September 24, 2018, 12:04:18 PM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: [Story - SciFi] The Hope of The Horizon  (Read 139 times)

Offline Official.Reminiscence

• View Profile
[Story - SciFi] The Hope of The Horizon
« on: July 05, 2018, 10:47:06 PM »
Summary:
It is the year 2942. Earth's natural resources have been depleted to dangerous levels during the Third Great War. As nations are trying to recover from the war, government leaders attempt to control the remaining resources for their country.

On the tenth day of December, a mysterious island rose up near Greenland. A Canadian Trading Ship discovered the island the next day. According to experts, the island is lush with resources that the entire globe needs. In a desperate race to become the new superpower, all 124 countries send out an expedition to the island. Only for them to vanish in thin air. In an attempt to uncover the truth of what happened to the expeditions, a global summit was issued by the United States.

Meanwhile, a deadly plague troubles rural areas around the globe. Hidden beneath this so-called plague is an ancient race that has finally reached Earth. This ancient race is known as the Archons and with a massive army rallying to its aid, will Humanity be able to overcome their differences and stand together for the sake of their survival?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So this is a story that I've been writing now for about 3 and a half years. I was hoping someone could give me feedback about it. I'm also planning it to be a manga in the future!

Offline Chronos

• University student with worldbuilding disease
    • View Profile
Re: [Story - SciFi] The Hope of The Horizon
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2018, 11:27:09 AM »
Well this looks interesting. It is certainly one of the more original concepts I have seen here.
The emergence of a new land mass with vital resources, that are depleted in the rest of the world and the geopolitical consequences of this, is an interesting premise, which has a lot of potential to tell a riveting story encompassing political intrigue and warfare alike. I would advise you to go more in the direction of science-fiction than science-fantasy, since grounding your situation closer to reality should help the reader to immerse himself in the desparation of the people struggling on a drained earth.

I do however see a problem with the plague and alien part of the story. It seems rather ... disconnected to the other storyline and although there undoubtedly will be a plot-conncetion, it feels more like two stories better told seperately, to unfold their full potential. Just to give an example: The race for the new island and the struggle between nations fighting over the last resources on earth would work excellently with a gritty, near-dystopian setting, with militaristic nations forcefully rationing what little they have and showing no mercy to unproductive members of society, with social unrest and uprisings, with stagnation, corruption and xenophobic propaganda. Doesn't really seem fitting that such a world would band together to fight off extraterrestrial invaders, now does it (be it for political or industrial-technological reasons)? Although it would be a nice change of pace to have humanity NOT come together against the invaders, to see some of the more cunning leaders ally their nations with the arriving aliens (or accept vassalization) to gain the upper hand in the ongoing war for resources with their fellow man. This would be an interesting deconstruction of the otherwise bland and unoriginal Humanity-stands-together-and-somehow-wins-against-faceless-alien-hordes-with-superior-technology-and-no-character-trope.