a great way to save money. The more the merrier in that instance as well. I would highly recommend it if for you can manage it.

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline Lord Kesashi

• The Cel Shader
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2018, 09:58:50 AM »
Become a video game concept artist, a college art teacher, or get into the museum business.

I don't really know much about the museum business because I was never interested. But I had a chance to hear from artists who run their own business and museum that other artists show their work in. Video games and universities probably have the most money in them for art jobs. There are even artist jobs in the U.S. Army, as well as for hospitals.

You could actually work part time for the U.S. Army/Airforce as an artist and have your tuition and student loans paid off. However, you would still be a soldier first and could be sent to war should there be one. Not just war actually you could be sent anywhere where there's a base whether or not conflict is taking place.

I also hear video game companies make for interesting work places. Perhaps more stressful for artists than other roles, but it could be a very fun job to pursue.

It just depends on where you look. When you think about it, somebody has to draw all those informative pictures in the dentist's office about what a root canal is, and I guarantee you, they don't do it for free.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 07:07:38 AM by Lord Kesashi »

Offline MahluaandMilk

• Queen of Lurking Losers / Ms. Fanservice
  • Resident Witchipedia
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2018, 10:12:07 AM »
Yeah, people do tend to forget about the artists who do those mass-produced instruction manuals and safety advisories, and the people who do illustrations for like, textbooks. It's certainly an idea to look into.

In my experience, probably the only way to make it is all about networking and marketing yourself. How do you make yourself visible and what kind of visibility is it. A lot of "popular" artists that I know are very present on their social media accounts. Frequent updates allow fanbases to sort of grow on their own because like, there's a stream of stuff coming in, and a dash of personal stuff to make the artist feel more relatable and human and it causes some interesting things to happen.

Not that it's my personal experience. I'm still broke as a joke and have only ever had exactly one commission request ever (which I'm still working on).

Offline GalaxyDreamer90

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2018, 06:46:08 PM »
I just talked to my academic adviser and I got some very good news. Instead of getting my degree right now in graphic design I'm going for a certificate in graphic design, which since I have already taken a good amount of graphic design classes I just have to bring up my grade in this one class I'm in this semester and by the end of the summer semester, which will be in a few weeks, I should have my certificate in graphic design. It may not be as good as a degree when searching for a job, but it will still be an accomplishment and I can always get a degree later. Then come this fall I will begin working on an art certificate so I will eventually have two certificates and maybe later a degree, but I'll see what I can get with my certificates and worry about getting a degree if I need to later. And yeah having a friend as a room mate will definitely help with the cost of living but I really think it will just be me and my best friend. I was once roommates with 3 other girls and it just didn't work out very well in the end. And I have been thinking about what I'll eventually do for a career and I'm really thinking about maybe designing characters for video games or animation since like I said earlier I'm good at character design. I've also thought of being an art teacher but at an elementary school then college or university since I'm better with young kids. Also as mentioned earlier I will post my art work more on social media. And yeah I agree networking is a good way to get a job so I'll also have to work on expanding my network of people I know.